PDA

View Full Version : No BS : San Bernadino School Dist seeking EBONICS !

carbonmarine
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Ebonics suggested for district
By Irma Lemus Staff Writer
SAN BERNARDINO Incorporating Ebonics into a new school policy that targets black students, the lowest-achieving group in the San Bernardino City Unified School District, may provide students a more well-rounded curriculum, said a local sociologist.
The goal of the district's policy is to improve black students' academic performance by keeping them interested in school. Compared with other racial groups in the district, black students go to college the least and have the most dropouts and suspensions.
Blacks make up the second largest racial group in the district, trailing Latinos.
A pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools.
Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, commended the San Bernardino Board of Education for approving the policy in June.
Texeira suggested that including Ebonics in the program would be beneficial for students. Ebonics, a dialect of American English that is spoken by many blacks throughout the country, was recognized as a separate language in 1996 by the Oakland school board.
"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'
Texeira said research has shown that students learn better when they fully comprehend the language they are being taught in.
"There are African Americans who do not agree with me. They say that (black students) are lazy and that they need to learn to talk,' Texeira said.
Len Cooper, who is coordinating the pilot program at the two city schools, said San Bernardino district officials do not plan to incorporate Ebonics into the program.
"Because Ebonics can have a negative stigma, we're not focusing on that,' Cooper said. "We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books (for students).'
Beginning in the 2005-06 school year, teachers will receive training on black culture and customs. District curriculum will now include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society. Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate.
The pilot program at Rio Vista Elementary and King Middle schools focuses on second-, fourth- and seventh-grade classes. District officials hope to train teachers from other schools using the program as a model.
Board member Danny Tillman, who pushed for the policy, said that full implementation of the program at all schools may take years, but the pilot program is a beginning.
"At every step we will see positive results,' Tillman said.
Tillman hoped the new policy would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.
Teresa Parra, board vice president, said she worried the new program would have an adverse effect.
"I'm afraid that now that we have this the Hispanic community, our largest population, will say, 'We want something for us.' Next we'll have the Asian community and the Jewish community (asking for their own programs). When will it end?'
Parra said the district should focus on helping all students who are at risk.
"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race,' Parra said.
Tillman disagreed with Parra, saying programs that help Latinos already exist in the district. He cited the district's English- as-a-second-language program.
Texeira urged people not be quick to judge the new program as socially exclusive. She said people need to be open to the program.
"Everybody has prejudices, but we must all learn to control that behavior,' Texeira said. She said a child's self confidence is tied to his or her cultural identity.
She compared the low performance of black students to starvation. "How can you be angry when you feed a family of starving children?'
Ratibu Jacocks, a member of the Westside Action Group, a coalition of black activists, said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.
"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing,' Jacocks said.
Jacocks said he didn't believe the new policy would create animosity. He said he welcomed the idea of other ethnic groups pushing for their own programs.
"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movements.'

carbonmarine
07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Just classic ! ... and you wonder why Schwartzy is called the bad guy by the teachers ???? .... This is outrageos, ESL is outrageous..... We need to just fire all these morons running these schools !!! ** Enough with Social Experimentation by the gov't and its municiplaties, institutions via the hand liberal left...!!!!
Rick32 :mad: :hammer2:

cdog
07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Just think of the advantages your kids will have in life by speaking proper english. Who cares? Let'em have it. But just think...Now we'll never understand what the hell anyone's talking about at the DMV or any other local goverment ran office. :rollside:

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 12:02 PM
"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'
Yeah. Teach them how to speak proper english and not how to perfect their ebonics.
Tillman hoped the new policy would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.
Great until they get out of their little bubble and get out into the real world where the business community's primary language is English, followed by Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, etc..............I don't even recall Ebonics being on the list. At that point in time, they will be classified as uneducated, & unprofessional.

lucky
07-19-2005, 12:03 PM
dat be wack -

HocusPocus
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
i remember a few years back some school systems wanted to bring that in, i don't think it lasted long. thats as bad as when some schools were allowing kids to spell words wrong as long as they were phonetically correct!!

carbonmarine
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Phonetically correct... yes indeed !! ..We have some graduates here on our very own HB.com ! Man... some of you guys murder the English Languange !!!!
Rick32 :D :D :D :D :D
By the way : Next time someone " AX " me a question, I think I am going to fugg'in go ape shit postal on them...

