PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for rear airbag setup???

sigepmock
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey guys I'm looking for ideas and pics of rear Airbag set-ups. I am building the new truck and have seen a few pics of trucks with a cantilevered air bag setups, one with the bags mounted horrizontally, with a pivot and links connected to the axle. I am trying to find a clean install for my overload/helper air bags not the standard . Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Beer-30
06-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Cantilevered is that many more joints / pivot points to fail later on. I have had my AirLift set on for almost 7 years now with no failures (now I did it!).
On things that aren't that visible (sure you can see it on your 4X, but not that much) I prefer to keep it simple. JMO.

sigepmock
06-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I hear you on that. I just didn't like the way the bags looked on the last truck and they really seemed to limit axle movment. I was always afraid that everytime I took the truck off road I would tear the bags. Here's the old set-up:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495bags-med.jpg
Chris

Beer-30
06-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, I am by no means an expert on the subject. I just like the way mine work. Don't have room for a canti anyway, so it's not like I have a choice.
Mine are just like your old setup, the assist the leafs. Mine is all buried, though. You gotta really crane your head up under there to see mine.

garret
06-17-2005, 09:36 PM
if you want ti do it yourself i am willing to give you a hand and have contacts for parts i am in LaVerne and have done several of these before.
My truck and boat are going to be featured in Truckin mag in a few months. built the truck myself fully air bagged. If you want some help call me 909 772 8745

sigepmock
06-20-2005, 06:30 AM
if you want ti do it yourself i am willing to give you a hand and have contacts for parts i am in LaVerne and have done several of these before.
My truck and boat are going to be featured in Truckin mag in a few months. built the truck myself fully air bagged. If you want some help call me 909 772 8745
Sweet!! Thanks Garret. I think I know how I want to set mine up but I'd love some more ideas. I'm going to keep the leaf springs, I had Deaver build me a nice soft set, and use the bags for help when towing. I'll give you a call, if nothing else just to come over and see your set-up.
Thanks again,
Chris

sigepmock
06-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Anyone seen duffster? I really liked the setup on the truck he bought from Jay. I got pics of the front coil-overs just didn't keep the ones for the rear set-up. You out there duffster?
Chris

duffster
06-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Here you go.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1355P3232958.JPG

sigepmock
06-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Thanks that's just what I needed. How's the truck doing? Still Bad A$$ as always??

duffster
06-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks that's just what I needed. How's the truck doing? Still Bad A$$ as always??
Everything is going good just trying to figure out the black smoke issue when I stomp on it when towing. The crap gets all over my boat and it's driving me nuts.

garret
07-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Here you go.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1355P3232958.JPG
Too bad those traction bars make your truck ride like crap.
Acompany by the name of ORU or Off Road Unlimited makes the best riding traction bars. You can maintain a good ride and keep it over the axel which will give you the most load carrying capacity. The way you have picture sucks.

duffster
07-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Acompany by the name of ORU or Off Road Unlimited makes the best riding traction bars. You can maintain a good ride and keep it over the axel which will give you the most load carrying capacity. The way you have picture sucks.
If my truck had ORU traction bars on it would look like every lifted HD going down the road plus I hate bolt-on Pepboys crap.

sigepmock
07-05-2005, 07:04 AM
That's a rather bold statement seeing as how you've never ridden in that truck. I would disagree, it's probably once one the best riding trucks around. If you're referring to the single bar type traction bar riding like crap, I'd like you to elaborate on why you think they make a truck ride like crap. I've been doing a lot of research and do not see how they can affect the ride if properly set-up. The traction bars that ORU sells are a "Ladder bar" style and while they provide the best control of the axle in terms of rotating, they can actually limit the articulation of the rear axle side to side. Don't get me wrong they are a great product and I almost built a similar set-up, but the added complexity, the limited movement, and the inability to tranfer the load from the bags to the rear axle changed my mind. Any of the traction bar(actually anti axle wrap bars) can cause problems if not properly set-up but I think that's obvious.
Please enlighten me,
Chris

riverbound
07-06-2005, 04:30 AM
:confused: I know when Jay owned that truck I drove it a couple times and that is one of the best riding trucks I have driven. and as far as load capacity....Have you seen Jay's boat?

duffster
07-06-2005, 07:44 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1355truck.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1355P3232951.JPG
I think it rides better than stock and I'm sure Jay will back me.
Thanks Sig Ep Mock and Riverbound for sticking up.

sigepmock
07-06-2005, 09:08 AM
No problem Duffster, I was reading some of the other posts by Garret, I think he just like to stir the shit or else maybe he's just an a-hole :2purples: Either way he's lost all credibility with me.
Chris