PDA

View Full Version : blower motor builders?

Essex29
07-19-2005, 07:56 AM
So, what are all of the builders doing these day's now that Whipple is back ordered 4-6 months? :(

Jbb
07-19-2005, 08:04 AM
The ones out here.....are going to twin turbo setups

Essex29
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
What are the specs on turbo motors? carb? compression?

Jbb
07-19-2005, 08:17 AM
What are the specs on turbo motors? carb? compression?
Not sure what they will end up with ...but in the near future you will see some pretty big names offering them

Tom Brown
07-19-2005, 08:18 AM
To hell with Whipple. Everyone up here switched to Merc outboards years ago.
.... even in our cars.

Jbb
07-19-2005, 08:23 AM
To hell with Whipple. Everyone up here switched to Merc outboards years ago.
.... even in our cars.
Lets load that statement into the trusty Canatard 2000 translator.....
Tom said...........Blower motors rule ! :D

Froggystyle
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
We switched from Whipple to twin turbos. I know a lot of people are considering it as well.
The turbos are certainly not any cheaper by a long shot, but they make better power, more power lower and torque up the yin yang.
I think the outdrive guys will have real problems getting a drive to stick around though.

cdog
07-19-2005, 09:14 AM
We switched from Whipple to twin turbos. I know a lot of people are considering it as well.
The turbos are certainly not any cheaper by a long shot, but they make better power, more power lower and torque up the yin yang.
I think the outdrive guys will have real problems getting a drive to stick around though.
How can I get more info about your turbo set up I saw a while back? For me it's turbos or a procharger. I like the turbo idea better but have not seen a system with a blow thru EFI. I've enjoyed your boat and engine build up so far. You are really challenging the industry to innovate. Good job.

Boozer
07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
You forgot to mention that they are also more efficient due to the fact that they are not robbing power from the motor to make more power.
I'm not familiar with what kinda specs you'd want to run in a boat considering that you don't want to sacrifice any low to mid end power in order to achieve more top end power like you would do in a car. However, I'd think 9:1 compression and about 18 psi should give you some wicked power especially if the turbos you used are ball bearring.
Out of curiosity what kind of intercooler do you guys running turbos in your boat use? I'd assume water/air since you have a constant source of fresh cool water available to you but I never trust my assumptions.

Havasu47
07-19-2005, 09:43 AM
So, what are all of the builders doing these day's now that Whipple is back ordered 4-6 months? :(
Roots Blowers are still an option...

Jrocket
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
The ones out here.....are going to twin turbo setups
:D

Jrocket
07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Yes we will.

Riverkid
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
You forgot to mention that they are also more efficient due to the fact that they are not robbing power from the motor to make more power.
I'm not familiar with what kinda specs you'd want to run in a boat considering that you don't want to sacrifice any low to mid end power in order to achieve more top end power like you would do in a car. However, I'd think 9:1 compression and about 18 psi should give you some wicked power especially if the turbos you used are ball bearring.
Out of curiosity what kind of intercooler do you guys running turbos in your boat use? I'd assume water/air since you have a constant source of fresh cool water available to you but I never trust my assumptions.
Most every turbo setup uses a water/air intercooler for exactly the reason you mentioned. Most have a separate (large ID) water pickup routed directly to the intercooler and then straight back overboard. H20ski2fast has a very sporty Gentry setup in his pop's 27' Advantage with a Bravo on it, and they seem to do really well with it for a big boat running that much torque...
I've only had turbo experience in a V-drive so I can't say much about drive longevity...