PDA

View Full Version : Tutankhamun & Golden Age of Pharaohs - King Tut Exhibit

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Anyone planning on going up there to see the exhibit?? I plan to shortly after the 4th of july weekend. I have been waiting for years to see this...I believe its been about 35 years since he was last shown hear. Probably the biggest exhibit here in so cal in quite some time.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-16-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm taking the kids in October, after the rush is over (We are still on year-round school here :rolleyes: )
I remember going to see the exhibit when I was in 1st grade, and no, it hasn't been 35 years. :D Close, though, 28, I think. 1976 or 1977. I still remember it, so I guess it made an impression on a six year old.

Miss Perfect
06-16-2005, 06:48 AM
I saw this exhibit in London a few years ago. It is definetly worth going. Awesome!

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 06:50 AM
hey, I said about... :rollside: I cant wait...did you hear about the protestors on the news protesting he was actually an african american man!! :hammerhea :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-16-2005, 06:58 AM
hey, I said about... :rollside: I cant wait...did you hear about the protestors on the news protesting he was actually an african american man!! :hammerhea :D
African, yes. African-American :confused: I don't get it. I don't watch TV, so I did not see them. Sounds pretty hair-brained to me.

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 07:12 AM
African, yes. African-American :confused: I don't get it. I don't watch TV, so I did not see them. Sounds pretty hair-brained to me.
QUOTE=My Man's Sportin' Wood]African, yes. African-American :confused: I don't get it. I don't watch TV, so I did not see them. Sounds pretty hair-brained to me.[/QUOTE]
sorry..yeah..african..(black) so used to saying african american.
African-American activists criticized the Board of Supervisors Tuesday for allowing a King Tut exhibition at the county Museum of Art, saying that renderings of the boy king as white are inaccurate.
The "Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharoahs" exhibit opens a four-city, nationwide tour at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art on June 16. Among the installations are three busts of Tut II reconstructed from the boy king's mummified corpse.
All of the busts, fashioned by three groups of researchers, show Tut as a caucasoid North African. That representation led to Tuesday's protest by about a dozen speakers, who asked that the busts be removed from the exhibit.
"There is no evidence that King Tut was white," Compton City Attorney Legrand Clegg told the board. "Egypt is on the continent of Africa."
The activists made their comments at the end of the public meeting.
No specific actions were taken by the board, but Supervisor Yvonne Brathwaite, who is African-American, did ultimately address the speakers' concerns.

barbigrl
06-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Being a past history major and all....I studied this stuff on end....I saw a very similar exhibit 4 years ago at the LA museum. I was trying to get someone to go with me to this one.....I dont know too many museum savvey people :redface:

Mrs.Racer277
06-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Anyone planning on going up there to see the exhibit?? I plan to shortly after the 4th of july weekend. I have been waiting for years to see this...I believe its been about 35 years since he was last shown hear. Probably the biggest exhibit here in so cal in quite some time.
Well worth seeing. I saw it as a kid. It was in LA.
But it was not over 35 years ago just to clear that up. :rolleyes: :D

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Being a past history major and all....I studied this stuff on end....I saw a very similar exhibit 4 years ago at the LA museum. I was trying to get someone to go with me to this one.....I dont know too many museum savvey people :redface:
ME ME ME ME ME!!! :D

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 07:27 AM
haha...they said in the 70's so I automatically think 30haha :hammerhea

barbigrl
06-16-2005, 07:28 AM
I am almost positive this is the same one I went too a few years back....I think the only difference is, is that they have some new stuff.

Mrs.Racer277
06-16-2005, 07:31 AM
haha...they said in the 70's so I automatically think 30haha :hammerhea
Watch it. :boxingguy ;)

barbigrl
06-16-2005, 07:32 AM
There's less E's in savvy, maybe that's the problem. ;)
Funny, I actually asked my co-worker how to spell that....I never won the spelling bee.....I rely too much on spell check....
Hey moderators....we need a spell check feature!! ! :D

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Watch it. :boxingguy ;)
hey now...im not trying to get roughed up by a hottie.... :D or am I?? :devil:

C-2
06-16-2005, 08:48 AM
We are gonna go, not sure when.
I learned something the other day....
Gypsies got their name when they migrated to Europe and the Europeans mistakingly thought they were from Egypt (when in fact most were from northern India/Turkey), thus the name.
And the term "I got gyped"......it all makes sense now!

barbigrl
06-16-2005, 08:50 AM
We are gonna go, not sure when.
I learned something the other day....
Gypsies got their name when they migrated to Europe and the Europeans mistakingly thought they were from Egypt (when in fact most were from northern India/Turkey), thus the name.
And the term "I got gyped"......it all makes sense now!
Do you have "uncle John's Bathroom Reader Calendar?" I just read that the other day too.... :confused: hahaa... :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
hey now...im not trying to get roughed up by a hottie.... :D or am I?? :devil:
AWWW you are forgiven. XOXOXO ;) ;)

prozach
06-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Forget the exhibit....go to Egypt to see it. Nothing they will have in LA do justice to the real thing. I went about 7 years ago and was blown away. I think its a trip everyone needs to experience in their lifetime.
Plus I don't think they have the actual coffin which Tut was buried in. That thing is unreal to see in life.

HCS
06-16-2005, 11:32 AM
You'll all be cursed. :2purples:

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 11:40 AM
AWWW you are forgiven. XOXOXO ;) ;)
and im back in the GAME!!! :eek: :D

LHC30Victory
06-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Back to the post....
How about a HOT BOAT Family day at the Exhibit?????? (AKA King Tut Run :p )
I am planning to go to the Getty Museum this Saturday, any takers? we can meet there. If ya haven't gone to the Getty,,, you are missing out on some really interesting stuff.

NOTALENT
06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Back to the post....
How about a HOT BOAT Family day at the Exhibit?????? (AKA King Tut Run :p )
I am planning to go to the Getty Museum this Saturday, any takers? we can meet there. If ya haven't gone to the Getty,,, you are missing out on some really interesting stuff.
the getty is an awesome museum...what exhibits are going on there this weekend??

LHC30Victory
06-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Rembrandt's stuff is being shown among the other usual stuff

CenCal
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Had a private showing in Washington D.C. years ago when it first can to the U.S. Knew someone who worked there at the time. Unbeveliable and a must see :)

LHC30Victory
06-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Bump
Anyone interested in the Getty for Sat am?

AirtimeLavey
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Anyone see it, yet? Going tonight.

NOTALENT
08-19-2005, 12:41 PM
haha..I was just talking about this to courtney yesterday...I was gonna look for this thread today..I want to try and go next weekend...

AirtimeLavey
08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Going to a private party there, tonight. I'll post tom. what I thought. So far, all I've heard is, it's all good.

NOTALENT
08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Going to a private party there, tonight. I'll post tom. what I thought. So far, all I've heard is, it's all good.
thats sweet...I heard it was really awesome as well..they also have other rulers from that era on display..I cant wait. are u aloud to take pics???

AirtimeLavey
08-19-2005, 01:03 PM
thats sweet...I heard it was really awesome as well..they also have other rulers from that era on display..I cant wait. are u aloud to take pics???
I'm betting that they won't allow pics., but I'll try if I can remember...i'ts open bar. :devil: