PDA

View Full Version : TV question, Plasma or EDTV, or LDC

surfer2001
06-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm lost too many out there, what's best?
Help 42" wanted

Boozer
06-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Well first and foremost you need to decide what kind of money you want to spend. Then you can go from there.
I recently put a 52" (I think its 52 but I could be mistaken it might be 50 or 53) Sony Projection LCD in at my fathers house. It has a great picture but I do have a few gripes about it. For starters when you turn the TV on it takes a couple minutes before the projectors are warmed up enough to display the true colors. When you turn it off it takes a few minutes for them to cool down so you have a lit up screen for a few minutes after shutting off the television. Also, the picture could be a little brighter.
Roz was talking about a new technology that Sony developed. It's suppose to be comparable to DLP but even better.

cdog
06-27-2005, 10:35 AM
I've been looking too. The DLP's seem to be the best performance and price. Samsung is the best from what i've seen. They also make the parts for many other co's. Keep in mind that the plasma's and the LCD's will fade performance after 5 years so you can count on buying another 5k tv in 5-7 years and you can bet it'll go out at the wrong time.

surfer2001
06-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm looking at the cosco tv's because of their return policy. no qusetions asked.

cola
06-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Panasonic plasma. 42" under 2k and the picture in very good & they say life is way better then before. I bought my son one for a wedding gift & installed it in there bedroom. It's bad ass. :D

Boozer
06-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm looking at the cosco tv's because of their return policy. no qusetions asked.
Then go with the plasma. Just dont get that crazy off brand they sell Akaiwa or some wacky shit like that.

ROZ
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
If you have a glare problem in the room, get the TFT LCD... Other than that, the Panasonic unit th42pd50u has superior downconversion(1080i down to 480P) processing.. I think they have a Pioneer as well....

ROZ
06-27-2005, 11:29 AM
And the best is currently a PRO920HD Pioneer Elite Plasma that I doubt you'll find at Costco.... but I know a guy... ;)

surfer2001
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
And the best is currently a PRO920HD Pioneer Elite Plasma that I doubt you'll find at Costco.... but I know a guy... ;)
Can you put me in contact with him?
THX,
Don

moneypit
06-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Samsung DLP... no questions asked

ROZ
06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Can you put me in contact with him?
THX,
Don
You are :D
Samsung DLP... no questions asked
If you thought the current and older dlp's looked good, wait til mid july. Their new 1080P version will be out..... ;)

Dribble
06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Well first and foremost you need to decide what kind of money you want to spend. Then you can go from there.
I recently put a 52" (I think its 52 but I could be mistaken it might be 50 or 53) Sony Projection LCD in at my fathers house. It has a great picture but I do have a few gripes about it. For starters when you turn the TV on it takes a couple minutes before the projectors are warmed up enough to display the true colors. When you turn it off it takes a few minutes for them to cool down so you have a lit up screen for a few minutes after shutting off the television. Also, the picture could be a little brighter.
Roz was talking about a new technology that Sony developed. It's suppose to be comparable to DLP but even better.
My new 52" Mitsubishi DLP has a great picture but also has the same on/off quirks as yours. It has a cooling fan that makes some noise. The picture on high def is incredible though.

ROZ
06-27-2005, 01:52 PM
My new 52" Mitsubishi DLP has a great picture but also has the same on/off quirks as yours. It has a cooling fan that makes some noise.
Cooling fan on is normal for all dlp/lcd as is the warm up and cool down period during tv on ./pff.....
BTW, Mit's DLP's(mostly the 725 series) are my favorite rear projection tv....

cola
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
If you have a glare problem in the room, get the TFT LCD... Other than that, the Panasonic unit th42pd50u has superior downconversion(1080i down to 480P) processing.. I think they have a Pioneer as well....
Roz, can you get this unit.
Thanks, Mike

thom
06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
check out the JVC i just got one and it has a great pic...

