PDA

View Full Version : The ghost of Enzo Ferrari is working at Fountain Tire

Tom Brown
07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
... so I picked up a flat tire the other day. I was a few hours from home so I had to limp home on the temporary spare. No big deal.
Yesterday, I was busy as hell so I stayed in from the lake today to handle the tire and a couple of other errands.
I found one guy who could work me in today and asked him how much to fix it. "45 bucks".
WTF? Should it really cost 45 bucks to repair a flat plus 12 to balance it and 7 to mount it back on the car?
I told him I wasn't interested so now I have to drive the temporary spare to the lake and back (about 120 miles).

HCS
07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Sounds about right.
Unless it's a Big O tires. If you have them up there.

CrazyHippy
07-17-2005, 04:15 PM
... so I picked up a flat tire the other day. I was a few hours from home so I had to limp home on the temporary spare. No big deal.
Yesterday, I was busy as hell so I stayed in from the lake today to handle the tire and a couple of other errands.
I found one guy who could work me in today and asked him how much to fix it. "45 bucks".
WTF? Should it really cost 45 bucks to repair a flat plus 12 to balance it and 7 to mount it back on the car?
I told him I wasn't interested so now I have to drive the temporary spare to the lake and back (about 120 miles).
It's only canadian money, what that traslate to in US dollars, $0.75?? Sounds like a good deal to me :) :boxed:
BJH

uvindex
07-17-2005, 05:00 PM
WTF? Should it really cost 45 bucks to repair a flat plus 12 to balance it and 7 to mount it back on the car?I just had a flat repaired recently on my Suburban, at the Chevy dealer (was bringing it in for warranty service so went ahead and had them flix the semi-fast leak I had, which turned out to be caused by a piece of glass). It was US$25, which included removing the wheel from the vehicle, removing the tire from the wheel (to patch from the inside), remounting, spin balancing, and reinstallation.
On a side note, I didn't even know that my '04 Suburban had the low tire pressure warning feature until I saw a message in the DIC saying, "CHECK TIRE PRESSURE" -- it's a handy thing to have. :)

Krazy K
07-17-2005, 05:47 PM
If you have the tire off the vehicle, it shouldn't cost more than 15 bucks!! :yuk:

hoolign
07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Well we have discovered the root cause here anyways :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-18-2005, 05:43 AM
But was that $64 Canadian? :idea:

Tom Brown
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Ha! Check this out.
Nobody in town deals with Michelin so basically, a couple of guys wanted to sell me 4 Toyos and one guy could get a replacement tire but it was going to cost $250 plus installation. Oh yeah... :mad:
... so I call the wholesaler who deals in Michelin. He tells me he can give me a new tire but wants me to go 25 miles out of town to one of his dealers to have him put it on. I told him I'd rather pay to have it put on here and he tells me that's just fine so he gives me a tire and requests that I return the bad one once I have it swapped. Cool guy.
... so I stumbled across this old guy who has a service station that looks like it's closed but apparently, it's not. I ask him how much to mount a tire. He mounts and balances it for four dollars. I asked him how much to re-balance the other three and he said he'd have to charge me three bucks a piece to for the other tires. I got out of there for less than 20 bucks and he did it all in about 15 minutes.
Kisss my ass, Fountain Tire. :D