PDA

View Full Version : Havasu-Calif. man killed, 14 hurt in boat crash

H20Advantage
06-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Havasu News Herald:
By Sharon Dunham
Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:27 PM MDT
A California man died early Saturday morning in a two-boat collision north of the Island in the main channel of Lake Havasu. Authorities are investigating the cause of the accident that involved 15 people about 150 feet from shore.
The Lake Havasu Fire Department determined that Guy Lane Sutterfield, 41, of Quartz Hill, was dead when they brought him on shore, said Trish Carter, public information officer for the Mohave County Sheriff's Department, whose officers responded to the 1:18 a.m. accident.
A woman on Sutterfield's 1979 Tahiti boat was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas where she was listed in critical condition Saturday night, Carter said. A man on the Sutterfield vessel was treated at the Havasu Regional Medical Center and released.
The six adults and six children on the second boat, a 2001 Blue Water vessel, were also treated at the local hospital and released. Their names and residences have not been released,
River Medical helped the fire department take the victims to the hospital and Vessel Assist helped bring boaters to shore at Site Six on the Island, Carter said.
In a separate accident Saturday off Mesquite Bay, Carter said an inexperienced, first-time Waverunner operator injured a woman by hitting her in the water with his vessel.
The California Waverunner operator, whose name has not been released, was traveling near shore when he hit the back of one boat. A woman sitting on the stern step of a second boat jumped in the water when she saw him approaching. He turned the Waverunner, but could not avoid hitting her, Carter said.
Lake Havasu Fire Department staff took her to land, where River Medical transported her to the hospital.
Her condition was not known on Saturday night, Carter said. No one was hurt on the first boat that was hit.
The sheriff's department charged the Waverunner operator with negligent reckless operation of a watercraft, a misdemeanor offense. He was cited and released at the scene.
Another lake-related accident was reported Friday in which one man was injured in a single-boat crash Thursday afternoon.
Chris Abbott, 35, Ontario, Calif., sustained 5-inch lacerations to both shins, bruised his abdomen and possibly broke some ribs after he crashed his 1973 Hondo Jet Boat into the shore near the Havasu Pumping Station while attempting a turn, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. The boat's steering malfunctioned, causing the boat to run aground, splitting the bow apart and pushing the seating area forward.
The accident occurred around 5 p.m. and Abbott was flown to University Medical Center in Las Vegas for treatment.
The SBSD officers said their preliminary investigation indicates alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Miss Perfect
06-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Wow, looks like it was a bad day out there. Thoughts go out to those involved... :frown:

Forkin' Crazy
06-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Damn, that sucks... Hard to believe they just let the operator of the PWC go..... :confused:
I like my little river more and more.

H20Advantage
06-25-2005, 09:02 PM
In a separate accident Saturday off Mesquite Bay, Carter said an inexperienced, first-time Waverunner operator injured a woman by hitting her in the water with his vessel.
Another reason why first time operators should have some type of documented safety/operation training.
Maybe at least rental companies should be held liable for training people before just letting them go out on these things. The PWC's are becoming faster and more powerful every year.

Havasu Hangin'
06-25-2005, 09:06 PM
...officers responded to the 1:18 a.m. accident..
Very sad...boating at night can be very dangerous.

OutCole'd
06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
1:18 in the morning with six kids on the boat?? WTF is going on?
The six adults and six children on the second boat, a 2001 Blue Water vessel, were also treated at the local hospital and released. Their names and residences have not been released

rivergoer
06-26-2005, 12:43 AM
its all factors of irresponsibility :idea:

Boatcop
06-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Another lake-related accident was reported Friday in which one man was injured in a single-boat crash Thursday afternoon.
Chris Abbott, 35, Ontario, Calif., sustained 5-inch lacerations to both shins, bruised his abdomen and possibly broke some ribs after he crashed his 1973 Hondo Jet Boat into the shore near the Havasu Pumping Station while attempting a turn, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. The boat's steering malfunctioned, causing the boat to run aground, splitting the bow apart and pushing the seating area forward.
The accident occurred around 5 p.m. and Abbott was flown to University Medical Center in Las Vegas for treatment.
The SBSD officers said their preliminary investigation indicates alcohol was a factor in the crash.
I investigated an accident involving this clown earlier this week. He jumped a wake in the Hondo causing his 9 year old daughter to fly out of the seat and land on a stringer, causing possible internal injuries. She was airlifted to Phoenix. I guess it didn't screw up his vacation too bad.
We also arrested him for OUI back in 2001 with a BAC of .203%, where he found he had a warrant for Aggravated (Felony) DUI. Some people never learn. :hammerhea
I hope this isn't an indication of what the Holiday weekend is gonna be like.

Squirtin Thunder
06-26-2005, 02:48 AM
I investigated an accident involving this clown earlier this week. He jumped a wake in the Hondo causing his 9 year old daughter to fly out of the seat and land on a stringer, causing possible internal injuries. She was airlifted to Phoenix. I guess it didn't screw up his vacation too bad.
We also arrested him for OUI back in 2001 with a BAC of .203%, where he found he had a warrant for Aggravated (Felony) DUI. Some people never learn. :hammerhea
I just hope I am no where near where that SOB or anyone like him will be next weekend. What a ****in jackass !!!

BoatPI
06-26-2005, 05:44 AM
Alan would a second OUI make him good for State Prision, does a second conviction with the prior now that he knows the issues permit the County Attorney to file a felony in AZ?

Throttle
06-26-2005, 05:54 AM
Again, this is proof to be aware, be safe and responsible.

slotracer
06-26-2005, 06:03 AM
by the sounds of it the boats had it. splitting the bow apart and pushing the seating area forward. its jerks like this that screw everything up for others.
pat(slotracer) :lightsabe

Boatcop
06-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Alan would a second OUI make him good for State Prision, does a second conviction with the prior now that he knows the issues permit the County Attorney to file a felony in AZ?
Keith,
This new one was taken by San Bernardino SO, so if he's prosecuted for the OUI in California, his priors in AZ will count against him. Including any DUIs he's got. Not sure what CA law says about it.
It takes 3 OUIs to make it a Felony, although the second would get him 30 days in jail here. I'm going to make sure that that Greg with SBCSO BAIT (Boat Accident Investigation Team) knows all about his record over here, and goes for the max.

Ultrafied
06-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Keith,
This new one was taken by San Bernardino SO, so if he's prosecuted for the OUI in California, his priors in AZ will count against him. Including any DUIs he's got. Not sure what CA law says about it.
It takes 3 OUIs to make it a Felony, although the second would get him 30 days in jail here. I'm going to make sure that that Greg with SBCSO BAIT (Boat Accident Investigation Team) knows all about his record over here, and goes for the max.
That sounds good Alan. I'm glad you're taking the interest and time. I understand that everyone may make a mistake once, but when it becomes twice, the lesson wasn't learned. As in a speeding ticket, everyome complains, but it is hardly ever the first time that the person was speeding, only this time they got caught. Taking that example in OUI or DUI, well, it's time to start getting them off the lake and highways!

24ROD
06-26-2005, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Boatcop]I investigated an accident involving this clown earlier this week. He jumped a wake in the Hondo causing his 9 year old daughter to fly out of the seat and land on a stringer, causing possible internal injuries. She was airlifted to Phoenix. I guess it didn't screw up his vacation too bad.
WTF! Hurts his 9yr old and keeps fu**ing up! I hope they throw the book at him! Send him to jail for a long time and let BIG BUBBA take care of him. :hammer2:

riverroyal
06-26-2005, 09:59 AM
the mom in the accident used to babysit me and my sister,my parents are heading home to havasu,they were visiting us here,they arent going home because of the accident,just heading home,,,they were going to call us tonite,give us a update if there is one.

Kegel King
06-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Everytime we read these stories durring the summer it seems like the same thing....It's always 1am or 3am what kind of idiot is out on the river at 1am with kids in the boat?....

Throttle
06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Everytime we read these stories durring the summer it seems like the same thing....It's always 1am or 3am what kind of idiot is out on the river at 1am with kids in the boat?....
It has been pretty nice on the water this past week with warm temps and a full moon, however I am extremly carefull. I generally do not stay on the water past curfew...

