PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Boat Insurance has defrauded me!

BUSTI
06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Hello to the boards its been 5 weeks since my last post, primarily because we moved our business from Irvine CA to Huntington Beach. Wow was that move disruptive to my life!
Well any way I want to warn as many of you as possible about Progressive boat insurance. My new SPECTRA 20 sustained heavy damage to the bottom of the boat when we struck a submerged object. We really didn't recall hitting anything yet whilr the boat was at anchor the auto bilege pump was coming on every ten minutes and twice the bilge pump pumped out 5 to 7 gallons at one time.
We immeadiately trailered the boat and our inspection showed cracks in the fiberglass on both sides of the grate running paralel to the grate. Also the fins on the grate were damaged. One was cracked and the other just knocked off. One of the cracks ran to the transom were it went up the transom and then laterally to the drain plug fitting. However the most obvious damage was that the pump was hit so severely that the pump against the transom was cracked around all the caulking. As if something pushed up on the pump. The damage contimued inside the engine well with the cracks in the glass.
Now we ruled out at anchor with rollers bobbing the boat up and down and maybe the pump bouncing off the ground, as we anchor the boat in 5 feet of water and we were with the boat the entire day never wittnessing this. Also we never tie down the boat with straps around the pump amd the boat has never been beached, The bottom is as nice as the deck!
I returned the boat to GS Marine, who built the boat, and called Progressive insurance. my first mistake was telling them the truth. I reported the damage and told them that I did not recall a specific collision with a log or anything and I was confident we didn't run aground. Most likely we sustained the damage from hitting something partially sumerged or submerged obscured from our vision. we hit what ever probably at a high rate of speed and mistook it a bad roller. The water was rough that day but no rougher than what the rest of the Bayliners on the water couldn't handle.
5 weeks later and after 30 phone calls Prgressive has denied claim. Now policy says I am covered for sudden impact and any resulting damage. The problems started when the inspecting claims adjuster inspected the boat at Greg Shoemakers. His report was he saw the damage that was obvious he claimed. But he couldn't PINPOINT the specific impact area so in his opinion the damage was not consistent with a collision. That is to say there was no two inch hole or scrape in the hull so there for he couldn't tell if there was a collision yet he admitts there is damage. He couldn't explain the damage but because he couldn't identify the exact impact point no coverage.
I screamed in the phone WHAT? That is like telling the car owner I Can't cover your claim because the front end of your car is so badly damaged we can't identify which part of the front end took the initial impact. Or I can't see the forest for the trees.
The supervisors at Progressive decided that the damage was consistent with normal wear and tear. despite the receipt from GS Marine showing the boat installation and the pump are brand new. Before I call my attorney I called 9 of my friends that also have Progressive and ALL of them have joined me in cancelling their policies with Progressive and we all went to SafeCo. Now bear in mind these assholes have insured me for the last 10 years including 3 boats, two 40 foot motor homes, one 38 foot travel trailerand including two toy haulers. Not including my two son's shit. And all of this from a man that has never filed a claim with them. My wife estimates we have paid them $20,000.00 over the past 10 years.
My bill to repair the Soectra was 1,900 bucks.
PROGRESSIVE IS GOOD AT COLLECTING PREMIUMS AND THEY ARE JUST HORRIBLE AT PROVIDING COVERAGE!
bEWARE THEY ARE A FRAUDULENT CARRIER AND i WILL SUE THEIR ASS EVEN IF I LOSE. tHEY PHOCKED WITH THE WRONG BULL.
I got tired of waiting for them and paid for GS to repair the boat myself...........but please beware

BROADMINDED
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Sorry To Hear About All Your Troubles. That Is Just Wrong

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Did you have a fiberglass expert inspect the cracks?
Cause they could put it in writing their opinion of point of impact and what type of impact caused those cracks.
Sorry for the insurance trouble.

redi4fun
06-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Busti,
Progressive denied your coverage because they could not identify a specific impact point right?
:idea: Maybe the impact point was the fin that got knocked clean off the boat. Both fins were definitely damaged right? As was the seal completely around the grate? Sounds it me as if the fins of the grate took most of the impact and transfered the energy the the engine mounts and to the pump itself. :confused:
The fins are the lowest point on the boat are they not? :confused:
Makes sense to me!!!!!

INSman
06-28-2005, 12:59 PM
I would certainly imply your contact with the Dept. of Insurance, the Insurance Commissioner and the Better Business Bureau at minimum and maybe hint of a "Bad Faith" suit possibly in the works unless they resolve your claim. The burden is on the insurance company to disprove your claim.

MagicMtnDan
06-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Insurance companies suck - some more than others. The ones that charge the lowest premiums usually offer the least service which reinforces the notion that you get what you pay for.
We all want good insurance when you need it and cheap insurance the rest of the time. Unfortunately that isn't possible. it's always a good idea to spend a little more to get the peace of mind you need with your "stuff."

cdog
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I've had the same experiance with them. I hit a log or sandbar at havasu and somehow it damaged the engine and driveplate and they have failed to even show up for the inspection when the engine was dissasembled. They wanted to inspect the engine as it was in new jersey at fonse performance (my engine builder) but the inspector never followed up. Meanwhile I have heard nothing from them since May. Again I don't know weather it's best to press the issue or just forget about it.

slink
06-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Great, I literally just renewed my policy right before this post. Policy expired tomorrow. Hope it works out in the end.

redi4fun
06-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Busti the more I read your post the more I think the initial impact was on the fin.
How was the one remaining fin cracked?
The description that you gave of the grate seal as well as the pump seal seem to it real obvious that something connected to the pump took a big hit.
I understand the semantics in the policy that state they need to determine point of impact to pay the claim, but what is not to say that the missing fin was that point of impact?

boxscore
06-28-2005, 01:10 PM
That kind of stuff really lights me up. I'd go after them full force even if it cost me more with atty fees, etc.

CandyA$$
06-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Seems to me like the inspector was having a bad day or did not know much about boats.
Did you take pictures?
Ask for another inspection and different inspector.

Cole Trickle
06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I am awating more info before I make a judgement.
I have dealt with Progressive a couple of times as a Broker/Agent and have not heard a ton of negative feedback from customers?
Maybe try the claims supervisor and if that dosen't work get ahold of your agent and have them contact the company and there rep directly.
I have had my past 2 boats with them but have never submitted a claim.
Brandin

nhbuoy
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
INSman has the right idea...They don't like lawsuits or us peons calling the Better biz bureau/ and ESPECIALLY the insurance comissioner....See if statute 93-A is in your adjusters' vocabulary as well...The squeaky wheel WORKS...

Buster
06-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Busti, that sucks !!! I'm sorry to heer about your problems with Progressive. I to use them for my RV and boat and have questioned wether this could/would happen if I filed a claim. My boat comes up in August for renewal so I think it is time to do some more research.
Best of luck on your suit...

BUSTI
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Thank you for your suggestions I have made a list and intend to not let this thing die. Greg Shoemaker told me and the inspector that only a sudden impact could have done such damage. I just called the claims supervisor here in Los Angeles and asked him to forward the report and all the photos ect from the inspector. He said he would send them. He then asked me why and I told him that I was convinced that this claim was a legitimate claim and that I was just doing my homework. As the conversation went on he kept asking why I wanted the info...what possible good could it do me? My attorney told me this am not to mention lawsuit as then the staff would deny me the information and the claim would be refered to rheir legal department and we would have to supeona the report as a part of discovery.
I kept my cool and just said that I know I was entitled to have a copy and that I wanted it. He kmows the story and was trying to goat me into saying lawsuit.
Yes, I am covinced that the initial impact point was the grate. And as the boat slid over the object the damage continued aft. I asked the inspector if he thought the damage was from shotty workmanship? He said absolutely not. In fact he said the restoration was so good it might be the best jet boat resto he has ever seen. Man I wish I had that statement in writing!
Well I will keep you guys posted mean while I will be at Riverland @ The Parker Strip this 4th of July. Having the time of my life in my new Spectra 20 (recenlty repaired) with my wife, my sons, my friends and my Beagle Rocket ........life doesn't get any better than that, except if I could get those assholes at Progressive to pay me.
Just for a word to the wise....info I didn't know.....till my attorney told me. Progressive is the most complianed about casualty company in the state of CA. Information that would have been nice to know from my agent.
BUYERS BEWARE THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE. But I wll get satisfaction even if it costs me money, time and effort.
Hang on Progressive you are going to think the Marines have landed by the time I am done with you!

