PDA

View Full Version : need moving truck! penske or uhaul???

Blown Spectra
07-21-2005, 11:32 PM
best one to go with, i need more than 20' with a lift gate????
i;m going to use it local, same day return,
whats best to go with??
thanks
eric

Outnumbered
07-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Penske trucks are the nicer, newer ones and less likely to break down. I had a Budget break down--total nightmare. My buddy had an axel break on a u-haul. I have rented Penske before and I will spend the extra cash next time to use them.

Sleek-Jet
07-22-2005, 12:52 AM
I've had it up to here with Scew-U-Haul... I'd try Pensky.

Rexone
07-22-2005, 01:55 AM
I agree, Penske all the way. It is all I will rent anymore had so many bad and marginal experiences with other brands of marginally kept up rentals. Nothing worse than ending up on the side of the road cause you saved $20 on another brand. We use 24 footer with rail lift for boat show transport, never been stuck with a Penske yet.

NashvilleBound
07-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Without a doubt Penske.

RitcheyRch
07-22-2005, 03:33 AM
Penske. I went to rent a truck from u-haul and found out that there day rental is only for 12 hours and not 24. They told me for every hour after the 12th hour it would be $50.
Didnt have that problem with Penske. Also, as stated there trucks are newer.

jbtrailerjim
07-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Definitely go with Penske. There trucks are newer and are properly maintained. I wonder if U-Haul even has a Preventative Maintenance program. There trucks are junk and in terrible condition.

91nordic29
07-22-2005, 06:40 AM
PENSKE
that way, if you need customer service, you may get to speak to someone who is ACTUALLY IN the USA! :220v:

lalhc
07-22-2005, 06:42 AM
I'd go w/Penske. You may also want to check out a Hertz "neighborhood" location. I rented a 20 footer from them w/a lift gate.

Jinga
07-22-2005, 07:03 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DO NOT USE U-HAUL!!!
You'll regret it. I made a reservation with u-haul a couple of years ago when I was moving from one city to another 2 months in advance. I was told that a uhaul rep. would be calling at least 2 days before my move date to give me a pick up time. Long story short, I am still sitting in my apart. in the early afternoon with no phone call on the DAY of my move. I was told that they had no trucks but technically they had until midnight to find one. I ended up cancelling the reservation(which they normally won't do without penalty)but they got fed up with my cursing and calling so they cancelled it without penalty. I used another company and it was cheaper and much better customer service!
A Canadian News station even did a story on how people were being screwed by them.
Trust me, not worth the trouble.
Fhewww...it gets me fuming just writing about it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mike.A
07-22-2005, 07:08 AM
U-Haul = Cheaper & broken down on side of road
Penske = More Money but will be driving by the U-Haul thinking I am glad I spent the extra $. :cool:

meaniam
07-22-2005, 08:49 AM
damn. i guess i have skated by luck with uhaul. never had a problem. that i remember. i had a uhaul rear axle go up in smoke. coming down the ashland grant pass in orgeon. fire dept came and everything. uhaul sent 4 people out with new truck and unloaded reloaded, and paid for my food and hotel.
the orignal problem was that pass is really steep really long, and they had construction making it only 2 lanes. with heavy traffic and a (dare i say it)32 foot bayliner full of furniture and boxes. with this truck in first, it was still picking up speed. some scary shit. felt the brake pedal all spongy and the runaway truck ramps were all closed. with no place to pull over
after all that i would say uhual did a good job. that was back in 97