PDA

View Full Version : Camero Expert's > is this an oddball ?

Liberator TJ1984
07-17-2005, 05:47 AM
I located a '68 Hardtop ,original one owner car, but here's the kicker ...
1) Standard '68 but with Black bumblebee stripe around front end ( he ordered it that way but did not want the rest of SS options)yes it is painted on from factory w / 327 badges
2) No PS, A/C or PBrakes > 327 engine / AM radio
3)White car , Black Stripe , But RED Interior
4)Bucket Front seats with NO console and 3 on da tree
Will try to get VIN and build specs. off frame tag later ...
Car is still all original w/140,000 mi. and ALWAYS garaged ,never wrecked, NO Rust, any ideas what it would be worth ????? :idea:
thanks
Chris

cave
07-17-2005, 06:00 AM
If its a true BowTie it could go for 25K or more. Depending if its a true BowTie as you state. I seen Camaro's go for 35k at Barrett Jackson restored.
BowTie = all original factory parts from the bolts to the chassis.
I had a 68 RS Camaro that was clean. Pump out head lights with a turbo 350 hooked to a 327 ci. We cruised Westwood every other weekend. Man I'm so glad gas was cheap then. Oh wait, its wasn't cheap. tap the throttle and watch the gas needle drop closer to E.

Liberator TJ1984
07-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Cave , It is the real deal, only thing is he put in an HEI dist. when the points went out in the stock one ...it is in the trunk wrapped and boxed up to be rebuilt and put back in , the Man that has it is a Doctor here in town( he's in his late 60's) and has pictures of the car in his office when it was New, I used to have a '67RS , started asking questions about the pictures and next thing I know he tells me to come by and check out the car at his house...Long story short he tells me if I am really interested and will take good care of her , he will sell it :)

Infomaniac
07-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Thats great. I'll take it :rollside: :rollside: i'll take good care of her.

cave
07-17-2005, 06:17 AM
I miss mine. wish I had never sold it. My pops gave me his 66 2+2 Fast Back Mustang which I still have in the Garage today. I couldn't afford to insure them both back then.
3 on the tree sounds rare. You may want to make an offer. Wish Chevy would take a chance like Ford and assimilate the lines of the 67,68 or even the 69 Camaro into an 06. There designers came out with a cavalier instead. Not very good economical sense.lol.
Good luck. It sounds like a good investment. Specially if the first owner is willing to separate from such a special car.

cdog
07-17-2005, 06:58 AM
First off it's C a m a r o. :rollside: I've had that same car excet mine was a SS 350. Unless he has a build sheet there's no way to tell what exactly came with the car. The VIN on the firewall and the tag on the inner drivers side door will tell you if the car is a true SS. The bumble bee stripe is a bad ass deal that has caught on later in time and is more "cool" now then back then. Most people wanted the Z28 stripes because the Camaro was on TV and the hero new commer in the Trans Am series kicking everyones ass's including Mr. Shelbys famed cars. + they just look cool. If you can get the car for a good price and it has been taken care of, get it. If it's not a OG SS it'll still be a hot rod and i'd prefer to see someone rod out a non SS,RS or Z28 car anyway. Throw away the expectation of ebaying the car or selling it for booku bucks. That will most likly not happen. If you don't want it let me know. My dad is looking for one. FYI A lot of people ordered a stip down SS for dragracing those days. PS and AC pumps eat horsepower and 327 are a high rev engine that's a little down on TQ, so you can see why he did that. Check and see what trans and rear end he has in it. If it has a powerglide and a 10 bolt I'd dought it is a real SS but it's still possiable. The cool thing about these cars is back in 67,68 and 69 you could order these cars with almost any combo. I know every inch of these cars so hit me up if you have any more questions.