Michael Minegar
06-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I own a Body Shop in Boise, ID. Progressive is one of the worst insurance companies out there. When I see their ads on TV or in print I wanna puke. They take advantage of everybody. I tell my customers that you get what you pay for...period. Do not fall for it. Geico is another rip. Don't even think about them....

carbonmarine
06-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Who was the inspector for Progressive.??
Rick32 :chi:

Ziggy
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Insurance companies suck - some more than others. The ones that charge the lowest premiums usually offer the least service which reinforces the notion that you get what you pay for.
We all want good insurance when you need it and cheap insurance the rest of the time. Unfortunately that isn't possible. it's always a good idea to spend a little more to get the peace of mind you need with your "stuff."
Soooooooooo, which Insurance Co. do you have to cover YOUR boat Dan? :yuk: :rolleyes:
Busti,
Keep after them..I had a similar case where one of my cars was rear ended by a Progressive insured.....they tried like dirty dogs to lowball a payout and I kept after them until I got what I felt was realistic compared to market value...they know they have an open claim they want to close and the longer it sits the more it costs them so they'll try to seem proactive by offering a (lowball)settlement quick...
Good luck bro.

Wonderboy
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
So how is that SafeCo insurance? Are they good?

purrfecttremor
06-28-2005, 03:45 PM
i had a theft claim last year with progressive.i took the boat to shockwave,the inspector made his appointment on time an gave s/w the ok to replace every thing in the boat that was stolen and the cut me a check for all my personal items that were stolen.they called me every three days duing the repair to make sure i was happy!
i thought my premiums would go up but nope renuid three months later and same competitve price!was i lucky?your guess is as good as mine.

MagicMtnDan
06-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Soooooooooo, which Insurance Co. do you have to cover YOUR boat Dan? :yuk: :rolleyes:
Busti,
Keep after them..I had a similar case where one of my cars was rear ended by a Progressive insured.....they tried like dirty dogs to lowball a payout and I kept after them until I got what I felt was realistic compared to market value...they know they have an open claim they want to close and the longer it sits the more it costs them so they'll try to seem proactive by offering a (lowball)settlement quick...
Good luck bro.
I sure as hell don't have Progressive covering my cars like you do :D
People who have expensive stuff (houses, cars, boats, etc.) too often look for the lowest price. As we can see the lowest price often gets you the lowest service. You get what you pay for. You worked hard for your stuff - it's worth spending a little more to protect it and yourself/your family. When you need insurance you NEED it. Go with a good company who will be there for you.

Ziggy
06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I sure as hell don't have Progressive covering my cars like you do :D
People who have expensive stuff (houses, cars, boats, etc.) too often look for the lowest price. As we can see the lowest price often gets you the lowest service. You get what you pay for. You worked hard for your stuff - it's worth spending a little more to protect it and yourself/your family. When you need insurance you NEED it. Go with a good company who will be there for you.
one of my cars was rear ended by a Progressive insured
I don't either squid. :rolleyes:

JB in so cal
06-28-2005, 04:23 PM
It's like anything else; you're always gonna have people on one side of an issue or the other. For everyone that thinks Progressive sucks (or Advantage, or Carrera or Magic or Conquest or Cheetah or Ford or Chevy or Bank of America, or Costco or Sams Club or River Dave or whatever) you'll find people who have experinced great service.
This forum is good for airing these types of issues, but keep an open mind and things in perspective.
It's unfortunate Progressive dropped the ball for this particular policy-holder, to be sure.
Peace :cool:

SummitKarl
06-28-2005, 04:28 PM
i had a theft claim last year with progressive.i took the boat to shockwave,the inspector made his appointment on time an gave s/w the ok to replace every thing in the boat that was stolen and the cut me a check for all my personal items that were stolen.they called me every three days duing the repair to make sure i was happy!
i thought my premiums would go up but nope renuid three months later and same competitve price!was i lucky?your guess is as good as mine.
all i got to say is go see my crash pic in the I.C. search for Summit, I am progresive customer, everthing covered under it, the poor family that was in the on coming car was seriously messed up and a major pay out was involved. (no I did not cause the crash I was the meat in the middle) I made one phone call and it was all delt with, kept my rates and kept progressive, and the family was well taken care of

v-drive
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I witnessed an accident where a pickup pulled in front of a harley. the guy on the harley had to put it down and the guy in the truck tried to take off. I chased him and suggested he pull over. Both had progressive and I went to bat for the biker. I did my statement to their adjuster and she said it was the bikers fault.long story short the biker had to sue progressive and when in court the judge asked progressives attorney what he was thinking when he agreed to fight this case. his response was "money" .
Don't give this up iknow you can win.....v-drive

06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Busti, Progressive is screwing you so he can make a bigger contribution to the Democratic Party. The owner of Progressive is one of the biggest contributers to the Demos. and he wants to assure there is enough money to help elect Hillery. Not to turn your thread into a political rant but when I learned of his political views I refused to spend a nickle with that co. Sorry to hear of your problems, I know 1st hand what you are going thru. I have a similar problem with the Ins. co that my Kenworth is insured with. I'd like to see all insurance cos. burn to the ground. :yuk:

BUSTI
06-28-2005, 04:55 PM
The main issue for me is that I have never filed a casualty claim in 30 years! For anything! The choice to go to Progressive was an easy one. I am so busy with my Real Estate business I relied on my insurance agent to place me with a good company. Its my fault for just accepting what he put in front of me however I'll never make that mistake again. The damage is so obvious I will take my chances in court.
Pick your insurance company the way I pick a bank. Find one that screws up the least. Not only did they take 5 weeks to come to a decision their findings have changed from the inspector, to the man handling my claim to the claims supervisor. First the inspector said he couldn't pimpoint the initial impact and that he didn't recommend coverage either way it was not his job. Then after three weeks the claims adjuster called me to say all though it was slow arring at his conclusion he was recommending the company pay the claim. Then one week later only after 10 more phone calls did the same guy call me with some lame ass excuse that hi supervisor had reversed the decision and Progressive would pay!
And at 5:30 tonight this yahoo told me that it would take more than a week to email me a copy of his file. Whats up with that.
Carbon the inspector I believe was Brian Adams.

Wonderboy
06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Busti, Progressive is screwing you so he can make a bigger contribution to the Democratic Party. The owner of Progressive is one of the biggest contributers to the Demos. and he wants to assure there is enough money to help elect Hillery. Not to turn your thread into a political rant but when I learned of his political views I refused to spend a nickle with that co. Sorry to hear of your problems, I know 1st hand what you are going thru. I have a similar problem with the Ins. co that my Kenworth is insured with. I'd like to see all insurance cos. burn to the ground. :yuk:
How did you find this out? It's very interesting :idea:

ZZ-Man
06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Wow, know I am confused.

Wmc
06-28-2005, 07:16 PM
I recently had Safeco Insurance for my HTM and never had problems, however I just bought a new 2005 Magic Deckboat and they have doubled my insurance. So my broker called Progressive and they are half the price. I know I've read cheap is bad, however my friend has Progressive and he ran over a rocky sandbar at Havasu and they paid for $20,000 in damages without problems. So I would suggest talking with a Supervisor and seeing what he can do for you. I would really stress to them that you have had them for 10 years, insured all your property with them and that they stand to lose a lot of customers, etc.... Good luck!!!

06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
i deal with insurance companies daily i will not work on progressive ins,
i laugh evertime i see there commericals on tv, they try to short cut
everthing so my suggestion is file a complaint to the department of
insurance big fine if there found at fault good luck and dont give
up there is justice out there against poor insurance companys

06-28-2005, 09:06 PM
How did you find this out? It's very interesting :idea:Just check the records of contributors, this jack-off is at the top of the Democrat's list of deep pockets. If memory serves he donated a total of $200K for Demo causes but I may be wrong.