LHC30Victory
07-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Bump
Roz - you have mail :eek:

charlyox
07-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Panasonic plasma. love it.

*BN*
07-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm ordering two these Monday.
Sharp’s LC-45GX6U AQUOS™ is a state-of-the-art 45" widescreen1 HDTV that can easily enhance the decor of any family room, living room or den. The LC-45GX6U is the largest LCD-TV available with a built-in HDTV / CableCARD™ system, and it displays all content in full HD spec (1080p) resolution, the highest of the DTV resolutions. With a true 16:9 aspect ratio, full HDTV resolution of 1920 x 1080 and breathtaking color purity, it is a next-generation TV to carry you into the high-definition future. The LC-45GX6U utilizes Sharp’s proprietary Advanced Super View/Black TFT Panel, which provides levels of high brightness (450 cd/m2), an 800:1 contrast ratio, and wide viewing angles (170º x 170º). The LC-45GX6U with full CableCARD™ "Plug and Play" capability also features an elegant new titanium design with detachable speakers to ensure the sound is as outstanding as the picture. In addition, the included table stand can be easily removed for wall mounting applications.

sam pioske
07-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Roz has it right Pioneer Elite usually the best. L G and Samsung jointly own the biggest plant making diplays for this stuff. Plasma is done after time! DLP's have a customer replacable light bulb !00 w G E soft glow. LOL.. 35 years of this bull shit. P S Costco stuff usually last years, I know thier Pioneers are by model #s Back to the V.O.

mmered8299
07-09-2005, 08:31 PM
I saw a 102" flat screen something or other last month in a show. I think it was the biggest TV in the world. It was a Samsung. It wasn't priced.

BoatPI
07-09-2005, 08:39 PM
It does depend on your budget. I just purchased a Panasonic 50" Plasma HD (50PX50). Incredible picture with the newer 60,000 hour life plasma. Internal tuner if u need it, just great. It has HDMI input also. Now I got a great deal at Best Buy as they matched another price ($4G). But I have seen the 42" models for as low as $3,295. These are the new 05' models.
In my opinion ED is just an inxpensive way to obtain a larger screen in a thin model. U might as well get LCD projection in HD. But I will never look back after this HD. And DVD quality with the amp, sub, etc, is unbeatable.
I am fortunate enough to live in Surf City and Verizon has Fios fiber optic wored the entire city. The net fiber is being installed this week (5 times faster than DSL same price) , followed by unlimited telephone service with voice mail switched to e mails if I wish. HDTV is expected by the end of the year.
I think the Panasonic 42" he mentioned is the 42" model like mine but in a 42" version. Look at the picture, they do vary somewhat, but from what I read the electronics in the new Panasonics are fantastic and the price is about $25 less that Pioneer. maybe Roz and fill in the rest.

*BN*
07-09-2005, 09:13 PM
No doubt this is a great TV, looked at it extensively but I just like the LCD better than Plasma or I would by this also.
PANASONIC TH-50PX50U 50-IN. ONYX PLASMA TV - ...Product Code: TH50PX50U Mfg Part #: TH-50PX50U
Sale Price : $3,489.99