TwinMach26DCB
07-17-2005, 07:00 AM
being a long time GM / Specifically Camaro guy.. Not sure if you deserve the car if you can't even SPELL the name.. :)
There are 5000 guys waiting to buy this thing so 1 thing here is certain.. There is no way in the world you could ever get hurt on this car..... It'll likely be the best money you ever spent.. small motor, original owner, documented Camaro ... throw in the fact that it's a survivor and it's a no-brainer..
Really and to a non car guy this may sound crazy --- the car may have more value in it's current (survivor - original non-restored) condition than if you spent 20 grand restoring it....
Step up... I'd even go in halves if you need a partner in the car..

cdog
07-17-2005, 07:04 AM
1) Standard '68 but with Black bumblebee stripe around front end ( he ordered it that way but did not want the rest of SS options)yes it is painted on from factory w / 327 badges
Car is still all original w/140,000 mi. and ALWAYS garaged ,never wrecked, NO Rust, any ideas what it would be worth ????? :idea:
thanks
Chris
Sounds like a grandma car with a bumblee stripe and a 100 dollar SS badge kit. 3 on a tree is not a performance option. 95% sure it's not an SS. The dealer may have put the stripe and Badge kit on there for the buyer because of looks. Check the VIN and ask for the build sheet.

Liberator TJ1984
07-17-2005, 07:13 AM
( QUOTE )being a long time GM / Specifically Camaro guy.. Not sure if you deserve the car if you can't even SPELL the name..
Geeze , now I know how Rodney Dangerfeld musta felt , Tough Crowd in here!! :D
I have been a " Camaro " freak all my life too had a '67 RS for over 20yrs. :idea: just can't spell for shit :D
The Old guy knows what he has , and does want a few coins for it ;) which means I will have to sell some of my other projects first.... but he is in No Hurry to get rid of it ;)
Keep the info. comin' I will post #'s of car ID as soon as I can ? probably next Monday

SnakeWrench
07-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Dude, you have a rare car. The car you discribed was called an economy package and the owner had the choice of a 6 cyl 231, a 302 v-8 or a 327 v-8. You could only get the E-car with a 3 speed tranny, either on the tree or on the floor with no console. Many scca racers used to by these cars and do the mods for racing becausethe base car was cheeper and much more economical. There are not many unmodified e cars around so you are looking at a true rare piece. Does it have disc fronts or drums? If it has drums, it was probably ordered by someone that did not intend on modifying it.
The VIN may not show it as an e car, but there should be a trunk tag or a build tag under the rear seat.
Good luck, sounds like a cool piece to have.

ahhell
07-17-2005, 08:10 AM
this site seems to have alot of info, didnt have enuf time to read it allcamaro's (http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camaro_info_db/index.php?year=1968)

haulina29
07-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Snake Wrench is correct the build sheet should be in the bottom of the rear seat springs

cdog
07-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Dude, you have a rare car. The car you discribed was called an economy package and the owner had the choice of a 6 cyl 231, a 302 v-8 or a 327 v-8. You could only get the E-car with a 3 speed tranny, either on the tree or on the floor with no console. Many scca racers used to by these cars and do the mods for racing becausethe base car was cheeper and much more economical. There are not many unmodified e cars around so you are looking at a true rare piece. Does it have disc fronts or drums? If it has drums, it was probably ordered by someone that did not intend on modifying it.
The VIN may not show it as an e car, but there should be a trunk tag or a build tag under the rear seat.
The 302's were only avaliable in the Z28's. You must be thinking of the 305's in the 69's for the e car. But this car does not sound like a SS. Believe it or not there's a lot of grandma econo cars out there that are in good shape for a decent price. I would'nt pay anymore than $7500 for this car if it's not an SS. Get the 1968 Camaro book from Classic Industries and do your homework on the car before you buy it. My experiance says it's just a grandma car.

SummitKarl
07-17-2005, 08:54 AM
thanks
Chris
I just read this and not the rest of the thread, so maybe some one has already said this, if the car is a true 68-69 ss or rs (matching numbers car)
and the big kicker (4spd). if it is a (daily driver) and not restored it should be in the "High teens" if it's fully restored it should be in the Mid to High 20's
a close friend of mine sold his (ser No.3 69 ss 327 4spd) "perfect 100 point car" for 28k about 5 yrs ago. but it definetly was the cleanest of the clean.

