PDA

View Full Version : Surge Brakes. WHATS WOULD CAUSE THEM TO LOCK

Kilrtoy
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Surge brakes what would cause them to lock while driving.....
I need all possible answers....

OutCole'd
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
elec or hyd?

Throttle
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Sometimes on my other trailer they would lock up when I was backing up the driveway... I used to think it was the weight of trailer and the force of the truck working against each other.
I no longer back up the driveway, that seemed to fix the problem best...

Kilrtoy
06-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Good question??????????
they checked the emergency lock out and its good, but the plug to the truck from the trailer is hot.....
all four brakes locked.....

Ultracrazy
06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Good question??????????
they checked the emergency lock out and its good, but the plug to the truck from the trailer is hot.....
There should be a "L" shaped push rod under the tongue of the trailer.......if it's locked....you should be able to unlock it by pushing it up and releasing the brakes......good luck.

RiverOtter
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Surge brakes what would cause them to lock while driving.....
I need all possible answers....
:idea: Slamming on your brakes :D

TCHB
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
The hydraulic cylinder freezes up with rust. You can replace the whole backing plate, brakes, and cylinder as a package for 60 dollars.

Phat Matt
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
:idea: Slamming on your brakes :D
You beat me to it. Damn it. :lightsabe

Ziggy
06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Good question??????????
If the backup pin in the connector is hot then the little solenoid might be stuck open.
Does it happen just while backing?

Mandelon
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Surge Brakes. WHATS WOULD CAUSE THEM TO LOCK ?
That stick I jammed in there....... :hammerhea
Did you forget to take the chain and padlock off the wheels again??? :eek:

Phat Matt
06-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Whose trailer are you trying to steal? :jawdrop:

Kilrtoy
06-17-2005, 08:20 PM
My friends who will remain nameless was stuck on the side of the freeway in riverside. The finally disabled the brakes and limped to a shop, with no tailer brakes, A shop stayed open for them.... Im waiting for the call to hear the answer....
Not the way to start a trip ......
I think this trip is going on 6 hours now and there not even half way there...

Mandelon
06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Broken return spring...? Are they disk or drum brakes? Does this trailer go in salt water?

Kilrtoy
06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Broken return spring...? Are they disk or drum brakes? Does this trailer go in salt water?
Damn another good question, No to salt water

HM
06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Air (or water) in the brake lines - as it keeps expanding due to heat and locks the brakes. Happened to my sisters boat coming home from the river on the I 40. I couldn't get the bleeders to turn, so I cut the brake lines to release the pressure and get it home.

bunny 166
06-17-2005, 08:44 PM
:wink: I am not remaining nameless anymore.....we're at Prime Marine now with awesome Mike who's helping us :) ....had to pull the brake lines and bleed all the fluid out....then pryed the calipers open gently and limped over here with no trailer brakes....think it's a bad master cylinder since everything is new on the trailer....this blows :hammerhea Thanx to Kilr and Deano and Sya for calling me back.... :wink: Love all you guys!

Phat Matt
06-17-2005, 08:47 PM
That sucks. At least you are trying to go out on the water though. ;)

77charger
06-17-2005, 08:49 PM
kinda glad mine dont work at all but its only a small 21ft boat and i tow with a 2500hd.Has no prob stopping.My toyhauler on the other hand needs the brakes

Havasu Hangin'
06-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't think it's possible to lock up the complete system (all four) unless the master cylinder emergency release was tripped and or defective?
I've had a single wheel hang up, but that is usually corrosion and/or a warped drum/disc.

bunny 166
06-17-2005, 09:19 PM
I don't think it's possible to lock up the complete system (all four) unless the master cylinder emergency release was tripped and or defective?
I've had a single wheel hang up, but that is usually corrosion and/or a warped drum/disc.
Thanks HH....all 4 were locked(wheels turning, but brakes stuck)....think it's the master dealio....hopefully I'll know and be on my way to Needles.... :smile:

Sherpa
06-19-2005, 03:01 PM
the electrical connector was hot-????
and yet the brake system is hydraulic-????
you telling me that you have an electric-over-hydraulic brake system on a
boat trailer-????? is that what you're saying-? there is an electrical actuator
pushing a hydraulic master cylinder in the trailer coupler-???
sounds pretty damn overly complicated for what it needs to do. IMO....
Regular ole' Dexter surge brakes are pretty simple, and mostly idiot-proof for
what they need to do.
--Sherpa

mike37
06-19-2005, 04:42 PM
the electrical connector was hot-????
and yet the brake system is hydraulic-????
you telling me that you have an electric-over-hydraulic brake system on a
boat trailer-????? is that what you're saying-? there is an electrical actuator
pushing a hydraulic master cylinder in the trailer coupler-???
sounds pretty damn overly complicated for what it needs to do. IMO....
Regular ole' Dexter surge brakes are pretty simple, and mostly idiot-proof for
what they need to do.
--Sherpa
the electric part is for the backup lock out it engages a bypass valve so the breaks don't lock up when you back the trailer

RiverOtter
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
You beat me to it. Damn it. :lightsabe
:D