PDA

View Full Version : So Many Boats - So little knowledge

Boostable
07-22-2005, 09:52 AM
About 6 weeks ago I heard the 5 words that evey man wants to hear from their spouse. "We need a bigger boat"
So being the accomadating person that I am I agreed!!! Hence the search has commenced.
I have always like the mid cabin / open bow style and am really sick and tired of the same old shit here on the east coast. We have some nice builders "in fact I live right down the road form Velocity", but there is just something about the West Coast Mid Cabin Style!!! I gota have it!
So I need some help form the westerners that are in the know.
It seems like there are more and more builders poping up every month that build this style of boat, so if im missing anyone please feel free to suggest.
I will spend most of the time in lake and river's with the "occasional" salt water run to the Islands.
Here is what im looking for.
27-32' Mid Cabin Water Rocket. "Simple as that"
Good Handleing
Gota handle 2-3 chop well
60+ mandatory
All the go fast goodies
"QUALITY BUILD" You know what I mean.
The builders im considering are as follows.
SleekCraft - 30 or 32 SSB Heritage
Lavey - 2750 NuEra Sport
Advantage - 27 or 32 Victory BR
Magic - 29 Wizard
Ultra - 28 Stealth
Dana - 27 Offshore or 30 Destroyer
ShockWave - 29" Magnitude
Cobra - 27' Razor
Commander - 29' Signature
Profile - 304V
Lightning - 29XS
Caliber1 - 280 Thunder
DCB - Extreme 28
Did I leave anyone out?
I know it seems like a LONG list, but some im very familiar with and some I just found surfing the net, so would like to know more.
Im not affraid to buy used either so if anyone has a good source for those out west let me know. Once I get my short list going I will be coming out west to take some test rides and do some searching.
Once I make a selection "new or used" I will be driveing out and taking a 2 week trip on the way home and plan on making all the stops "most definetly Havasu" and others... more on that later..
I am concerned about the humidity down here, so less wood is better, but not against it. Would like to hear comments on that as well.
You just DONT see this style of boat on the east coast, and I can't wait to get it here. "what ever it may be"
Ok... there you have it. from what I have gathered opinions are not in short supply here so what do you got for me?
Thanks in advance,
Jack aka Boostable

riverroyal
07-22-2005, 09:55 AM
on this trip?start calling all of those,see if anythings in stock,my guess is no,maybe a magic in stock at their phoenix or fontana shops.This time of the year you may be making another trip out around october to pick it up!

Boostable
07-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Not planning on making any moves till after this season anyway. So I got a little time.. ;)

UltraStealth
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
There are a lot of nice boats on that list. How much are you looking to spend?

Boostable
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Thats a good question.
I guess that would depend on the boat "new or used" but I think for "New" I would like to be "around" 70K, but for the right boat maybe more.
And hey, if I eliminate some based on price that just makes my selectoin easier.. LOL
Used, I have no idea, have seen them all over the place.
JW

Boozer
07-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Thats a good question.
I guess that would depend on the boat "new or used" but I think for "New" I would like to be "around" 70K, but for the right boat maybe more.
And hey, if I eliminate some based on price that just makes my selectoin easier.. LOL
JW
The only thing you're going to touch new on that list would be the Dana and the Commander with your budget of 70K and even with those choices you'll probably spend a little more then 70K with some good options.

Whipped Caliber
07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Thats a good question.
JW
70K is low for a new boat, any on your list! You will spend 70K+ just for a used one.
If you are looking for a bad ass caliber 1 !! I will have one at the end of the season, but not for that price. Mine has all what you are looking for and alot more.
BTW The only thing that Caliber did was the hull.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
You should try to fly out for a weekend and attend a west coast boat show. That is my recommendation. LA or Phoenix. We usually make a party out of the LA one and it is enormous! Held in January. I think the Phoenix one is a month or two later.

Boostable
07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
I dont have a problem spending more, im more concerned about the quality of the boat itself. You get what you pay for right!
The boat show sounds like a GREAT idea. That is definetly doable.
JW

Biglue
07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Go Bayliner :2purples:

Chubby4Life
07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a 2003 Dana 27' Offshore that I just picked up used in june. I paid 59 for it and this seemed like the going rate for this size and style. The boat seems well built and handled the Lake Mojave chop very well. My only dislike is that it does'n't have the freeboard that the commanders and Laveys had. Hope this helps a little.

rivercrazy
07-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Just my humble opinion but I'd leave off the following from your list:
Commander
Sleekcraft
Magic
Lightning
Caliber (except Whipped's boat!)
And add:
Eliminator
Howard (a little low on freeboard though)
Hallet (in non-step bottom config's)
Sunsation
As for wood, I wouldn't be overly concerned about wood in the construction if the builder properly treats it during layup. The higher quality Mfg's not only thickly apply resin for protection but lay glass over wood as well. Flocoating is nice but a layer of glass is better. Strong and water tight......

