PDA

View Full Version : Tow rig Bounce

sunj_e
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I was towing my boat to castaic last thursady and noticed on the way there and back, between 40 and 55 MPH, the front end of my rig would bounce up and down. Anybody know the cause and how to fix? I have a 21 ft open Bow and my rig is a 97 tahoe with a 5 in lift and 35 in tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated, going to Havasu end of july and would like to get there without all the bounce.

XtrmWakeborder
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Is the front of your boat secured to ur trailer with a strap or anything? Or is it just hooked onto a bar? My boat use to bounce until we welded an eye hook to the trailer to strap the front of the boat down. It use to gain momentum and bring the front of the truck up and down. Now the problem is solved.

Beer-30
06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Is it the boat bouncing? or the Tahoe?
If I read what I think I read, I would look at the front tires for a separation. Look all the way around for a "raised" bubble-like portion.
Or, you may have chucked the weights off of the front rim or rims. I had a separation on the front of the dually. Bounced for about 5 seconds at 80 mph, and then promplty came apart and tore up the fender.

sunj_e
06-28-2005, 04:42 PM
It seems like the front end of my truck that is bouncing.

cc322
06-28-2005, 07:19 PM
What type of shocks do you have? also maybe you are running too much air in the tires. Does your truck sit level with the boat hooked up or does the rear end sag, might need to bag it. I would look at the shocks first. If you are not running BILSTIENS I would highly look into installing them, much better on compresion and rebound, If you are running cheap shocks Fabtec, rancho, pro crap I mean comp this could be your cause. Also do you overload the inside of the tahoe in the back? Proper weight distribution is a must on the shorter tow vechicles good luck.

tahitijet
06-28-2005, 10:53 PM
i think i'd look at the shocks.. I'm thinking with only a 5" lift and 35's you probaly have some extra turns on the torsion adjusters to clear the tires. The truck may be bouncing up front all the time.. just much more noticable with the extra weight out back causeing the front to lift even more and taking weight off the front wheels. check to see if you have good shocks and if your sagging alot out back might want to look into overload bags.

JetBoatRich
06-29-2005, 04:50 AM
I would get a slight bounce until I adjusted the tire pressure :cool: Like cc322 said air down a little and test it out.

sunj_e
06-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I will check out if lowering the tire pressure will help, if not, then check out the shocks.