PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead, where to beach?

Eliminator89
06-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Hello all! I've been lurking for a while and decided to join the fun. I also need some help!
I've got a houseboat set up for Lake Mead out of Calville Bay for the week of June 27th. I've houseboated many times on Powell but never on Meade. Once I'm out of the Marina, where's the best place to go. We have the houseboat, ski boat and a couple of Ski's. Two families with young kids. Looking for a place as protected from the wind as possible with a good beach and open area for tubing and skiing. We want to be close enough to the marina for gas runs but out of the traffic.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

dicudmore
06-17-2005, 12:43 PM
either go through the narrows towards temple bar (marina w/gas etc)
nice beaches that way, or there is a cove known as A-hole beach just outside Callville that last I knew was still a good sandy beach but it has the name A-hole beach for a reason... prob fine during the week.
Beach/anchor the house boat so it faces north/south for wind protection :wink:

OutCole'd
06-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Also ask the people running the houseboat store. They usually have a map and can point out the best places.

rmarion
06-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Also ask the people running the houseboat store. They usually have a map and can point out the best places.
DITTO

hotlavey
06-17-2005, 03:05 PM
either go through the narrows towards temple bar (marina w/gas etc)
nice beaches that way, or there is a cove known as A-hole beach just outside Callville that last I knew was still a good sandy beach but it has the name A-hole beach for a reason... prob fine during the week.
Beach/anchor the house boat so it faces north/south for wind protection :wink:
I agree. Through the narrows and turn right towards Temple Bar. Some great coves and beaches on the left across from Temple.

scarabrick2
06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
check over at www. las vegas hot boats.com They will give you insite.

Raisin Wake
06-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Head out to Gregg Basin, past Temple Bar. Some great beaches around Sand Point and great, smooth, water.

Eliminator89
06-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Bump!!!!
Hey guys, I'm heading out on Monday. How's the weather out at Mead. Is the wind blowing??
We're headed out of Calville Bay. We'll turn east and head through the channel. I don't particularly like the Overton arm because the shore line is so mucky. Is it better over by temple bar?
Does anyone know of specific beaches that I should head for?
Thanks

burtandnancy
06-26-2005, 09:26 AM
My kids called last nite, a bit breezy for them. As far as the houseboat goes, If you come out of Callville, just a few miles up river towards the narrows is Rotary Cove with a few good beaches, and lots of skiing coves right there. Its close back for food/fuel/ice if you need it. The beaches near Temple Bar are nice, but a lot of time to get there and back at 4 MPH. Forget the Overtom arm at this time, the beaches are not good at this water level. Speaking of water levels, don't get beached overnight, the lake levels are dropping daily. Give your houseboat/pleasure boats some slack at night.

green with envy
06-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey Burt have not seen you in a while are you going to be up there over the 4th. We are going up on tuesday. Went to Yosimite and visited don padro just got back looks like a cool lake. Cold for me, got spoiled with the warm water at mead. If your going look us up we will be at hablin or mid point.

MILKMAN351
06-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Sandy Point out past Temple Bar is probably the nicest/biggest area. You can usually always find places to ski and play and from there it's a nice boat ride up into the Grand Canyon if the water is high enough. Your going to need all day if your leaving out of Echo Bay

burtandnancy
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Green. Not sure about 4th of July yet, the heats been getting to us old folks now. But if we go we'll certainly look you up. Missed you at the Hallett Regatta...

RidinRed
06-26-2005, 09:14 PM
... the lake levels are dropping daily. Give your houseboat/pleasure boats some slack at night.
see this link
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/hourly.html
Pretty much where it's been for a while now. Has been light winds for 24 hours but, was blowing sat. Should be good for the next week or so they say (fwiw)

Outnumbered
06-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Here is your forecast:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/NVZ021.php?warncounty=NVC003&city=Boulder+City

dirty old man
06-27-2005, 07:38 AM
I've noticed lately the steeply sloped, sandy beaches, are good for a few weeks as the water raises and lowers, but the shallow beaches such as long beach (hot boat beach) get mushy and sticky and aren't worth a damn. Lots of rocky shoreline now up the Overton Arm all the way to Ann Margaret and Glory Hole. Temple Bar area and Big Sandy are OK. We seem to get wind up here at least one day per week-end. Be glad when June is over

burtandnancy
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey Green w/Envy, saw your new boat today - Fabulous! You really did it right. So after seeing it, Nancy and I decided to go to the lake for the 4 day holiday after all,in hopes of seeing it run. I hope we run across you. We'll by using the kids 24 hope bow, red and white.

mmered8299
06-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Wind has been blowing every afternoon. Go through the narrows, as you turn north up the Virgin River, right on your left will be some good beaches. If you get there during the middle of the week you should have you own place. Its called Middle Point Island. Not an island anymore but it still has some beaches. BTW save a cold one for me!

Nordicflame
06-29-2005, 10:41 AM
NWS say a tranquil hot weekend ahead (105-107). Light breezes and very warm. Actually hoteling it in Overton to cool down.
We'll have a group from up north running around in a 28 Heat, 35 Flame, 29 Outlaw and an 24 HTM.
Wave us over and we'll buy you a cold one :D
Dave