JB in so cal
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
At the LA boat show, they were talking $75k loaded w/496 HO. CAn't be much more than that, now.

ECeptor
07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Although not a west coat builder, there is the Sunsation 288 mid-cabin - http://www.sunsationboats.com/mod288ob.htm
I drove one last year and was very impressed. It had an HP500 and ran quickly up to a top speed in the low 70's. As hard as it accelerated, I'd guess it could have gained a few mph with a bigger prop.
I'm not sure how it stacks up against the competition, but it definitely fits the criteria you listed.

hotlavey
07-22-2005, 11:34 AM
You mentioned Lavey 2750. Mine is for sale but it is a hard deck and it is more then 70K
Check it out:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85816

Boostable
07-22-2005, 12:34 PM
I have a 2003 Dana 27' Offshore that I just picked up used in june. I paid 59 for it and this seemed like the going rate for this size and style. The boat seems well built and handled the Lake Mojave chop very well. My only dislike is that it does'n't have the freeboard that the commanders and Laveys had. Hope this helps a little.
Chubby,
Seems like a good deal. Have any specs or pics to show? I have been checking out the Dana, but my only concern was the wood, but as stated here earlier that may not be a big issue.
JW

RiverDave
07-22-2005, 12:36 PM
The only thing you're going to touch new on that list would be the Dana and the Commander with your budget of 70K and even with those choices you'll probably spend a little more then 70K with some good options.
I'm pretty sure SleekCraft was offering some pretty wicked deals on their 28-30 Heritage models.. Cole Trickle just picked one up and when he told me the price I about passed out it was definately a SWEET DEAL for the boat.
If it was me, I'd start down at Ultra and just see what they might have in stock (You never know).
The Dana 27 is one of my favorite boats on the list, and they are way underpriced for what you get (hydraulic scissor hinges, 1st class tabs, DCB style rigging/zipties included)
I'd go down and talk to Barry at Shockwave as well.. I don't think your going to get into a 29 for anywhere near that price, but you might be close on a 25.. The 25 Shockwave is as big as some of the other boats on your list.
RD
SleekCraft - 30 or 32 SSB Heritage
Lavey - 2750 NuEra Sport
Advantage - 27 or 32 Victory BR
Magic - 29 Wizard
Ultra - 28 Stealth
Dana - 27 Offshore or 30 Destroyer
ShockWave - 29" Magnitude
Cobra - 27' Razor
Commander - 29' Signature
Profile - 304V
Lightning - 29XS
Caliber1 - 280 Thunder
DCB - Extreme 28

Boostable
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Although not a west coat builder, there is the Sunsation 288 mid-cabin - http://www.sunsationboats.com/mod288ob.htm
I drove one last year and was very impressed. It had an HP500 and ran quickly up to a top speed in the low 70's. As hard as it accelerated, I'd guess it could have gained a few mph with a bigger prop.
I'm not sure how it stacks up against the competition, but it definitely fits the criteria you listed.
I love the Sunstation, the only reason its not on my list is because it seems they are a bit prouder of there's then other builders. Can't touch one for under 100K new and nicely equiped your talking 140K plus...
Thats getting up there for me. Not sure what they go for used.
JW

ECeptor
07-22-2005, 12:54 PM
I love the Sunstation, the only reason its not on my list is because it seems they are a bit prouder of there's then other builders. Can't touch one for under 100K new and nicely equiped your talking 140K plus...
Thats getting up there for me. Not sure what they go for used.
JW
A quick check on boattrader.com yielded these:
cheapest nice closed bow one...possibly convert to mid-cabin?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/4/79944334.htm
cheapest mid cabin
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/79439258.htm

Boostable
07-22-2005, 01:05 PM
A quick check on boattrader.com yielded these:
cheapest nice closed bow one...possibly convert to mid-cabin?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/4/79944334.htm
cheapest mid cabin
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/8/79439258.htm
Both very nice and priced better then I thought. More investigation necessary on those for sure.
JW

Dave C
07-22-2005, 01:13 PM
check out Howard and Sunsation.