Liberator TJ1984
07-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Here is what I got off the engine tag... looked everywhere and could not find any other tags :mad:
09D
68-12437 NOR12806 Body
TR724 CC Paint
Off Invoice.....
900CC Emerald White
724AA Red Trim
D91 Front Stripe
A02 Astro-Ventalation w/window Tint
PO1 Wheel Covers
VO1 HD Radiator
U63 A/M Radio
Z21 Trim
Frnt/Rear Bumper Gaurds
Dealer Adds....
Undercoat
and yes it is a daily driver, fired right up and backed it out of the garage so I could see it better , but it looks like grandma's plain ol car with a stripe on the hood, no SS badges anywhere :notam:

cdog
07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Here is what I got off the engine tag... looked everywhere and could not find any other tags :mad:
09D
68-12437 NOR12806 Body
TR724 CC Paint
Off Invoice.....
900CC Emerald White
724AA Red Trim
D91 Front Stripe
A02 Astro-Ventalation w/window Tint
PO1 Wheel Covers
VO1 HD Radiator
U63 A/M Radio
Z21 Trim
Frnt/Rear Bumper Gaurds
Dealer Adds....
Undercoat
and yes it is a daily driver, fired right up and backed it out of the garage so I could see it better , but it looks like grandma's plain ol car with a stripe on the hood, no SS badges anywhere :notam:
It's a grandma car...No SS...The other tag will be in the door jam on the drivers side. It should be chrome or stainless steel with stamped #'s for a VIN.
Max for this car should be $7500.... Tell him that's over 3 times what he paid for it in 68...Good Luck. The performance 1st Gen Camaros Have a X desigination somewhere on the firewall tag.

Liberator TJ1984
07-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks CDog and you other guys :D
I looked in the trunk and around both doors , No Tags !!!
all paperwork is still in the glove Box though !
He showed me an article in a magazine where one sold for 50k SS/RS
tried to tell me they are the same car as his ( yea right , but he is almost 70 ) he wants 24k for it and will not budge :eek: I figured if I could show him some hard facts it was not the same car and not worth near as much he would see differently .....But not Today !!!
I offered 10k and he acted like he didn't even hear me :supp:
If I can't get him to jump I will post adress and phone # maybe someone else will have better luck :confused: :D

cdog
07-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks CDog and you other guys :D
I looked in the trunk and around both doors , No Tags !!!
all paperwork is still in the glove Box though !
He showed me an article in a magazine where one sold for 50k SS/RS
tried to tell me they are the same car as his ( yea right , but he is almost 70 ) he wants 24k for it and will not budge :eek: I figured if I could show him some hard facts it was not the same car and not worth near as much he would see differently .....But not Today !!!
I offered 10k and he acted like he didn't even hear me :supp:
If I can't get him to jump I will post adress and phone # maybe someone else will have better luck :confused: :D
Tell him to stick it....Still Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much....7500 tops. If you really want a bad ass camaro PM me I know some folks.

Sanger D
07-17-2005, 01:06 PM
very bitchin car but without true paper work showing its product #,s and proper vin. badge, and a high perf. package (documented) then its just a really sweet STOCK but bitchin camero!!! worth owning and BUILDING without tearing up a real docum. muscle car, but no way worth the money he,s asking,needs to stay in the garage another15 to 20 years for that kinda money.............but I would deff. give 7 to 8 grand for it if you REALLY want a car to start building,but it had better be SUPER F%$#@$IN CLEAN for the money............good luck ,(just my worthless 2 cents!!!!!! :D

meaniam
07-18-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks
Chris
a place that may be able to help you find info on this is teamcamaro.com and mike nastyz28.com. i feel those are the best places to look.good luck

meaniam
07-18-2005, 03:07 PM
from what i understand the old time 1/4 mile racers liked drum setup in these cars. the drum setup shaves some weight off the car