Phat Matt
07-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Everyone can start learning now.
411 = I need information
5-0 = police
5-0 = run like hell
areous = area
aw-ite = acknowledged
axe = to ask
ball out = leave
be = are
befo = before
bemah = automotive vehicle manufactured by the B.M.W. considered to be very suave amongst a group of homies
bent = wasted
B.M.W. = Black Man Working or Black Man's Wheels
bo jangling = not paying attention, or being stupid
bomb = something that is considered popular or visuially pleasing
boo = close friend
booty = buttox
boyz = gang friends
brick = see phat
Brurva = An male acquittance
buck wild = really crazy
bud = marijuana
buggin' = actions in a mannar which is considered to be not socially acceptable in a group of homies
bumping = it is to my likeing
bust out = to leave
busta white = a person who hangs around with but is not wanted
busta cap = shoot a gun fire a bullet
busta move = to act quickly
cent = cents
cakes = buttox
cap = bullet
Cavy Sack = A bag of Marijuana
chillin = Relaxing
chronic = marijuana
curb job = a retaliatory attack consisting of a thrust of the dental cavity of a adversarial gang member onto the cement confine barrier of a road
cold-lampin' = relaxing or hanging out
cop-blockin' = interfering in one's relations
cream = money, riches, valueables
crib = place of residence
curried = Talked about in an unfriendly manor
da shit = marijuana
dime = bag of mixed illegal drugs, usually worth monitary exchage units in a factor ten
dimesack = bag of mixed illegal drugs, usually worth monitary exchage units in a factor ten
dimebag = bag of mixed illegal drugs, usually worth monitary exchage units in a factor ten
dog = worn out, bad, terrible, in bad shape
Ebonics = ebony and phonics
ebony = black
dis = that, or too harass
fitty = fifty
flava = means flavor
fly = tight (see tight) or neat
fly gangster shit = going to fight
folks = police
foo = fool
fronting = attempting to start a quarrel
G = acquaintance
ganja = marijuana grown in Jamaica or the flower of a marijuana plant
gank = to steal or take from someone or something
gat = gun
(I'm gonna) gat yo' ass = You areangering me and I may become violent if you do not cease your actions
Haps in da hood = What's going on in the neighborhood
he be = he does
hella thick =(refers to women) cute or fine
ho = woman who engages in sexual activity for a money sum
homey = friend
hood = neighborhood
hoodrat = scummy girl
It's on = You and me are about to engage in a violent confrontation
jet = leave
jigga = acquaintance
Jo = acquaintance, or it can be used as a greeting such as yo or what's up
jocking my style = messing with me or copying me in an attempt to be cool like me
Joe Roller = police
jonx = means everything yet nothing at the same time, or my things, belongings
Kicking = Pleasing,(usually refered to music or a particular song)
kicks = shoes
lutchie = money
Lunchin = To act in a rather uncontrollable manner
mary jane = marijuana
mo = more
moo = Move
my bad = my mistake
na = no, dissagreement
nah = no, dissagreement
nick = bag of mixed illegal drugs, usually worth monitary exchage units in a factor five
nickelbag = bag of mixed illegal drugs, usually worth monitary exchage units in a factor five
nine = 9mm gun
outy = bye
Packing a piece = packing a gun
peace out = Good bye
Peeps = people, friend (see homie)
phat = looks good
Piece = Gun
player = someone who disses all his ho's
po = lacking in money
Polece = Police
Po Po = Police
refer = marijuana
regulate = to force a person to accept something which he or she does not want, agree, or wish to accept
rhymes = lyrics
rise up foo = bring it on or get out of my chair
roll out = to leave
rollen deep = good connection
Sack = a plastic bag containing an illegal or controlled substance
Schooled ya = To bask in the glory of a victory wone in a competive enviroment
scrap = A violent confrentation between two brothers
shiiee = shit
shiiee ( your name) = What are you? Crazy?
shorty = an atractive female
sippinn' my forty = getting piss drunk
skeets = to move at a high speed
sku me = excuse me
snaps = money
sup = abbreviation for what's up
I gonna Steal you = I am plaining to punch you (Stole past tense)
steping = when a person or several people start to engage in a violent confrontation between another person, or people
straight = fine, okay
Strapped = In possession of a gun
stupposedly = supposedly
That's the bomb = that is very pleasing to me
the man = law enforcement officer or a player
tha shiznit = the best or a very potient herb
thug = hard core gangster
tight = pleasing to the eye, not loose
triping = the begings of what could lead to a violent confrontation between two beings
try-fo-lin = that's stupid or lacking significance
wack = not to my likeing
what tha dilly yo? = what is going on?
whats up? = hi, how are you
word up = got that straight, thats right or how's it going
yayo = money
Yo! = yeah? what is it? what do you want?
You got beef? = are you provoking me to engage into a violent confrontation?
Young = friend

HocusPocus
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
the only real phrase that anyone talking like that will really need is:
"you want fries with that"

cdog
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Have you seen those computer commercials? where they say "I got Mine"..
Or what's the mc donalds phrase...? They're allready pumping this shit into kid's brains. YO!

totenhosen
07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
I think I'm going to a publishing company and offer to write Children's books in ebonics. (I'm serious about this just not the titles)
Little Red Riding (in da) Hood
Green eggs and swine
Fatboyeeee sat on da wall.

cdog
07-19-2005, 12:43 PM
How about a
WE AIN"T DONE SHIT! Book

totenhosen
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
All I could find, but one of the originators to bring ebonics to a mass audience
http://www.thisisromo.com/romo/html/gary_coleman_romo.jpg

hoolign
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
The idiots who came up with that idea should get thier paychecks printed out in Idiot-bonics and see if they can cash them at a bank.