PDA

View Full Version : Radio question??? / Problem

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 01:15 PM
I Have a problem with my Stereo, the dam thing just shuts off. I have a newer sony head unit 2 jl amps pushing 2 jl 12's and 10 6x9's. I have never had a problem with the stereo untill this weekend. The head unit will just shut off. I have check all the fuses, wires, grounds and connections and every thing appears to be in order. I replaced both batts. thinking that might be the problem but no. The radio will shut off on cd, tuner, sat radio, i pod at any vol. level. What could it be??? Please help

jdf
07-22-2005, 01:18 PM
it is getting hot and shutting down ...does it come back on after about 10 mins or so??

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
no. it seems to do it all the time, it usually cuts out for a few seconds and plays for a few mins. then out of a few mins and plays for a few seconds.

1stepcloser
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Is the head unit shutting off? or is the display still on and the sound is cutting off?

ON THE GO AUDIO
07-22-2005, 01:30 PM
If You Have A Grounded Out Speaker ( Like Blown Or Wire Pinched).
Or Your Sat Radio Conn Is Unplugged Halfway

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
No All the connections are tight and where they should be. The radio shuts down. no light on the display, when the radio shuts off it kills the amps as well. But then they come back on

Midlife Advantage
07-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Low Battery voltage or current capacity....
oops you said you replaced the batteries. Measure your battery voltage, just for grins, while you turn on the stereo. if it drops below 12v or so that will tell you a lot. also check the main harness on the back of the engine if its a 496, I had trouble with the one on mine. that harness delivers most of the guage and operating voltages to the console.

ROZ
07-22-2005, 03:55 PM
One last thing, since it's a Sony and you're running a bunch of Unilink stuff, unplug the unilink connector going into the head, reset the unit and play a CD for a while. See if this shuts off the unit. I've seen bad XA-30C's (unilink expander) shut down the head unit, so I'm guessing bad unilink devices can shut them down too.
I responded as your 1st paragragh(bad headunit) in the audio section, but you are onto something here... When the marine remotes go bad, they have been known to cause function problems to the headunit. It wouldn't surprise me if this could be the issue. Like "Bob" ;) Said, unplug the unilink and control plug from the headunit, and give it a try... Could be loose molex, too..

SummitKarl
07-22-2005, 03:57 PM
it could be many things, like power feed, try adding a 1mfd cap to the power line, or changeing the ALT to a higher Amp mdl.
but it sounds like "Temp protection cut off"
also some stereos sence about 1995 have come with a "AUTO Shut Off" feature when a cell phone call is made or recieved within the car.

*!Ken's Wife!*
07-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Sounds like the amps are getting too hot. Do you have fans on them or built in fans already? If your amps are in a small area and are getting too hot your stereo will shut off. And what ohm are your amps?

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
No its not the the ulink, I unplugged all that stuff and still had the prb. the amps seem to be shutting down because of the head unit shutting off. The remote wire for tha amps shuts off when the head does

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Guess not. I disconected it from the Batt. is ther a buttom on the head unit??

GOTLDH
07-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the help!!!! :cool: