PDA

View Full Version : Merc Extended Warranty????

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
The boats a year old and I got the thing in the mail to extend the warranty from Mercruiser. Got a 496 Mag. I take care of all required Maintenance and while I may take it full throttle every on occasion I am not one to constantly run the engine very hard. Considering the cost of these freakin warranties what is everyone's take on paying thousands of dollars to extend????? What could like break and what would it cost if I didn't have the warranty????

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
how much is the extended warranty? I'd probably do it, unless it was an outrageous amount

Dribble
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't do it. If anything was going to go wrong it should have been in the first 10 hours or so. If you don't abuse them those engines are pretty bullet proof.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
i will watch this one,I will be going through the same scenario soon

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
prices are as follows:
1 year 997.50
2 year 1711.50
3 year 2289.00
4 year 2835.00
5 year 3412.50
I don't abuse it but I don't want to just pay for piece of mind. 997.50 is too much for one year. I would think at least 3-5 if I were to do it.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
than the 496HO by a long ways

JB in so cal
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Just got mine today:
1yr=1764
2yr=3045
3yr=4021
4yr=4945
5yr=5932
Why the drastic difference???
496 HO

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Isn't alot of what we pay for "piece of mind"???? If I had the funds I would do the 2 or 3 yr.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:20 PM
i sent them pictures of you in the girls tank top after the tequila shot

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Just got mine today:
1yr=1764
2yr=3045
3yr=4021
4yr=4945
5yr=5932
Why the drastic difference???
496 HO
Ouch!!!! Maybe they expect more problems with the HO? Maybe you don't have an XR with the HO so they expect drive problems? Maybe they expect since you go the HO then you will put the performance stuff on it like it was intended for?

JB in so cal
06-23-2005, 05:22 PM
i sent them pictures of you in the girls tank top after the tequila shot
OK, man. The gloves are coming off :hammer2: :hammer2:

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:25 PM
do you put on the boat in a summer,30 to 50 maybe,thats alot cash for 1 year,be nice if they let you skip a year

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Isn't alot of what we pay for "piece of mind"???? If I had the funds I would do the 2 or 3 yr.
True. I bought an extended warranty on the new car I just bought but that is because I got a good deal and it is a GM warranty not aftermarket and one little problem and the warranty will have paid for itself. But I can't see a single engine problem costing $3500 bucks unless it thew a rod or something. I have the money but I don't like spending it. That is why I have money we watch our finances closely. But maybe I just don't know enough about boats. I know repairs can be costly but I also know that when I take it to Absolute Speed & Marine then Aaron will charge me a fair price for his quality work and not a rediculously high price for crap work.

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
do you put on the boat in a summer,30 to 50 maybe,thats alot cash for 1 year,be nice if they let you skip a year
That's the thing we do alot of cruising but I haven't been able to gauge really. We put about 30 last year but couldn't always get out as much as we wanted. This year we have our newborn so we won't be staying out in the blazing hot hours of the day. On the flip side we are running it at 35-45 instead of 65-75 mph.

JB in so cal
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
since July 30, 2004 :2purples:

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:32 PM
True. I bought an extended warranty on the new car I just bought but that is because I got a good deal and it is a GM warranty not aftermarket and one little problem and the warranty will have paid for itself. But I can't see a single engine problem costing $3500 bucks unless it thew a rod or something. I have the money but I don't like spending it. That is why I have money we watch our finances closely. But maybe I just don't know enough about boats. I know repairs can be costly but I also know that when I take it to Absolute Speed & Marine then Aaron will charge me a fair price for his quality work and not a rediculously high price for crap work.
I don't have the boat I want yet..........I have a few skii's and just threw a rod. I know it's apple's vs oranges, but It's not worth the 4k to me to rush out and fix it.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
thats a good year,im at 30 ish from last september,so maybe 70hrs at one year old

jbtrailerjim
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I didn't buy it for my 496 Mag when my warranty was up. I figured if something was going to break it would have in the first year. Only problem I had was the trim pump solenoid went out on the first trip out. Since then no problems at all. The Mag and Mag Ho seem like a bullet proof engine and drive package.

