PDA

View Full Version : closed bow to open bow

tamalewagon
07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Anyone on here ever do this? I want to take my closed bow California Performance and make it an opened bow. What's the price damage range? I already called California Performance and he just wants to sell me a new hull. I love the boat and don't want to get rid of it, but I want to fit a few more people in the boat. Suggestions?

Water Romper
07-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I think when open bows first came out, the manufactures used to just cut open the closed bows because they did not have molds made. Not sure if they still do this…there may be some “integrity” issue with the strength of the hull etc….Sounds like it would be expensive…
Knowing the H/B forums...you will get several hits. If you go forward, post the pic's

rivercrazy
07-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Don't do it! Water taxi duty ain't fun
Plus you will loose a lot of top end by placing too much weight forward in the boat. I doubt that hull was designed for this purpose

Riverkid
07-13-2005, 03:15 PM
We used to just measure and tape off the deck, cut it off, and then make all the wood puzzle pieces to fit the dash walk through, front kickpanels, etc. and go to town with the glass. I wouldn't do it to your boat 'cause the CG difference will totally screw up your ride... Easier to prolly buy a new hull. The molded bowrider deck will be a stronger piece.
HTH. Good luck.

Phat Daddy
07-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Don't do it! Water taxi duty ain't fun
Plus you will loose a lot of top end by placing too much weight forward in the boat. I doubt that hull was designed for this purpose
Yeah, I second that. I just don't think that hull was designed for that. Be careful because some shops will say anything to get your $$$. That's a lot of extra weight up front. :frown:

Riverkid
07-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Anyway, IIRC, the CA Perf deck was so low that if you tried to drop the bow upholstery in the seat backrests would only be around 8" high (you'll lose 3: for the cushion height plus whatever pedestal goes underneath for legroom...

boater72
07-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Anyway, IIRC, the CA Perf deck was so low that if you tried to drop the bow upholstery in the seat backrests would only be around 8" high (you'll lose 3: for the cushion height plus whatever pedestal goes underneath for legroom...
I was thinking the same thing. If it's a gull wing I would be afriad that a wave would come over what would have been the deck and fill the open bow and sink the boat? :confused:

tamalewagon
07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going family boat. Shiat!

Man-de-lone
07-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Sawzall!!!!! :D

Phat Daddy
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Man -de, I see you have 18 post. Everyones going to think your a newbie or something. :notam: :D :D

tamalewagon
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Trying to get people to pronounce it like a vato huh? Man-de-lone

Mandelon
07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
!Orale Cabron! I have a sawzal. Bring it over lets git r done! I was just thinking about looking for an older jet to do this very thing on. Something for exploring the river between Picacho, Cibola and Blythe.... :idea:

bear down
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
My boat was originally a closed bow, but then later converted it to an open bow. You would not even know any different.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/beardown3450/eagle26closed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/beardown3450/eliminator26eagleclosed.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/beardown3450/eagle26a.jpg

tamalewagon
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
!Orale Cabron! I have a sawzal. Bring it over lets git r done! I was just thinking about looking for an older jet to do this very thing on. Something for exploring the river between Picacho, Cibola and Blythe.... :idea:
Sorry Colonal! My boat is in brand new condition and is an outboard (not that the outboard status means shit). It only needs to be painted to look like it just came out of the shop.

northern baja
07-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't care for the results on most of the cutout open bows.
Picture this. Hit a scrap yard and cut the fiberglass tub out of a creamed OB, right depth of course. Make the cut on your hull to match the tuband stuff the tub under the deck and seal it up with glass. This give you the op to finish the cutout into a hard cover for the open bow when you want to go back.
Being from MN it would sure be nice to have a hard cover in the cold and rain. It would sure extend our season.
I think it possible to have both. I just haven't seen a builder that did the job.

Wicked Game
07-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I converted an 1987 23 ft. Omega to an open bow with a pass through mid cabin. K&M Marine in Orange did the work and it cost me about $2,300. It worked great for the 7 years I had the boat. We just sold the boat and bought a new 27 ft Warlock with the same layout. When you have 5 kids, you do what you have to.