PDA

View Full Version : plasma, lcd, dlp..wtf???

gmocnik
07-22-2005, 02:35 PM
when did buying a tv get so f'ing complicated????
$2500 budget...(i'll piss it away on boat stuff but not a tv)
42-50 inch
plasma is cool because it is thin...the 16-18 wide projection sets are fine...
what is the best picture for the money??? lcd rear projection, dlp rear projection, plasma???
what have you bought and why???...and where....and will you loan me the money....

HocusPocus
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
im not fond of the plasma screens yet.. especially if you like to do any kind of gaming.. images get blurry or distorted too much for my taste.
you really should go Hidef as it wont be much longer and all programming will be going to this.
costco had a decent 65" tv for under 2k.. if your out shopping it would be worth a look.

Chubby4Life
07-22-2005, 03:25 PM
[what have you bought and why???...and where....and will you loan me the money....]
To answer your questions: Phillips 42" Plasma, because my wife co-signed for a car for her sister, (were even) Fry's and last but not least, No! :D Anyway I agree with Hocus about the hi-def part as I believe all brodcasting will be in that format by the begining of the year. I bought the Plasma because I couldn't afford the LCD version. I'm not that impressed with the broadcast channels (non HD) but the DVD quality is great.

Dave C
07-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I got an LCD, HDTV is great on this!. I did this rather than the plasma cuz the bulb is replacable.
I didn't like the DLP's for some reason
what ever you get make sure its HDTV!
oh if there is lots of glare in your house, check out a plasma HDTV (not EDTV)

h2oski2fast
07-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Dlp.

2Driver
07-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Plasma fit our bill as we were looking for something that would not wash out if the room was bright (sun) and could be viewed at all angles. Thin too.
www.circuitcity.com has a nice education part to their web site. The link is usually present when you are shopping. Try it
see ya

Dawn Patrol
07-22-2005, 03:43 PM
when did buying a tv get so f'ing complicated????
$2500 budget...(i'll piss it away on boat stuff but not a tv)
42-50 inch
plasma is cool because it is thin...the 16-18 wide projection sets are fine...
what is the best picture for the money??? lcd rear projection, dlp rear projection, plasma???
what have you bought and why???...and where....and will you loan me the money....
Get ahold of Roz. He's the one that can hook ya up with anything electronic.

ROZ
07-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Plasma fit our bill as we were looking for something that would not wash out if the room was bright (sun) and could be viewed at all angles. Thin too.
www.circuitcity.com has a nice education part to their web site. The link is usually present when you are shopping. Try it
see ya
Actually it's just the opposite if you're speaking of glare... Since plasma tv's have glass screen, they are what have glare issues. Flat panel LCD is what is better in rooms with a lot of glare. A room being bright is another issue...

ROZ
07-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Get ahold of Roz. He's the one that can hook ya up with anything electronic.
yea ;) :D

BajaMike
07-22-2005, 05:16 PM
yea ;) :D
Roz, what do you think?? The DLP I have seen seems to be the sharpest, brightest....also the Sony XBR projection....just unbelievably sharp and bright.
:confused:

riverroyal
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
sony wega rear lcd,something something,at cost co,2999$,great deal,I have the TV and its really nice,and it only weighs like 80 pds,18 inches thick,,cant hang it on a wall but cheaper than a plasma

BajaMike
07-22-2005, 05:34 PM
sony wega rear lcd,something something,at cost co,2999$,great deal,I have the TV and its really nice,and it only weighs like 80 pds,18 inches thick,,cant hang it on a wall but cheaper than a plasma
Ya, my buddy has one....best picture i've ever seen!!
:2purples:

riverroyal
07-22-2005, 05:37 PM
even in the room with sun shining in its great,I paid way more than cost co price when I got mine,I threw up when I saw it there

BoatPI
07-22-2005, 05:42 PM
We had a good thread on this last week as I just purchased a 50" HD plasma. What ever you do, BUY HD! The comparable LCD's are about 25% higher than plasmas. A 42" plasma HD is flirting with the $3,000 mark, with Panasonic priced as low as $3,200, or Phillips.

Boostable
07-22-2005, 06:12 PM
DLP...
Watching my Mitsu 52525 DLP HD set right now. I can never go back to regular TV man!!!
Picture quality and sharpness is right up there with anything I have seen. Even my better half commentent that she could see the eye lashes on the chics in her soaps, and she don't notice any of my cool tech stuff.....
Single blub = ease of maintenance
Love it!
JW

*BN*
07-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I just hooked up both of these not 30 minutes ago and they are KILLER! Both are FLAT PANELS
Sharp LC-45GX6U 45 in. AQUOS LCD HDTV-Built In Television - Sharps LC-45GX6U AQUOS is a state-of-the-art 45 widescreen1 HDTV that can easily enhance the decor of any family room, living room or den. ...
Product Code: LC45GX6U Mfg Part #: LC-45GX6U
And a..
Sharp LC-37D7U AQUOS -LCD HDTV - Same as above but 37"

ROZ
07-22-2005, 10:01 PM
DLP...
Watching my Mitsu 52525 DLP HD set right now. I can never go back to regular TV man!!!
Picture quality and sharpness is right up there with anything I have seen. Even my better half commentent that she could see the eye lashes on the chics in her soaps, and she don't notice any of my cool tech stuff.....
Single blub = ease of maintenance
Love it!
JW
Wish I had room for a mits dlp...

fat rat
07-23-2005, 04:24 AM
DLP! :wink:

TOBTEK
07-23-2005, 05:57 AM
ROZ "BRO'ed" us on our new Elite 50" HDTV plasma.....it DOESN't suck ;) ...now just need two more 42" DLP's for the bedrooms.......and a back hoe please :messedup:

river chaser
07-23-2005, 06:18 AM
just bought a 60' grand sony wega, and its the best TV I have ever seen! Buy at Circuit City, they price matched Best Buy for 3299, they priced matched the warranty for 399, and they gave me 10% off all the cables including the Harmony Remote! **Remember, you need the cables to get the clear picture, and the plug block too**
The cables will run you $300++
Don't forget the HD DVD player, you need this in order to convert any DVD's you watch to HD quality! $149++
Oh Yeah, get the Harmony remote, it's $150, but well worth not having to switch all your remotes to make something work!
Oh yeah, circuit city does 24 month deferred billing!!!!

Red Horse
07-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Forget all that other shit. HD ILA is the way to go. I am in Japan and we are at least 2 years in front of the states.
I have a JVC HD ILA. Here is the reason why. Plasma: when the bulb burns out all you have is a cabinet. LCD, about the same. DLP, which is good, but they have a color wheel in them. Look at it too long and you will get vertigo!!!
HD ILA. Hi Def, No color wheel, 3 primary color chips, replacable bulb when it goes out (30K hours) and the cabinet is pretty slim. All for about the same as a rear projection. All the guys that come to my house ask where I got such a bad ass tv. JVC is the way to go right now.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7936Japan_Cars_and_house_002-med.jpg