PDA

View Full Version : Cheating on the bouy course!

HCS
07-08-2005, 11:22 AM
This guy was actually cheating.
USA Water Ski officials have yet to disclose any possible sanctions against Dr. Jim Michaels, who appears to have used an illegal device to shorten the buoys on his home course for his slalom run June 24 during the qualifying round of the 2005 Malibu Open.
Divers discovered the rigged course after multiple athletes complained that the course widened before their eyes following Michaels' run. Michaels was the first competitor on the course for the men's slalom event.
Michaels admitted the existence of the moveable buoys, but has maintained that it was used solely for training purposes. He apologized to a gathering of skiers at a chapel service held the morning of the finals, but has said that a friend was responsible for moving the buoys, not himself.
This was to have been Michaels' first entry in a pro event, having posted exceptional results in Mens 4 competition skiing at 34 mph. This revelation brings into question the legitimacy of Michaels' Mens 4 records — 2 at 43 off, Aug. 15, 2004; 1 at 43 off, Aug. 24, 2003; and 2 ½ at 41 off, July 20, 2002 — all of which were set on his private lake.
The anticipation surrounding this year's Malibu Open had been heightened by Michaels' claims — and the suspicion among some pro skiers — regarding his self-reported personal bests. Regarding a slalom set he took in September 2004, Michaels said that at 36 mph, "With a tournament driver, with good times, I got 2 1/2 at 43 off. I actually thought I was going to run 43, which is probably why I screwed up. I surprised myself out of 2 and got out of the moment."

RiverOtter
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
:supp: Never heard of that before :supp:

CandyA$$
07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Interesting blame someone else, never your fault.

Tom Brown
07-08-2005, 11:30 AM
That's one of the wildest stories I've heard since the Schneeberger incident.

HCS
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
If you ski a bouy course like those guys you know where the bouys should be.
I think the guy is busted.
Pretty wild. Movable bouys.

jackpunx
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Interesting blame someone else, never your fault.
yea.. nobody ever does that

CandyA$$
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Lmao!

Speedin' Ian
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
That is pretty funny, I have never heard of anything like that! I wonder how much he narrowed it.

Up 4 River
07-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Dr. Michaels withdrew from the second round of the tournament. He has admitted that he had a mechanical device that could change the buoys.
With the photos on www.planetwaterski.com the cheating in undeniable. My prediction is that Michael's records in Mens 4 will be stripped in the next week or so. You can also go to: www.schnitzskis.com for more information.
I first heard about this right after it happened back on June 25th. Pretty crazy when you think about it. One of the ways they were able to see the buoys moved in was form the jump course buoys set up next to the 2,4, and 6 buoys.

dimarcobros
07-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Dr. Michaels withdrew from the second round of the tournament. He has admitted that he had a mechanical device that could change the buoys.
With the photos on www.planetwaterski.com the cheating in undeniable. My prediction is that Michael's records in Mens 4 will be stripped in the next week or so. You can also go to: www.schnitzskis.com for more information.
I first heard about this right after it happened back on June 25th. Pretty crazy when you think about it. One of the ways they were able to see the buoys moved in was form the jump course buoys set up next to the 2,4, and 6 buoys.
I didn't know you followed this sport as well.
DMB

HCS
07-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey Freddie K. are those bouys moving? Naaa...your hallucinating. No I swear they are! :hammerhea

Up 4 River
07-08-2005, 01:40 PM
I didn't know you followed this sport as well.
DMB
I get lucky and my buddies from SKI Paradise in Acapulco keep me up to date as to what's going on. I have been following more and more since going down there a couple years back. Have a safe drive to SB buddy

Speedin' Ian
07-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey Up 4 River do you ski the course?
I used to ski at the private lakes out in Bakersfield and Barstow all the time, skied a lot of tournaments as well. It's amazing how serious people take it, that's kind of why I got out of the sport about four years ago. I used to call the dock where all the skiers got ready the D ICK dock. Funny thing is I hit the course at Naci a couple weeks ago, it was the first time I had skied a course in four years and was still able to hit a few at 28' off, far cry from where I was a few years ago, but it felt good just the same.