BoatPI
06-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks Alan, and it is 3 for a mantitory Felony and State Prison in CA. But as I recall prior show knowledge of what occurs when yu drink and operate. As if that should make any sense, but in CA I believe this comes into play for an injusy colision, permiting the DA to use this and enhance the charge. Not my exact subject matter but perhaps we have a DDA or DUI atty that could comment on this. And I forgot the legal term at this senior momnet, but there is one (non latin). And FYI a case here by my house, in Sunset Beach, resulted in the compounding of felonies and enhancements for death related actdents. Three girls lost their lives on PCh about ten years ago, and things changed. A few are serving 25 to life now as a result.
Anyway, this guy needs it!

vdrivenman
06-26-2005, 04:56 PM
in Texas they have to be convictions, not arrest to enhance and with in a ten year period. if they are on probation and break it,it goes as a conviction and also a probation violation and they get the original terms of the sentence +.
plus we have reciprocal agreements with other states for enhancement.
how bout cali & az ?

termiteguy
06-26-2005, 05:14 PM
i hopenot i will be in parker this weekend i dont need that crap around me
btw....i like the name on the new boat :messedup:

Boatcop
06-26-2005, 05:25 PM
in Texas they have to be convictions, not arrest to enhance and with in a ten year period. if they are on probation and break it,it goes as a conviction and also a probation violation and they get the original terms of the sentence +.
plus we have reciprocal agreements with other states for enhancement.
how bout cali & az ?
Yep!
Arizona has this phrase in the law:
and has previously been convicted of an act in another state that if committed in this state would be a violation of section 5-395 (OUI), the person shall be sentenced to serve not less than ninety days in jail,
Similar language is in the DUI Statute.
And in Cali:
(D) For the purposes of this section, a conviction of any offense
in any state, territory, or possession of the United States, the
District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the
Dominion of Canada that, if committed in this state, would be a
violation of Section 23103, as specified in Section 23103.5, or
Section 23140, 23152, or 23153, (DUI) or Section 191.5 or paragraph (3) of
subdivision (c) of Section 192 of the Penal Code, is a conviction of
that particular section of the Vehicle Code or Penal Code.
I couldn't find any similar language regarding BUI (OUI) in CA, but I do know that people have had their licenses suspended in CA, based on prior OUIs in AZ, or an AZ OUI on top of prior DUIs in CA.
It's probably in there, but I don't feel like going through the few thousand pages of California Law.

shueman
06-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Keith,
Apparently this guy rented a house in Havi from some friends of mine (confirming now....)
The place was TOTALLY TRASHED....!!!

J540
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
COOL the jets Turbo, whats wrong with haveing you family ( Kids being 9,10,11,12,14) or who ever out on the water 150' off shore at any time of night. That is about how far i anchor my boat off the beach at crazy hourse camp ground. when its HOT out we sit out on the boats all the time at night and BS swim listen to tunes, the kids play and swim sometimes till 2:00am. whats the big deal, thats why we camp out there or at the Nautical Inn, or the river house so the kids can play in the water and have fun. and we can hang out in the boats and maybe go for a late night cruise. We shouldn't have to worry about some JACKASS slaming in to the boat. Bottom line it doesn't matter who's in the boat at 1:00/whatever time you dont even know WTF thay were doing. BTW iam not an Idiot, just like to have fun with my kids/friends. and that doesn't have a time-limit or time-frame when we are out on Vacation.

SummitKarl
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
A BAC of .203, shouldn't you be passed out or tossing cookies at that point. gezz, well some people just have to hit rock bottom for things to sink in, but at the risk of his children, :hammerhea I would be calling C.P.S.
boatcop check your PM

JetBoatRich
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Havasu News Herald:
By Sharon Dunham
Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:27 PM MDT
A California man died early Saturday morning in a two-boat collision north of the Island in the main channel of Lake Havasu. Authorities are investigating the cause of the accident that involved 15 people about 150 feet from shore.
The Lake Havasu Fire Department determined that Guy Lane Sutterfield, 41, of Quartz Hill, was dead when they brought him on shore, said Trish Carter, public information officer for the Mohave County Sheriff's Department, whose officers responded to the 1:18 a.m. accident.
A woman on Sutterfield's 1979 Tahiti boat was airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas where she was listed in critical condition Saturday night, Carter said. A man on the Sutterfield vessel was treated at the Havasu Regional Medical Center and released.
The six adults and six children on the second boat, a 2001 Blue Water vessel, were also treated at the local hospital and released. Their names and residences have not been released,
From my home town :eek: very sad news.

