PDA

View Full Version : Whipple going out of business???

XLGPP
07-21-2005, 06:47 AM
right before memorial weekend I had a problem with my blower. Seal around an internal pump went out, and was blowing my oil thru and out the exhaust. Whipple said they knew exactly what it was so my mechanic sent the blower to them and they sent it right back. It is still doing the same thing and appears whipple did nothing to it. We have tried to reach Dustin for 3 weeks now and refuses to take a call or call back. Dustin has always called back, but not now. Steve's only answer is " I dont know". He claims there supplier is not getting them the parts they need. My mechanic has also been trying to get 2 blowers for a twin 525 boat for 4 months now and cannot get them. has anyone heard anything about Whipple shutting down.
Dustin are you out there? If so, please call Paul at Cobalt in NM, or call me 505-496-0215

Whipped Caliber
07-21-2005, 07:01 AM
No Whipple is not going out of business. They are having supply problems with the blower supplier as Mercury racing is using the same blower.
He is overloaded right now getting parts.

PowellScooter
07-21-2005, 07:05 AM
not this thread again......

Chromegorilla
07-21-2005, 07:08 AM
All the more reason to pro charge....

Jbb
07-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I have always seen people bash this guy and then people come out of the woodwork defending him.......
Not returning contact with a customer is bad business...I dont give a shit how busy you are......Poker runners and racers really dont want to hear about backordered parts....I would look elsewhere for a blower

carbonmarine
07-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Mercedes, Ford and a few others come first even before Merc & Whipple ...
:chi:

cdog
07-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Yep, my engine builder say's that guy who runs the place is a real asshole. I refuse to support people like that. I'll be going with a progharger or TT's.

Chromegorilla
07-21-2005, 07:21 AM
TT's are the way to go.....$$$$$$$$$, but still f'n bad ass

Tom Brown
07-21-2005, 07:22 AM
I'd like to date Justin's sister.

Sleek-Jet
07-21-2005, 07:24 AM
not this thread again......
Yes, this thread again... :messedup:

Jbb
07-21-2005, 07:26 AM
I'd like to date Justin's sister.
There you go again Brown....soiling a perfectly good bashing thread with your sexual innuendo...will it ever end?

Dave C
07-21-2005, 07:45 AM
I bet if Mercury racing is using the same blower it will cost twice as much as a whipple for the same damn thing..... ;) ;) :rollside:

Jordy
07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
I bet if Mercury racing is using the same blower it will cost twice as much as a whipple for the same damn thing..... ;) ;) :rollside:
Yeah, but you might get some customer support from Merc and that's gotta be worth something. :D :D :D

Essex29
07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
I haven't bought anything from Whipple yet, but everytime I call to ask questions I also talk with Dustan and get treated really well.

Dave C
07-21-2005, 08:11 AM
true, but for twice the price I think we can figure it out ourselves.
besides its that 300% markup from Merc that kind of hurts in the wrong spot.
Yeah, but you might get some customer support from Merc and that's gotta be worth something. :D :D :D

Boozer
07-21-2005, 08:20 AM
There's plenty of alternatives to whipple. Prochargers is one obvious one TT's is another obvious one but there are tons of other blower manufacturers out there as well.
Also, I hear people saying that going TT is very expensive and more expensive then blowers and I have to wonder why? A nice set up from whipple is running right around 8-9K and can get up into the 12-13K range right? If you do your homework you could peace together your own TT setup for probably 6-7K.

Freak
07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
I haven't bought anything from Whipple yet, but everytime I call to ask questions I also talk with Dustan and get treated really well.
When I talked to and purchased from Whipple it was a great experience. My opinion is now his shop has gotten so big he can’t keep the monster chained down by himself and his small staff. That bitch has broke loose and is running the streets wild. Which causes stress which leads to differences. He needs more (hard to find) good help. That’s all.

moneypit
07-21-2005, 08:26 AM
I need a secretary.. do you think dustins sister will come answer phones for me?

