PDA

View Full Version : Merc 525 hop-ups

dicudmore
07-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Anybody supercharge one??

Kilrtoy
07-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Anybody supercharge one??
I was told you cant mod them, they have no distributor.
this was told to me by a HOWARD owner.
Don't know if it is true....

djunkie
07-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Give Gary a call. He seems to know a lot about this. www.tpboats.com

Beer-30
07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
2003-2005 HP525HP EFI
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/Images/productimages/525HPEFI.jpg

Strip Poker 388
07-24-2005, 08:17 AM
On the Whipple set up 3.3.He said he replaces the hole computer system. I was told there are hard to get also.He has a supply problem . They said Sept next shipment.
It shouild be a very good base motor to supercharge .It should handle over 800 pretty easy :boxed:
Rob :)

dicudmore
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
anybody else?

laveydayz
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=dicudmore]Anybody supercharge one??[/QUOT
Are you sniffin for ideas on a new boat?? I thought you had said you had something in the works??? That would be a sweet setup....have heard of a few peeps with the 500efi supercharging with good results but, not much on the 525..

dicudmore
07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=dicudmore]Anybody supercharge one??[/QUOT
Are you sniffin for ideas on a new boat?? I thought you had said you had something in the works??? That would be a sweet setup....have heard of a few peeps with the 500efi supercharging with good results but, not much on the 525..
yes :D
and seeing as how we're almost neighbors... I'll keep ya up to date :D

INSman
07-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Dan
You really owe it to yourself to call Gary Taylor, he is your guy for sure and he is local over by me in Newberry Park. I was going to go this route on a single engine (competitor 'x') boat, until they pissed me off and prentended like they were the ONLY boat mfg. to consider in the size range I was looking at.
Should be pretty turn-key, just may need some drive upgrades from Max Machine, which Gary can also suggest and attest to !! :D

Beer-30
07-27-2005, 09:56 PM
WHY?turn key killer motor,ok spill the beans what ya getting :cool:
For the money, you would be ahead if you got a GT TPI700. Normally aspirated, around the same HP, built better.

dicudmore
07-28-2005, 07:14 AM
no doubt... GT's 700 is a SWEET motor :cool:
I'm just afraid that it may be harder to sell a 700HP package to my insurance man than the 500HP 525. You know its possible I "forgot" to mention the blower :wink:

dicudmore
07-28-2005, 07:15 AM
WHY?turn key killer motor,ok spill the beans what ya getting :cool:
Mark, as soon as I know what I'm getting you'll know :D

Beer-30
07-28-2005, 09:28 AM
no doubt... GT's 700 is a SWEET motor :cool:
I'm just afraid that it may be harder to sell a 700HP package to my insurance man than the 500HP 525. You know its possible I "forgot" to mention the blower :wink:
How do they know? My agent just asked how much HP. I, of course, didn't have to stretch the truth at 425. But, for all they know, it could be a 700 TPI! But it's not. :(

dicudmore
07-28-2005, 09:38 AM
How do they know? My agent just asked how much HP. I, of course, didn't have to stretch the truth at 425. But, for all they know, it could be a 700 TPI! But it's not. :(
they are known to come out and take pics sometimes :idea: :rolleyes:

Beer-30
07-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Ah. Mine didn't. Still, so it says "700 TPI" on top (for example). "Uh....oh yeah, that's 700 cubic inches, it is de-tuned to 500 HP for safety......"

TPI
07-29-2005, 05:28 AM
Guys,
When it comes to insurance for your boat, I would really put what you have in the boat. If there was a fatality accident(God Forbid), there would be a lengthy investigation. If they found out you were dishonest, you would be responsible for the whole thing. I hate insurance, but we all need it.
On a more positive note:
When Whipple gets blowers going again, 3.3/525 upgrades are no problem, ALL of the ignition system comes off now, NO Smartcraft, No extra coils, ALL of it comes off. It will make a very comfortable 750+ HP easily. A TPI700EFI is always an option, as a matter of fact, I am building one for stock right now. 588 ci/742 HP, It "pops" pretty hard, you can definately tell there is something large under the hatch. Either way, they both are a solid choice.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Guys,
When it comes to insurance for your boat, I would really put what you have in the boat. If there was a fatality accident(God Forbid), there would be a lengthy investigation. If they found out you were dishonest, you would be responsible for the whole thing. I hate insurance, but we all need it.
On a more positive note:
When Whipple gets blowers going again, 3.3/525 upgrades are no problem, ALL of the ignition system comes off now, NO Smartcraft, No extra coils, ALL of it comes off. It will make a very comfortable 750+ HP easily. A TPI700EFI is always an option, as a matter of fact, I am building one for stock right now. 588 ci/742 HP, It "pops" pretty hard, you can definately tell there is something large under the hatch. Either way, they both are a solid choice.
Gary we may need to get in touch soon here, we are almost neighbors :D

