PDA

View Full Version : FUMING MAD OVER FUMES!

ginoj
03-29-2002, 05:02 PM
I have a 2001 35' Motion cat. The raw gas fumes are killing me!! When running in choppy water you actually have to put your head above the canopies to not sufficate. I have had it back to the factory 3 times and they can't fix the problem. They say this is normal and everyone deals with it. I have had about 12 boats and never had this problem. There is no sign of gas in the bilge of around the sending units. I found out these boats don't havr actual gas tanks. What they do is section off part of the hull and put a top on it. (Dosen't sound too safe to me!). Any Suggestions??!!

DMB
03-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Yike,that doesn't even sound like it would be legal.

RiverToysJas
03-30-2002, 07:42 AM
Are you sure they don't just put a plastic gas tank under the floor, between the stringers?
I cannot imagine they just let gas sit on a fiberglass or fiberglass/balsa-core floor! That would be a MAJOR hazard!
I would take the whole boat to your local coast guard station and ask them to help you. Tell them about the "floor tanks" and take one of them for a ride if you have to.
Good Luck!
RTJas

Thunderbutt
03-30-2002, 01:52 PM
ginoj, Rember, Gas burns, Fumes explode. Do you have vents on the tanks? I can't beleave they said that is the way it is. How many boats have they had blow up. Have your Attorney and Insurance agent call and ask about the specifications on the gas tank, they will respond. Originally posted by ginoj:
I have a 2001 35' Motion cat. The raw gas fumes are killing me!! When running in choppy water you actually have to put your head above the canopies to not sufficate. I have had it back to the factory 3 times and they can't fix the problem. They say this is normal and everyone deals with it. I have had about 12 boats and never had this problem. There is no sign of gas in the bilge of around the sending units. I found out these boats don't havr actual gas tanks. What they do is section off part of the hull and put a top on it. (Dosen't sound too safe to me!). Any Suggestions??!!

24ROD
03-30-2002, 06:56 PM
ginoj, I would not ever run that boat again untill you get a handle on what that problem is. someone will get hurt, and that is never any fun. GOOD LUCK!

ginoj
03-31-2002, 05:13 AM
Hi, I was told this is the same thing that Skater does. They use an epoxy on the fiberglass surface so the fuel won't permiate it. I do have vents in the boat. I am just affraid if I get the coast gaurd involved a think I may cause more problems for myself. What would you do? I have a pretty heavy payment on the boat and wouldn't want to loose it for monthes. Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
Are you sure they don't just put a plastic gas tank under the floor, between the stringers?
I cannot imagine they just let gas sit on a fiberglass or fiberglass/balsa-core floor! That would be a MAJOR hazard!
I would take the whole boat to your local coast guard station and ask them to help you. Tell them about the "floor tanks" and take one of them for a ride if you have to.
Good Luck!
RTJas

ratso
03-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Everyone has given you some excellent advice, I don't understand why you don't take it instead of possibly putting not so much your own life at risk, but even the lives of others. Have you ever seen what can happen when gas fumes ignite? I have. My only other advice is for you to carry some disclaimers on board, because if you do injure or kill someone you'll be talking to the coast guard AND attorneys.

bigq
03-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by ginoj:
Hi, I was told this is the same thing that Skater does. They use an epoxy on the fiberglass surface so the fuel won't permiate it. I do have vents in the boat. I am just affraid if I get the coast gaurd involved a think I may cause more problems for myself. What would you do? I have a pretty heavy payment on the boat and wouldn't want to loose it for monthes.
ginoj, maybe your thick headed, so let me put it another way before you regret getting help and drive it again. You are driving a BOMB, get it looked at before you kill yourself and or someone else, stop worrying about the payment, which won't matter when you're DEAD anyway.Sorry if this seems harsh, but you seem reluctant to get help and we don't need another dead boater.

Brad Zastrow
04-01-2002, 07:51 AM
I own two Motions, a 30 and a 35. No fumes or smell at all. The tanks are made the same as Skaters. Sounds like a venting problem to me. If the smell is that bad it could be very dangerous. Have someone else look at it. Extreme Marine in Miami is the best rigger of Motions anywhere. Give him a call. 305/947-3278

ginoj
04-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Thank you all for the feedback and recommendations. I have contacted my attorny and insurance co. I have a surveyer coming down tomorrow. I want you all to know I am not driving the boat. What I meant was when I was reluctant to contact the coast gaurd because an official Coast Gaurd investigation could take 6 monthes to a year. I don't want to have to make the payments over that long of a period for an official investigation. I certainly have NO plans of driving this boat, I will use my other one. I don't want anyone hurt, including me!