Jordy
07-21-2005, 08:27 AM
I need a secretary.. do you think dustins sister will come answer phones for me?
Just make sure that Nodigg doesn't call your office. :D :D :D

SummitKarl
07-21-2005, 08:34 AM
hey their manufacture just opened in Havasu I am doing some drawings for him, Bernie
2010 holley drive #106

XLGPP
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
I never intended to bash anyone, just asking about the state of his business. Because I have heard it rumored. And it started to make since because Dustin had always called me or my shop back every time I had problems before. In the past he has always been there to help if needed, but now its been 3 weeks and we cant get him on the phone.
My problem isn't as simple as needing blowers (or using a different company). I have the whipple now. I have my boat sold, but now I need to fix this problem, and I cant get anyone to even give us an anwer.

Whipple Charged
07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
XLGPP,
We have no record of you calling for 3 weeks. You have been able to contact me via email or fax if needed, and your dealer has had discussions with Keith. I'm not refusing to take calls, I'm very rarely in the office and if I am, I'm typically busy as of late doing other things to continue our future.
There are other people that can answer your question besides me, almost all my calls go to my help so I can concentrate on getting us compressors and moving forward from this difficult time. We are having severe supply problems from our vendor that we've had a very long relationship with. This is not something that we could've predicted or truly prepared for. It caught us by suprise and got worse as time went on. We are working on a soloution, but at this point, we don't have compressors in stock to replace or repair. We are not going out of business, we regret the temporary problem, but it has been out of our control and we are doing the best we can with the information we provide. Your dealer does have systems on order, as do anthoer 2000+ customers. More information will be released soon in regards to this matter. Saying that poker runners don't care about back orders, what do you want us to do? There are no compressors from the supplier, there are only 2 other companies that mfg. such a product, one is owned and operated by the same company, so similar problems are there, the other is a main competitor which supplies Mercedes and Mercury Marine for the Verado. We use at least 50% more than any of the other customer and nearly 500% more than the other, so we see the shortage at a greater level.
If you have a seal going out in the compressor, and it's designed with a steel rotor shaft (all later compressors including the 2.3R), then it can not be replaced without sending it back to Sweden where they have the proper tools to reinstall the gear, if it even can. The steel shaft has a knurled style spline and once the gear is removed, you lose an important amount of tolerance, in which it is very difficult to reinstall with accuracy to insure proper life afterwards. This is why we normally do not repair them, but replace them. It takes so much time to try and salavage one that it typically cost more to repair. This was not our design, but it's what we've worked with for the past 10+ years.
We never said we can repair the seal on the inside of the compressor (if it was leaking oil internally), it was sent in for inspection and we did just that. We can replace the outer seal between the front cover and front billet plate, which is what we replaced. If you need continued help in regards to this matter, contact us. This was RGA #K13601-1 but we do not have componets to repair the unit at this given time. Our best estimate at this point is september.
Bernie @ BMC is not our mfg. per say, he is a former employee that has alot of knowledge and machines some billet componets for us, but he is not the mfg.
Thanks,
Dustin Whipple

INSman
07-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Very good response Dustin, too bad there seems to be NO easy or quick fix on this one. :(

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Yep, my engine builder say's that guy who runs the place is a real asshole. I refuse to support people like that. I'll be going with a progharger or TT's.
Is a Progharger a ProCharger knock-off ???? Hehe!!!! :p
Maybe it's made in France ????? :rolleyes:
I hope the "Progh" version works better than the original...... :idea:
I just hit 100 hrs on my motor....I'll stick with Whipple...... :cool:
The guy who "Runs" the place is Art Whipple...... :rollside:
Not an Asshole unless you are an idiot or an asshole to start..... :notam:
He is a great ole' school man......Not just a company mouth piece..... :boxed:
Ask guys like Pfaff and both Teagues who they would use..... :)
HP gain's & reliability for the buck......Whipple...... :cool:
Later,
CJG
:D