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Guys,
Exactly!! Insurance companies are not idiots and they will investigate a large claim related to a high performance boat. If you are going to lie about the HP in your boat you might as well just save your money and don't pay for the insurance because your coverage could get denied when you need it. As much as it sucks to pay high insurance premiums, it is part of high performance boating..
If you lose the smartcraft, etc when you supercharge the 525EFI, wouldn't it make more sense to save a few thousand $$$ and start with a 500EFI? I have the smartcraft monitors on my boat and I really like them. I can tell exactly how much fuel I have burned. :mad: :eek: :)

INSman
07-29-2005, 07:56 AM
If you buy a boat with a stock 525 and get insurance for it at that time in that configuration, then you have not misrepresentd the HP. Typical STANDARD insurance companies then just send you an annual renewal bill with NO questions about upgrades and such nor is there language in the policy indicating that you have to provide information of such during the course of the policy or when an "upgrade" of anything occurs.
I think as long as you ORDER a Whipple after taking posession of the boat, you should be fine. As always, be sure to read your own current or new policy before renewing or purchasing at least twice !! :cool:

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
If you buy a boat with a stock 525 and get insurance for it at that time in that configuration, then you have not misrepresentd the HP. Typical STANDARD insurance companies then just send you an annual renewal bill with NO questions about upgrades and such nor is there language in the policy indicating that you have to provide information of such during the course of the policy or when an "upgrade" of anything occurs.
I think as long as you ORDER a Whipple after taking posession of the boat, you should be fine. As always, be sure to read your own current or new policy before renewing or purchasing at least twice !! :cool:
That was my understanding as well...
I won't get into anything that seems like fraud.

Dave C
07-29-2005, 08:16 AM
uuhhhhh.. not so fast:
I read my insurance policy and it explicitly states that I must keep them informed of any "material changes" made to the boat, powertrain and speed. If these items change I must tell them. Then of course they will cancel me.
My experience with insurance contracts is that they tend to cover all contingencies pretty well in favor of insurance co such as material changes to the item insured.
Or at least they will take the position that you are not covered with the whipple if you don't say anything. Then you must then hire an attorney to convince them that they do.....
either way its gonna be expensive.
IMHO it would be better to be honest and insure through Markel or something like that.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2005, 08:18 AM
If you lose the smartcraft, etc when you supercharge the 525EFI, wouldn't it make more sense to save a few thousand $$$ and start with a 500EFI? I have the smartcraft monitors on my boat and I really like them. I can tell exactly how much fuel I have burned. :mad: :eek: :)
Exactly why I'm looking into adding the Smartcraft gauges to our 525. I just don't want the big square display on my dash.

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Ok, I'm with ya on the honest report to ins., I knew INSman would get in on this. ;) However, I see it being an issue in the same fashion by bolting on a Whipple. If they pull it up from the bottom after a crash and see a Whipple bolted on, you can bet they are gonna find you in breech.

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I plan on raising mine to no more than 525. No ins probs, and that will be plenty fast enough. Most of my crew gets nervous doing 60 in 3 footers as it is.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 09:02 AM
I plan on raising mine to no more than 525. No ins probs, and that will be plenty fast enough. Most of my crew gets nervous doing 60 in 3 footers as it is.
depends on the day for me...some 3 footers are no worries and some the crew definitely wonders what we are doing :hammerhea

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 09:10 AM
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/81_new_001_sm.gif
8.1L Marine Engine 525 HP 2001-2005
8.1L Marine Engine New This Engine will work for Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo Penta, Indmar,Cruisader, etc.
525+ hp @ 5400 RPM / 570+ lb-ft @ 4000 RPM Late Model 2005 Vortec 8.1L Marine Engine (one piece rear main seal, roller cam and roller lifters).
This 8.1L Marine Engine comes equipped with the following:
-Performace high lift camshaft
-Forged steel crankshaft
-Ported hiflow cylinder heads
-PFI intake (Flowed) for higher air flow
-Roller Rockers
-Flywheel
-Cam sensor & the additional marine EFI engine Sensors
-Platinum tipped spark plugs
-Corrosion resistant urethane paint
-Complete cylinder head, engine block and all internal components
-Oil pan
-Marine Circulation pump
-Marine dampner pully
-Wiring harness, ECM, Throttle Body and Fuel Pump
Note! Your boat must be equipped with Performance Exhaust System
-One Year (part and labor) Written Warranty
(Email sales@michiganmotorz.com or call (248)-554-4400 to place your order or for a shipping quote)
Professional engine installation available in the Detroit, MI area for only $Call for installation Price
(Email sales@michiganmotorz.com or call (248)-554-4400 to place your order or for a shipping quote)
$15,999.00 plus shipping!
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Exactly why I'm looking into adding the Smartcraft gauges to our 525. I just don't want the big square display on my dash.
I'm not used to the look of only the large smartcraft monitor, so I have a full set of Livorsi monster gauges in my dash. In addition to these gauges, I have two small smartcraft monitors, one for each engine. It's amazing how much fuel I can burn at 80+ MPH.. :jawdrop:

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm not used to the look of only the large smartcraft monitor, so I have a full set of Livorsi monster gauges in my dash. In addition to these gauges, I have two small smartcraft monitors, one for each engine. It's amazing how much fuel I can burn at 80+ MPH.. :jawdrop:
So I am assuming you have twin 525s. Basically, at that speed, you have 8 toilets flushing on each motor. :eek:

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd like not to think about all that fuel :messedup:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2005, 09:46 AM
So the small smartcraft monitors tell you all of the stuff you want/need to know?