Paul65k
07-09-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm ordering two these Monday.
Sharp’s LC-45GX6U AQUOS™ is a state-of-the-art 45" widescreen1 HDTV that can easily enhance the decor of any family room, living room or den. The LC-45GX6U is the largest LCD-TV available in the market today.
This unit is without a doubt technically the best of the choices between LCD and Plasma....the 2 "Flatscreen" formats. DLP is very good and much lower in cost then the "Flatscreen" alternatives, they actually are not in the same category at all. If you have the room for DLP which basically is just a bit smaller than a typical projection bigscreen, then this is the most cost effective solution.
If you are looking for "Flatscreen" solutions then hopefully I can shed some light on the subject as I am in this business and work for a Major manufacturer. There are 2 basic differences between Plasma and LCD technology. Plasma uses a technology very similar to a TV Tube, basically charging a phosphor (Red, Green or Blue) pixel and then turning it off again very much the same way the tubes in a CRT do the same thing. This is a very power intensive technology and creates a great deal of heat. the picture is very good but quite honestly this technology has 3 major areas where it differs from LCD:
Power Consumption - Plasma uses 2-3 times the amount of energy to run the unit. This also creates a great deal or additional heat, and should be given extra clearance to insure maximum product life
Weight - The average Plasma weighs approx 2.5 times as much as a comparable LCD unit.........Typically you will need to re-enforce a mounting surface (wall) for a 42" or larger Plasma screen with LCD this is not necessary and can be supported by a standard 2X4 wall with 16" centers
Longevity - This is the nasty little secret about Plasma, no manufacturer talks openly about this but if you read the publications they will all discuss this. Since a plasma is a constant charge and discharge technology it is actually wearing itself out each and every time you use it. The first units were notorious for "Burning" an image on the screen....much like the computer monitors of the 80's and 90's.....can you say "Screen Saver"....that's what created the need for these things. If you look at plasma screens that are in sports bars you can usually see an ESPN logo in the lower right hand corner even when the channel is changed. This is why most Financial institutions and Digital signage have moved away from Plasma technology.........LCD does not exhibit this issue. Some of the new units are claiming a 40,000 hour "Half Life" which is pure BS....but currently the claim.
The major benefit to Plasma right now is price. It is approx. 20 - 25% lower in cost than the comparable sized LCD unit and it is currently available in larger sizes than LCD.
LCD Technology on the other hand uses a constant light source or backlight called a CCFT (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Tube)....Cold being the operative word. With a constant light source the LCD technology basically allows the light to come through a reflective system that allows the pixels to be created in Red, Green or Blue. LCD technology allows the unit to run much cooler than Plasma and use much less power to operate. With CCFT lighting the unit simply opens and closes channels for the light to come through with a constant light source. This is also why the picture appears much more like a picture and it is more difficult to see the individual pixels on an LCD monitor.
So the bottom line is that LCD is a far superior technology to Plasma and why Sony will be abandoning Plasma within 24 months and will be introducing a complete line of LCD units within the next 60 days.
The main reason this Sharp unit is currently superior in this space is that it is currently the only "Flatpanel" that can display 1080P (1920X1080) which is a far superior to the 1366X768 technology available on almost every other "Flatpanel" alternative.......not much use today, but certainly this will keep you from being obsolescent before the unit wears out. LCD has a stated 40,000 hour "Half Life" but unlike Plasma the lights can be replaced.
If you are going to spend the big $$$ for a large "Flatpanel" you would be much better off with LCD technology vs. Plasma.....the whole industry is moving that way.....If you would like some more help PM me and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

*BN*
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Paul65K,
What you have stated I have read and heard many times. I'm glad you posted this because it just makes my choice easier to swallow.
Now can I ask you a question........Do you think it would be wise to by the extended warranty 2-3-4 or 5 year?

Paul65k
07-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Paul65K,
What you have stated I have read and heard many times. I'm glad you posted this because it just makes my choice easier to swallow.
Now can I ask you a question........Do you think it would be wise to by the extended warranty 2-3-4 or 5 year?
No, NO and NO!.....In many cases the only profit generated on a sale today is the sale of an extended warranty. If you have a problem with one of these it is most likely to happen during the included manufacturer's warranty period.

ROZ
07-09-2005, 11:50 PM
I saw a 102" flat screen something or other last month in a show. I think it was the biggest TV in the world. It was a Samsung. It wasn't priced.
Funny you say that... LAst year pne of Steven Tyler's assistant asked us if we would get ahold of one of SAmsung's 80" plasma tv's... I think there was only like 5 made.. One was at the show he saw it at... We couldn't help him...

rivergoer
07-10-2005, 07:08 AM
yeah i just bought thi bad a$$ 10 inch black and white off a crack head in an alley way. it has a good picture but it smells funy???? :D