Chubby4Life
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
JW, I'm not able to post attachment here (low post count I guess) send me your e-mail address to schrissharp@aol.com and I'll send them that way. Also I gutted the existing stereo and while installing new wires I noticed that all the plywood was resin coated.

Boostable
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Just my humble opinion but I'd leave off the following from your list:
Commander
Sleekcraft
Magic
Lightning
Caliber (except Whipped's boat!)
And add:
Eliminator
Howard (a little low on freeboard though)
Hallet (in non-step bottom config's)
Sunsation
As for wood, I wouldn't be overly concerned about wood in the construction if the builder properly treats it during layup. The higher quality Mfg's not only thickly apply resin for protection but lay glass over wood as well. Flocoating is nice but a layer of glass is better. Strong and water tight......
Any reason why you recommend the removal of the above?

Boostable
07-22-2005, 01:20 PM
JW, I'm not able to post attachment here (low post count I guess) send me your e-mail address to schrissharp@aol.com and I'll send them that way. Also I gutted the existing stereo and while installing new wires I noticed that all the plywood was resin coated.
Thats really good to know... I will drop you an email right away.
Thanks,
JW

Boostable
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
You mentioned Lavey 2750. Mine is for sale but it is a hard deck and it is more then 70K
Check it out:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85816
Beautiful boat!!!! If I was in the market for a hard deck that would be top of my list. VERY NICE!!!!
JW

ECeptor
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Both very nice and priced better then I thought. More investigation necessary on those for sure.
JW
Check boattrader often. They come and go pretty fast this time of the year.
Of the two I listed, I'd do the cuddy with the 502 then open up the bow over the winter and add a supercharger. Would make for a nice 80mph 7 seater!

Boostable
07-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Check boattrader often. They come and go pretty fast this time of the year.
Of the two I listed, I'd do the cuddy with the 502 then open up the bow over the winter and add a supercharger. Would make for a nice 80mph 7 seater!
Your a braver man then me.. LOL

laveydayz
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Any reason why you recommend the removal of the above? I would do a search on Commander and read some of the threads on them.....from what I know Magic builds a good boat.

rivercrazy
07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Any reason why you recommend the removal of the above?
Mostly just personal preferance and opinion after being in the socal boating market for a long time. Things like reputation, service, performance issues, rigging, business practices, bankruptcy, etc.
They all would probably build you an acceptable boat but not on the top of my list.

Boostable
07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Mostly just personal preferance and opinion after being in the socal boating market for a long time. Things like reputation, service, performance issues, rigging, business practices, bankruptcy, etc.
They all would probably build you an acceptable boat but on the top of my list.
Thanks River,
Thats exactly the kind of information im looking for.

hotlavey
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Beautiful boat!!!! If I was in the market for a hard deck that would be top of my list. VERY NICE!!!!
JW
Thanks, appreciate the compliment.

ECeptor
07-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Your a braver man then me.. LOL
Probably not, I just talk big! :D
You are braver than me for spending $70k on a boat... :p

Supultlbich
07-22-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree with river.
Lavey
Howard
Hallett
Eliminator
Sleek
Cobra

Boostable
07-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Probably not, I just talk big! :D
You are braver than me for spending $70k on a boat... :p
I did hear from someone else that this could be done... never no..
FYI... contacted the seller of the Sunstation Hard Deck.. --GONE!!!!
:(

ECeptor
07-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I did hear from someone else that this could be done... never no..
FYI... contacted the seller of the Sunstation Hard Deck.. --GONE!!!!
:(
There's a thread on here about the conversion. Several have done it with awesome looking results.
That's too bad about the hard deck...keep looking on trader as often as possible and you'll find another soon.
Here's the cheapest 288 I could find. Not sure what "needs TLC" really means without seeing it. The 330hp 454 would have to be replaced.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/4/78287054.htm
Others powered by 502s, blown 496s or blown 454s.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/7/80186547.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/6/80014526.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/4/78019684.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/1/80199881.htm
Here's the one you really want...mid-cabin with blown 496 topping out in the 80's!
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/3/79804763.htm

Boostable
07-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks ECepter,
I will continue the hunt!!!!
Im putting a nice comparison "specs" or all the comparable models we have discussed. I will gladly share when completed.
JW