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 09:47 AM
So the small smartcraft monitors tell you all of the stuff you want/need to know?
And some things you don't.
Dan, better stick with an HO or two.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
And some things you don't.
Dan, better stick with an HO or two.
negative on the HO :cool:

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 09:51 AM
negative on the HO :cool:
Trader.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Trader.
yes...still love my V, and my HO though :D
I'd keep them if I could :D :D

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't remember everything they display, but I know they display RPM, fuel psi, oil psi, volts, water psi, fuel burn in gal/hr, total fuel burned since reset. I mainly use the gal/hr and total fuel burned. I don't fill my tanks up, so it's nice for me to knw exactly how much fuel I have burned.

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
yes...still love my V, and my HO though :D
I'd keep them if I could :D :D
Ok. Now I am confused :confused:
You say you can't keep your V / HO, but you want to BUILD a 26-27 cat with a 525?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't remember everything they display, but I know they display RPM, fuel psi, oil psi, volts, water psi, fuel burn in gal/hr, total fuel burned since reset. I mainly use the gal/hr and total fuel burned. I don't fill my tanks up, so it's nice for me to knw exactly how much fuel I have burned.
That sounds about what I'm looking for.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Ok. Now I am confused :confused:
You say you can't keep your V / HO, but you want to BUILD a 26-27 cat with a 525?
yeah, I'd love to have both :D :D

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2005, 10:14 AM
The "fuel used" screen can also be a real eye opener for guests who want to help out and give you $10 for fuel.. :rollside: J/K :P

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 01:09 PM
The "fuel used" screen can also be a real eye opener for guests who want to help out and give you $10 for fuel.. :rollside: J/K :P
ain't that a bitch? I wouldn't take money from one of my fellow boaters, but I get kinda burned when I take other people out for the weekend and they don't offer $$$ for ANYTHING. Fuel, food ice etc

Steamin' Rice
07-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Exactly.. When we invite people to go out on the boat with us, we do not want them to pay for fuel because we would be taking the boat out and burning the fuel with or without them. I actually had a buddy sneak way too much $$ into my truck one day after riding in the boat - I didn't realize it at the time, but he had been watching the monitors and knew how much we used.

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Exactly.. When we invite people to go out on the boat with us, we do not want them to pay for fuel because we would be taking the boat out and burning the fuel with or without them. I actually had a buddy sneak way too much $$ into my truck one day after riding in the boat - I didn't realize it at the time, but he had been watching the monitors and knew how much we used.
yeah, I loaned my truck to a certain Shockwave owning board member yesterday and he put a bunch of fuel in it... then he found out I had an aftermarket 45 gallon fuel tank when his C/card cut off :D
I WILL bring gas $$$ when I get my Catalina ride w/ya, whether or not you choose to accept it ;)

TPI
07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/81_new_001_sm.gif
8.1L Marine Engine 525 HP 2001-2005
8.1L Marine Engine New This Engine will work for Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo Penta, Indmar,Cruisader, etc.
525+ hp @ 5400 RPM / 570+ lb-ft @ 4000 RPM Late Model 2005 Vortec 8.1L Marine Engine (one piece rear main seal, roller cam and roller lifters).
This 8.1L Marine Engine comes equipped with the following:
-Performace high lift camshaft
-Forged steel crankshaft
-Ported hiflow cylinder heads
-PFI intake (Flowed) for higher air flow
-Roller Rockers
-Flywheel
-Cam sensor & the additional marine EFI engine Sensors
-Platinum tipped spark plugs
-Corrosion resistant urethane paint
-Complete cylinder head, engine block and all internal components
-Oil pan
-Marine Circulation pump
-Marine dampner pully
-Wiring harness, ECM, Throttle Body and Fuel Pump
Note! Your boat must be equipped with Performance Exhaust System
-One Year (part and labor) Written Warranty
Professional engine installation available in the Detroit, MI area for only $Call for installation Price
$15,999.00 plus shipping!
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/product_info.php?products_id=118
This sounds like a pretty good deal.......................Just keep in mind you will need about $10K in accessories, brackets, exhaust, and misc to even start it up. Now your looking at $26K minimum if you go with a nice CMI exhaust or IMCO Powerflow Plus.........................TPI 600EFI=$26K just another option in this huge marine world of choices.

Beer-30
07-29-2005, 05:07 PM
That would actually be more of a "direct replacement" for a blown up Mag or Mag HO. Probably would like an upgraded set of coolers and a scosh more fuel pressure, though.

TPI
07-29-2005, 05:19 PM
No doubt about it, if you were fixing up an existing set up, that would be another option for an EFI set up.

98 Vector 21
07-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Mark, as soon as I know what I'm getting you'll know :D
I might know?

dicudmore
07-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I might know?
you know as much as anyone...none of us know for sure yet :D