JB in so cal
06-23-2005, 05:35 PM
that's 'cause you sleep so late on saturday.
Get up at 6:00, like the rest of the workers, pool boy!! :2purples:

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't have the boat I want yet..........I have a few skii's and just threw a rod. I know it's apple's vs oranges, but It's not worth the 4k to me to rush out and fix it.
See that's what I'm talking about though. It doesn't cost 4k to rebuild a jet ski engine. I had it done for like 900 bucks on mine and got it all tricked out with a ported pro-tec head and have to run 100 octane.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:37 PM
offer the extented warranty when you bought the boat?I dont remember being offered that,it would have been nice to build a 3 year warranty into the boat price,I would have paid then

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:39 PM
offer the extented warranty when you bought the boat?I dont remember being offered that,it would have been nice to build a 3 year warranty into the boat price,I would have paid then
Yes they did. I paid cash so I didn't want to think about it then I knew I could do it a year later if I wanted. Ultra makes sure everything is offered.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:40 PM
whats that?ha,,,i could have made 204 easy warranty payments on my magic

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:41 PM
See that's what I'm talking about though. It doesn't cost 4k to rebuild a jet ski engine. I had it done for like 900 bucks on mine and got it all tricked out with a ported pro-tec head and have to run 100 octane.
I'm at the mercy of the mechanics...........I can't fix it. But that's what they want to fix it. I told em just the engine in box, I'll pick it up :squiggle:

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm at the mercy of the mechanics...........I can't fix it. But that's what they want to fix it. I told em just the engine in box, I'll pick it up :squiggle:
Dude you got a freakin Sea Doo or something. Give Montclair Yamaha a call. They did my Yamaha and they also do those freakin french Sea Doos. And quit beating around the bush already and buy yourself an Ultra.

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Dude you got a freakin Sea Doo or something. Give Montclair Yamaha a call. They did my Yamaha and they also do those freakin french Sea Doos. And quit beating around the bush already and buy yourself an Ultra.
It's down to Ultra Stealth 27 and the new Dana 30 I think. I really wanted to pay with as much cash as possible, and finance as little as possible, but the wait is killing me. I actually contacted "Boatloanguy" here on the boards today.

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
french-canadian,,,canadas ok :wink:

KACHINA KEN
06-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Maybe they expect since you go the HO then you will put the performance stuff on it like it was intended for?
I'm trying very hard to keep a straight face right now.

OutCole'd
06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
since July 30, 2004 :2purples:
105 Hours... Holy crap, do leave it running while your towing it home?

riverroyal
06-23-2005, 05:58 PM
the sound

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm trying very hard to keep a straight face right now.
Ken is a perfect example.............shit, I think he went thru 2 or 3 of those things. Under factory warranty, but hey......shit happens.

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
It's down to Ultra Stealth 27 and the new Dana 30 I think. I really wanted to pay with as much cash as possible, and finance as little as possible, but the wait is killing me. I actually contacted "Boatloanguy" here on the boards today.
Nice choices!!!! 27 Shadow or 28 Stealth though??? I'm sure John will hook you up.

jdogginla
06-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Nice choices!!!! 27 Shadow or 28 Stealth though??? I'm sure John will hook you up.
Opps........27 Shadow. Typed Stealth, because I was looking at one in a mag while typing. And yeah John has been great. I've talked to him a few times and went to see him once. I try not to bug too much til I'm ready to pull the trigger..........but john is great.

JB in so cal
06-23-2005, 07:21 PM
105 Hours... Holy crap, do leave it running while your towing it home?
I have a "fake a lake" attached to the drive; sometimes I sit in the boat while my wife tows us to the storage unit. It's really cool.
Honestly. We use the crap out of it!
Since 4/1/05, we've been out every 2 weeks and it includes:wake boarding, skiing',air chair, tubing,and lots of channel cruising!!
No biggie!!
... Can I borrow someones chevron card?

Panic Button
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
My motors went out of warrenty and I didn't get the extended, 6 months later one died, the extra year was $637, new long block was $6000.00 plus another $2000 in labor & misc parts. :hammerhea :hammerhea It's a crap shoot on whether to buy it or not.

OutCole'd
06-23-2005, 07:26 PM
I have a "fake a lake" attached to the drive; sometimes I sit in the boat while my wife tows us to the storage unit. It's really cool.
Honestly. We use the crap out of it!
Since 4/1/05, we've been out every 2 weeks and it includes:wake boarding, skiing',air chair, tubing,and lots of channel cruising!!
No biggie!!
... Can I borrow someones chevron card?
That is a lot of use. Way to go. I've been going out every two weeks for the last two weeks. :confused:

rivrbrat
06-23-2005, 07:44 PM
prices are as follows:
1 year 997.50
2 year 1711.50
3 year 2289.00
4 year 2835.00
5 year 3412.50
I don't abuse it but I don't want to just pay for piece of mind. 997.50 is too much for one year. I would think at least 3-5 if I were to do it.
'' 3 WORDS Repair cost Option''
Alright here's the deal after doing a lot of searching for extended warranties and looking for Insurance at the same time '' while our new boat was under construction '' my current agent for home insurance, who had been attempting to get our car insurance business said that i can take care of all of your needs in a one stop deal, there is a little known option that most carriers offer but don't tell you about or don't want to because of the charge back to them if and when you make a claim. ''REPAIR COST OPTION'' it covers the cost of any repair to the insured vehicle or vessel, our cost for this option 0 . To top it off we are only paying 612.00 a year for a 24 foot deck boat with a 500HP motor and XR drive with Ext Hyd streeing and it is all cover under our REPAIR COST OPTION.