JetBoatRich
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
That is incredible :o what a asshole, how can someone do that :o I hope his daughter is OK and knows what an ass her dad is and the danger he put her in

KACHINA KEN
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
For real. Puttering out into the lake with your ladies for some nookie is one thing at 1 or 2 am but leave the kids with someone responsible. I don't ever think I was up past 11 pm until I was 15!

meaniam
06-26-2005, 09:12 PM
jesus christ this is an idiot thes man will never learn then.i hope the judge weighs heavly on his past oui and here about earlier instaces. he wont learn even while killing someone else

rivergoer
06-27-2005, 05:07 AM
you know what the guy probably doesnt remember shit is going to go through the trials and do it again seems like thats the pattern..what he needs is a big fu(ken ass beating!!!! (without the influence of alcohol of course :boxed: ).

XTRM22
06-27-2005, 05:25 AM
COOL the jets Turbo, whats wrong with haveing you family ( Kids being 9,10,11,12,14) or who ever out on the water 150' off shore at any time of night. That is about how far i anchor my boat off the beach at crazy hourse camp ground. when its HOT out we sit out on the boats all the time at night and BS swim listen to tunes, the kids play and swim sometimes till 2:00am. whats the big deal, thats why we camp out there or at the Nautical Inn, or the river house so the kids can play in the water and have fun. and we can hang out in the boats and maybe go for a late night cruise. We shouldn't have to worry about some JACKASS slaming in to the boat. Bottom line it doesn't matter who's in the boat at 1:00/whatever time you dont even know WTF thay were doing. BTW iam not an Idiot, just like to have fun with my kids/friends. and that doesn't have a time-limit or time-frame when we are out on Vacation.
I'm going to have to agree with J540 on this one, as long as the Tahiti had it's lights on there's no excuse for this accident and the kids being out isn't really an issue. I spent many nights as a kid either sleeping in the boat while others cat fished, or cat fishing myself from age 5 on up.
Chuck

BoatPI
06-27-2005, 06:06 AM
One thing I am sure they will look at is child endangerment issues. Safe to say he should be in state prison. And on .20 alcohol. tollerence is the word here. Alcoholics can sustain themselves walking and talking with a higher level of alcohol than a non consumer or a perosn (like me) that stops at a beer or two a day.

Ex_Californian
06-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi folks. I heard about the Hondo boat crash over the weekend. The driver is one of my friends I have known since High School.
I just thought you might want to know his daughter is going to be ok. Chris did go to Phoenix with his wife after the first accident. He was then told to go back to the river. I know most of you have already passed judgment on him but I think it's important that you know he felt horrible about what happened to his daughter. Other than what you already read earlier in the post, Chris is a good, loving father to his daughter, what happened to his daughter was truly an accident. I dont know of too many pleasure boats that carry seat belts. And I am positive some of you have accidently caught air on a wake before.
As for what happened after he returned... I wont try to justify or defend anything that happened. I just know we all deal with things differently.
Be careful out there.

Three Days Only
06-27-2005, 08:02 AM
We saw the aftermath of this accident Friday night / Saturday Morning. Very tragic to see all the young kids and adults in udder shock over what had occured. My thoughts go out to the family and friends of the man that died, and the women Katie (I believe) who I hope is okay and has a quick recovery. Hopefully everyone will make it thru the times to come.
Jeff (3DO)

Redneck
06-27-2005, 08:11 AM
we were in the channel near the bridge at about 1 am that night didnt see anything coming but it does snap you back into reality about how dangerous night rides are. I never drink when I go out at night due to the dangers out there. Hopefully everyone else will have a full recovery will keep the prayers going for them.