PDA

View Full Version : K & N Air Filters...............

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Are they worth switching over to these?
Saw the ping pong ball demo at my local performance place. Seems to have more airflow than Fram.
Any noticeable difference??

HCS
07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
BowTieRick is the K&N dude. Yes there worth it. I put them on all my trucks.
Did you get a Titan?

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
BowTieRick is the K&N dude. Yes there worth it. I put them on all my trucks.
Did you get a Titan?
No on the Titan..............I like the Avalanche better and got a lease return on a 2004 with only 10,000 miles. Fully loaded/warrantys, etc.
I let someone else pay the depreciation. :D

HCS
07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
No on the Titan..............I like the Avalanche better and got a lease return on a 2004 with only 10,000 miles. Fully loaded/warrantys, etc.
I let someone else pay the depreciation. :D
I like the Avalanche. Those are sharp. Besides maybe it won't have brake problems.
I like the K&N set ups. Put some headers on with it. Makes a big difference.

voodoomedman
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
With that beautiful Chevy you want to put an K&N intake on there and a Flowmaster.
Trust me on this one you will be happy.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
With that beautiful Chevy you want to put an K&N intake on there and a Flowmaster.
Trust me on this one you will be happy.
Flowmaster???
More info please.............. :D :confused:

HCS
07-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Flowmaster???
More info please.............. :D :confused:
Exhaust. Get a free flow exhaust system along with that K&N!

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:52 PM
I like the Avalanche. Those are sharp. Besides maybe it won't have brake problems.
I like the K&N set ups. Put some headers on with it. Makes a big difference.
Yeah all the research I did I found out there are brake probs and they are chintzy are far as rattles and stuff. A guy I sub for has pieces of his vents coming off and he is on his 3rd set of brakes. This last set is supposed to be the retrofit so it should be good. The Titan is a real nice truck, don't get me wrong, but the Avalance is built like a tank.......the doors alone must be 4 times thicker and heavier than the Titans. The A/C unit is also what I liked about the AV......Blew 10 times harder/colder than the Titan. I'm hot in the winter so this was a big factor for me.

BowTie Rick
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
I may be a bit partial but... F@%K YES! LOL :D

voodoomedman
07-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah what he said. K&N should run you about 260 I think unless BowtieRick gives discounts and you can install yourself. Exhaust will run you about the same. It will be cat back replacing your pipe to bigger 3 inch or 4 inch or whatever and putting on the Flowmaster Muffler. I have the 3 chamber and love it. Little bit of a lower rumble and more subtle. Can still here inside the cab but pretty bichen sound outside. Two chamber is louder so you can hear a mile away.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks.....I will check this out. After owning a Jeep Grand Cherokee this AV flies compared to that. Sounds like this set up is the was to go for even more boost. Maybe throw one of those super chips in too. :smile:

Quality Time
07-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Question for Bowtie,
My ariflow sensor took a dump and was told it was because of the oil from my K&N. I spoke with others and they have heard of this as well. Not bagging on K&N since I have always used them, but what is your take on this?

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Question for Bowtie,
My ariflow sensor took a dump and was told it was because of the oil from my K&N. I spoke with others and they have heard of this as well. Not bagging on K&N since I have always used them, but what is your take on this?
From their site..........
At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination

BowTie Rick
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Question for Bowtie,
BS, make them prove it. Did they simply look at a P101 (bad mass air sensor) code or did they actually test it? We have had hundreds of "bad" MAF's sent in to use from customers. We put them under an electron microscope and check the hot wires for conamination, none found on any. Then we hook them up to a machine that tests their voltage combared to a brand new on right beside the "bad" one. About half are fine. The other half have shorts in the wiring on the OUTSIDE of the sensor from the potting material breaking down. If you believe the filter oil can travel through metal and cause this, fine, but to the most people, it is impossible. The half that are still good were changed along with a bunch of other stuff that also was throwing codes; O2 sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensore, etc. Makes it sort of hard to pin point the actual culprit and why not blame the aftermarket part and make some $$? MAF sensors are very sensitive and fail often, simple as that. Industry tracking shows them to have a 20% failure rate across the board over the life of a vehicle. Since K&N represents only 3% of all air filters sold, a 20% MAF failure rate does not correlate to the usage of K&N at all. BTW, that 3% market share is huge, only 2 other companies do more filters than us, can you guess who? Our closest "high flow/reusable" competitor does in one year what we do in a few weeks; not to sound arrogant. If you have issues with any dealership and waranty, call us at 800-858-3333 and we'll go to bat for you.

Quality Time
07-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks Rod,
Sucks, because we get caught in the middle of this finger pointing. Dealer says, no warranty on my NEW sensor with K&N installed. They also said K&N "told" GM techs how to properly clean and oil their filters to avoid this problem. Who do we believe. Written claims and warrantys come from the manufacturers, the bucks to fix comes out of our wallets.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
So how much does an air filter cost for an avalance??????????

