PDA

View Full Version : Adulterers need cards too?

FMluvswater
07-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Having an affair? Maybe you'd like to send something from Cathy Gallagher's Secret Lover Collection of greeting cards. (http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-et-cards12jul12,0,301464.story?coll=la-home-style)
One morning at breakfast, Cathy Gallagher told her husband she wanted to start a line of greeting cards for adulterers.
There was a pregnant pause. And then he said, "I think it's a great idea."
<snip>
Gallagher says her Secret Lover Collection of 24 cards is the first line exclusively for people having affairs, and she expects hot sales. She says half of married people have had affairs (though some studies show the figure to be far less — more like 15% of married women and 22% of married men, according to the University of Chicago). From former President Clinton's relationship with "that woman" to shenanigans on TV shows like "Desperate Housewives," affairs are out in the open.
"Look at the soap operas. It's all about forbidden love," Gallagher says in her Bethesda office, where the walls are painted red and pink. "Look at how many people on soap operas are having affairs. That's real. And I think that's why this is so scary — these cards are real, and for a lot of people it hits very close to home."
<snip>
The cards feature acrylic paintings on the cover, done by an artist in Virginia and predictably heavy on deep shades of red, with long verses by Gallagher inside. Some of them read as if they were written by a dropout of the Hallmark school of greeting-card writing: "My soul has been searching for you since I came into this world.
"All my life I have had this emptiness inside, like a part of me was missing and I was incomplete …
"And now I can't imagine my life without you … Even if I have to share you."
There's a card for office romances that begins, "The weekend apart is finally over," and an apology card that describes how hard it is not to be able to call and smooth over "our misunderstanding."
There's even a breakup card that says, "I can't go on like this anymore … I guess our timing just wasn't right."
But there's also a card urging the receiver to leave his or her spouse. "Let's live our lives together and finally be one," it says. "I can't imagine not having you in my life. Let's start living our lives for 'us.' "
So do you think people will buy these? :idea: I'm picturing small towns and cashiers faces when they see the card their next door neighbor is buying! :D Maybe people can order them to be delivered wrapped in brown parcel paper? :idea: :D

Keithb87
07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Hell.. I'd buy them and send them to my Fiancee with someone elses address on them. The look on her face would be classic. :D

hoolign
07-14-2005, 10:11 PM
So what your saying is ...for a 9 of clubs you'l touch my penis???..or have I missed somthing here???? :D

FMluvswater
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
So what your saying is ...for a 9 of clubs you'l touch my penis???..or have I missed somthing here???? :D
I'm gonna be presumptuous and think you must be addressing me? :idea: If this is incorrect please DO elaborate! :D