voodoomedman
06-23-2005, 07:56 PM
'' 3 WORDS Repair cost Option''
Alright here's the deal after doing a lot of searching for extended warranties and looking for Insurance at the same time '' while our new boat was under construction '' my current agent for home insurance, who had been attempting to get our car insurance business said that i can take care of all of your needs in a one stop deal, there is a little known option that most carriers offer but don't tell you about or don't want to because of the charge back to them if and when you make a claim. ''REPAIR COST OPTION'' it covers the cost of any repair to the insured vehicle or vessel, our cost for this option 0 . To top it off we are only paying 612.00 a year for a 24 foot deck boat with a 500HP motor and XR drive with Ext Hyd streeing and it is all cover under our REPAIR COST OPTION.
Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in finding out if anybody has filed a claim with this kinda thing and had it paid.

rivrbrat
06-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Season before last our friends wife was out with the girlfriends when she hit a rock. The insurance replaced the drive with a brand new one.... Last season launched their boat without the plugs in it and got it all wet ended up replacing the heads with brand new ones over $3000.00 parts and labor. Cost them a $50.00 deductible..

pixilatedpussy
06-23-2005, 09:36 PM
The boats a year old and I got the thing in the mail to extend the warranty from Mercruiser. Got a 496 Mag. I take care of all required Maintenance and while I may take it full throttle every on occasion I am not one to constantly run the engine very hard. Considering the cost of these freakin warranties what is everyone's take on paying thousands of dollars to extend????? What could like break and what would it cost if I didn't have the warranty????
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just replaced ours...cylinder 7 died a couple days before our 1 year THANK GOODNESS! It is 1000.00 for a year..I think it is well worth it! :wink:

Raylar
06-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Mercury gets bigger and richer every year selling these policies! They wouldn't write'um if they had to loose money on them. Most insiders claim their profits are three times higher writing these policies than selling power. I believe them. These policies won't even help the idots who "thrash and trash" their boats, cause Mercury and their insurance companies use the fine print to close these types out! The 0 cost boat insurance option sounds sweet if you've got a company that will write it. But believe me, I am pretty sure we've wrenched and thrashed more 496"s in the last four years than anybody in the trade and I can vouch for the fact a 496 thats not wounded , thrashed or unserviced will just about outlive the hull. Save your hard earned dollars and put the kids in college! And don't shop at Wal-Mart, your jobs are a risk if you do!
Raylar :rolleyes: ;) ;)

rvrtoy
06-24-2005, 08:30 AM
If anyone is considering the Merc extended warranty, Call me first and I will give you some insight to what is available for a simular cost, maybe even less.
1 619 443 1100
Ask for steve and let me know you are from the boards!

UnionJack
06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
what is out there for the 525's

OutCole'd
06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
what is out there for the 525's
I found a company that would do it for the 525's. But every shop I talked to said don't waste your money. If they do have a problem, it is going to happen in the first year.

UnionJack
06-24-2005, 08:51 AM
good to know

rrrr
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Wow, those warranties are expensive. I bought my '04 Chapparal 256 at the boat show in Dallas last February, and got a four year warranty on the 496 Mag thrown in the deal. I had no idea the warranty was worth that much.
rrfeelin' luckyrr..... :D

voodoomedman
06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Okay I got more info. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it but reputable sources told me this. The Mercury warranty is just an extension of the basic defect warranty on motor and outdrive only. If you call RVRTOY as posted above for about the same price or a little less for 5 years then you will be covered for cables, guages, electronics, wires, etc... The engine and outdrive if maintained properly will more than likely not have any problems. It's all the extras that may have a problem. The only thing not covered is the interior. Your hull should be covered for like 7 years from your manufacturer anyway. Just some food for thought. I'm still not sure because I was more worried about the engine because of the expense. If little things happen one at a time then it is not that much money although if enough things happen it will pay for itself over 5 years.