BowTie Rick
07-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks Rod,
Sucks, because we get caught in the middle of this finger pointing. Dealer says, no warranty on my NEW sensor with K&N installed. They also said K&N "told" GM techs how to properly clean and oil their filters to avoid this problem. Who do we believe. Written claims and warrantys come from the manufacturers, the bucks to fix comes out of our wallets.
Actually, GM Performance execs was here for meetings regarding SEMA and went on a tour of the facility. To their surprise, we had a MAF soaking in a bucket of oil. To their amazement, the sensor still worked after it was cleaned. We asked them to get the dealers to back off and they did get some concessions from GM headquarters in that they softly worded a service bulletin with words like "maybe", "possible", etc. and on the very bottom in bold italics "The use of an oiled aftermarket air filter does not void the warranty". Key word, NOT.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 01:54 PM
ps..........do they come pre-oiled or do you oil them at purchase time??

raff
07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Pick-up the phone :2purples: :hammerhea

Quality Time
07-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Actually, GM Performance execs was here for meetings regarding SEMA and went on a tour of the facility. To their surprise, we had a MAF soaking in a bucket of oil. To their amazement, the sensor still worked after it was cleaned. We asked them to get the dealers to back off and they did get some concessions from GM headquarters in that they softly worded a service bulletin with words like "maybe", "possible", etc. and on the very bottom in bold italics "The use of an oiled aftermarket air filter does not void the warranty". Key word, NOT.
Thanks for the clarification. Will this stand-up to vehicles off of warranty and the warranty is for repairs/services rendered? BTW, I planned on reinstalling my K&N anyways. Just would like to know for further reference.

essexjet
07-01-2005, 02:12 PM
ps..........do they come pre-oiled or do you oil them at purchase time??
They come pre-oiled. Put one on my 6.0 superduty and love it, improved gas mileage a little.

Quality Time
07-01-2005, 02:26 PM
The filter or the filtercharger kit? Also, which motor? On my last 2 trucks I got my filter from Summit.

voodoomedman
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Thanks.....I will check this out. After owning a Jeep Grand Cherokee this AV flies compared to that. Sounds like this set up is the was to go for even more boost. Maybe throw one of those super chips in too. :smile:
What you want is a programmer. I want one but I don't think I could get that one past my wife. Hypertech I think is the one everybody says is great.

Rod-64
07-01-2005, 03:02 PM
The filter or the filtercharger kit? Also, which motor? On my last 2 trucks I got my filter from Summit.
5.3 liter Vortec.............2004 just filter for now.

Kindsvater Flat
07-01-2005, 05:15 PM
BS, make them prove it. Did they simply look at a P101 (bad mass air sensor) code or did they actually test it? We have had hundreds of "bad" MAF's sent in to use from customers. We put them under an electron microscope and check the hot wires for conamination, none found on any. Then we hook them up to a machine that tests their voltage combared to a brand new on right beside the "bad" one. About half are fine. The other half have shorts in the wiring on the OUTSIDE of the sensor from the potting material breaking down. If you believe the filter oil can travel through metal and cause this, fine, but to the most people, it is impossible. The half that are still good were changed along with a bunch of other stuff that also was throwing codes; O2 sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensore, etc. Makes it sort of hard to pin point the actual culprit and why not blame the aftermarket part and make some $$? MAF sensors are very sensitive and fail often, simple as that. Industry tracking shows them to have a 20% failure rate across the board over the life of a vehicle. Since K&N represents only 3% of all air filters sold, a 20% MAF failure rate does not correlate to the usage of K&N at all. BTW, that 3% market share is huge, only 2 other companies do more filters than us, can you guess who? Our closest "high flow/reusable" competitor does in one year what we do in a few weeks; not to sound arrogant. If you have issues with any dealership and waranty, call us at 800-858-3333 and we'll go to bat for you.
Dude when you gonna buy my PO446 eliminator?

HighRoller
07-01-2005, 05:41 PM
5.3 liter Vortec.............2004 just filter for now.
I had a GMC with the 5.3. Put a Flowmaster series 40 on it and a K&N filter and picked up almost 2mpg on the highway. I would recommend doing the Flowmaster cat-back system instead of just the muffler. You get mandrel bent tubing and a baffle that kills the resonance in the cab. I currently have the catback system, K&N and headers on my F350 w/ a 460. It sounds FILTHY from the outside and almost silent inside.

advantage21
07-01-2005, 05:49 PM
i have a 04 avalanche 5.3l with the fipk system and a hypertech programmer and it runs great with a six in lift and 35's i still get 18mpg on the highway.The only down fall is that when your pulling the cabin gets kinda loud from the intake.

gfinch
07-01-2005, 08:18 PM
The oiled air filters are fine. If the customer does't want me to charge them to check, clean and cancil the code again, I put an OEM filter in.
I'm just an old Grease Monkey, that can't spell or type, I don't have an electron microscope just an eye glass.
The contaminated hot wire sensor looks darkened and hairy, should be shiny metalic. The debris acts like a radiator and cools the sensor more for the ammount of air passing by it. Gently spray a good electrical cleaner at the sensor wire to clean.
In some cases the potting silicon escapes and contaminates the hot wire, it gets baked on, in this case the wire is insulated from the air. In this case the sensor needs to be replaced.
I think they would be OK if the correct ammount of oil was used. But you know more is better, and a little extra won't hurt. Right?
Sort of like prunes 2 enough, 4 too many?
ASE master /L1, 32 years Toyota/lexus
Gary
They worked well on the duel side draft Webers I had on a 22R pick up.