PDA

View Full Version : Mold in our boat

jenndon
06-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Uncovered the boat last night to start cleaning it for the summer. The motor compartment, seats, ski locker and carpet are covered in black mold. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of this??
Someone said bleach and water but I don't want to damage my dark carpet.
Thanks

Mandelon
06-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Soap and water usually does the trick. You can use a product like Virex or Sporicidin. Leave it in the sun as well as UV light helps to kill it as well.
Mold only grows on organic materials. You need to do a better cleanup job before you put the boat away next time. And let it dry out before it is covered up. It won't grow on fiberglass or even vinyl or nylon carpet, but it will grow on a dirt film, spilled food, drink, or hair and skin fragments or bits of cotton wool or leather
I put mine away without a good cleaning and found mold on every spot of spilled beer or juice. So wipe it down well, and make sure its really dry before you cover it up. You can run a fan or a dehumidifier if it will help.

jenndon
06-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Soap and water usually does the trick. You can use a product like Virex or Sporicidin. Leave it in the sun as well as UV light helps to kill it as well.
Mold only grows on organic materials. You need to do a better cleanup job before you put the boat away next time. And let it dry out before it is covered up. It won't grow on fiberglass or even vinyl or nylon carpet, but it will grow on a dirt film, spilled food, drink, or hair and skin fragments or bits of cotton wool or leather
I put mine away without a good cleaning and found mold on every spot of spilled beer or juice. So wipe it down well, and make sure its really dry before you cover it up. You can run a fan or a dehumidifier if it will help.
Thank you...Where can I find Virex or sporicidin?

Mandelon
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
At an industrial or janitorial supply place like Waxie...
Honestly just go with something like Lysol...I am sure you can find something similar at Target or Walmart....but do test it on the backside of a cushion to check for color damage. Mostly we use simple soap and water, nothing special. Maybe some Softscrub for stains.
We do mold remediation work daily....
www.spectrumrenovations.com

ROZ
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
You could always acid wash it before you put it away... :rollside:
Okay, don't do that.... :notam:

cdog
06-14-2005, 09:08 AM
One of those mini bissil steam cleaners you get at target work really good for that job.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Mandelon, are mold and mildew different? I thought they were :confused: but you're the expert on that stuff. I have always used vinegar and water 50/50 to get rid of mildew and stains. It would be safe on nearly any material. The vinegar smell doesn't last longer than it takes to clean the boat. You do need to rinse it lightly with a wet cloth afterward and put a conditioner on your vinyl when done.

MagicMtnDan
06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
I heard vinegar and water are used to get rid of yeast but I didn't know it works on mold :D

Panic Button
06-14-2005, 10:05 AM
TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate), you can get it at HD, Lowes, WalMart etc. Comes in a little box, mix it per the directions, wil not fade carpet or stain light colors. Good stuff, will also degrease area. Painters use it to kill mold and mildew on walls before painting.

Nord
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Make sure you smell it real good first....Ahhhh. Black mold, its so good!!!!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]Soap and water usually does the trick. You can use a product like Virex or Sporicidin. Leave it in the sun as well as UV light helps to kill it as well.
MAN..........CSI ***boat......DELON

ROZ
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]
Man---thinks he's RP1---delon
:D

Mandelon
06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Mandelon, are mold and mildew different? I thought they were :confused: but you're the expert on that stuff. I have always used vinegar and water 50/50 to get rid of mildew and stains. It would be safe on nearly any material. The vinegar smell doesn't last longer than it takes to clean the boat. You do need to rinse it lightly with a wet cloth afterward and put a conditioner on your vinyl when done.
Mildew is relatively inert and can grow on tile and grout. It is not considered unhealthy...Mold is a fungus and as stated will only grow on organics or a dirt film. Its hyphae, (root branch and stem structure) as well as the spores (seeds) have been associated with allergic and more severe health issues in humans and animals.
Some can be quite serious, causing memory loss, nosebleeds, difficulty breathing and flulike symptoms, anecdotal evidence suggests much worse effects are possible including brain lesions and death... :frown:
A little in the boat is no big deal, when its all over your house is when you need to worry. RAking leaves in the yard or similar activities exposes you to millions of spores, but the body can deal with temporary exposures quite well. Its long term exposure that cause issues. Headaches, migraines etc....
Man--->IAQA CMR 1072<------delon

ROZ
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
That's cool, but can you make loud farting noises with your hand under your armpit?

XtrmWakeborder
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
That's cool, but can you make loud farting noises with your hand under your armpit?
LMAO!!!!

Mandelon
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Fokker, you know I can...... :boxingguy

riverracerx
06-14-2005, 01:17 PM
First the boat is in the mold...now the mold is in the boat. :notam:

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Mildew is relatively inert and can grow on tile and grout. It is not considered unhealthy...Mold is a fungus and as stated will only grow on organics or a dirt film. Its hyphae, (root branch and stem structure) as well as the spores (seeds) have been associated with allergic and more severe health issues in humans and animals.
Some can be quite serious, causing memory loss, nosebleeds, difficulty breathing and flulike symptoms, anecdotal evidence suggests much worse effects are possible including brain lesions and death... :frown:
A little in the boat is no big deal, when its all over your house is when you need to worry. RAking leaves in the yard or similar activities exposes you to millions of spores, but the body can deal with temporary exposures quite well. Its long term exposure that cause issues. Headaches, migraines etc....
You are one sexy son of a biatch with that kind of talk.

rrrr
06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
I heard vinegar and water are used to get rid of yeast but I didn't know it works on mold :D
:D :D :D
LMAO!!!

Debbolas
06-14-2005, 02:07 PM
LMAO!!! :D :D

jenndon
06-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Ok....It's not mold, it's mildew. Now I feel better....Had a friend look at it and thats what he said.
I had the boat detailed before I put it away. With all the rains it got water in it that didn't drain out.

jenndon
06-16-2005, 06:29 AM
Ok, wiped it down with Tilex and it's gone now....