PDA

View Full Version : my trailer bearing grenaded!

river chaser
06-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Heres what is left of my bearing on my trailer:
Does anyone know if the metal sleeve towards the left side of this pic is part of the axle? :confused: Here's a pic
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/626P1010084-med.JPG

Flyinbowtie
06-19-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this, but I'll give it a shot.
The large diameter surface all the way in is the surface the inner bearing seal rides on. It does not rotate, and is machined as part of the spindle. The smaller o.d. sleeve appears to me to be a portion of the wheel bearing, from the pic it looks like the tapered part of the wheel bearing that contacts spindle surface itself. It looks to me like it may have seized to the spindle when the bearing failed....

mike37
06-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Heres what is left of my bearing on my trailer:
Does anyone know if the metal sleeve towards the left side of this pic is part of the axle? :confused: Here's a pic
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/626P1010084-med.JPG
thats part of the inner bearing
good luck getting it off you my need a new axle

river chaser
06-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this, but I'll give it a shot.
The large diameter surface all the way in is the surface the inner bearing seal rides on. It does not rotate, and is machined as part of the spindle. The smaller o.d. sleeve appears to me to be a portion of the wheel bearing, from the pic it looks like the tapered part of the wheel bearing that contacts spindle surface itself. It looks to me like it may have seized to the spindle when the bearing failed....
So if I'm understanding, the sleeve around the shaft has to come off? I tried to hit it with a screw driver, but is seems the shaft may have enlarged with the heat? Any suggestions how to get this part of the wheelbearing off?
any help is appreciated :cry:

mike37
06-19-2005, 09:03 PM
yes it needs to come off
and you don't want to damage the smooth part behind it

river chaser
06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
has anyone seized a inner bearing on the shaft, and was able to take it off?
What do you use to take if off? chisel? grinder? :idea:

mike37
06-19-2005, 09:19 PM
has anyone seized a inner bearing on the shaft, and was able to take it off?
What do you use to take if off? chisel? grinder? :idea:
have the girl in the clip you have there have her press it of with them big breast dam I like looking at her
heat work sometimes or you can use two hammers one big 8lb sledge on one side
and a ball peen hit the thing on one side and back it up on the other go around like that it will expand the bearing race so it will come off

plaster dave
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
contact evo 22

Spotondl
06-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Heat... break out the mapp gas.... heat it and tap it off with a hammer & chisel..

jbtrailerjim
06-20-2005, 05:30 AM
You can try and cut it off carefully with a cutting torch, if you have access to one. Then clean it up with some emery cloth. If the gouges are deep, my suggestion is to just get a new axle. Don't take any chances. I'd hate to see you stranded in out in the middle of nowhere with another bearing failure. Good luck.

Boatcop
06-20-2005, 05:42 AM
New axle would be the best bet, but if you're bound and determined to get the bearing off, you'll need a combination of heat and cooling.
Heat the bearing race with a torch, while cooling the shaft with ice. Lots of ice. Dry ice would work best.
This will expand the bearing and shrink the shaft so that the bearing should just slide right off.

Dribble
06-20-2005, 05:57 AM
That part is the inner race of the inner bearing. You can get it off with an air chisel but it's looking like the spindle is wasted. There should be a slight interference fit where the new bearing rides on the spindle. If you can't get that, trash the spindle.

Sherpa
06-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Myself, I'd try it this way before you break out the blue wrench.
use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.......... go slow (it's not like they cut
very fast anyway) and take your time cutting thru the inner race. don't go
into the axle spindle. after you've cut mostly all the way thru the race, then
start picking at it with a chisel to try and fully separate it. don't hit the
spindle.
then emery cloth to clean up the spindle, or a die grinder with a scotch-
brite disk..........
--Sherpa

desertbird
06-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Forget about it. Contact Quality Trailer Products. http://www.qtrailer.com/
It's easier, and a lot cheaper than you think (often less than $200) for a new axle, hub to hub, w/ bearing buddies and studs. All you need is the spring perch measurement, and the tube style. I've changed the axle on my first boat trailer and my bike trailer through them.
Good luck!

rrrr
06-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Forget about it. Contact Quality Trailer Products. http://www.qtrailer.com/
It's easier, and a lot cheaper than you think (often less than $200) for a new axle, hub to hub, w/ bearing buddies and studs. All you need is the spring perch measurement, and the tube style. I've changed the axle on my first boat trailer and my bike trailer through them.
Good luck!
Yep! Oh, on the new axle...... you might consider greasing the bearings once in a while. :D :rolleyes:

Beer-30
06-20-2005, 08:59 AM
After a second occurence, I am sure there is going to be gouges and scratches on the machined area of the spindles that you will not be able to smooth down. I have tried to run an axle after this has happend, and it will continue to fail. Just re-axle it. You will win in the long run. No more repairs for 5+ years.

Chase
06-20-2005, 09:34 AM
If you need parts..DHM enterprises will be a good help as well. I know that is who I used when i needed a new brake rotor...
I hope nothing happened to your boat in this event.. I feel for you man...