PDA

View Full Version : i need some career opertunities,or ideas..

rivergoer
07-25-2005, 05:41 AM
hey everyone...well im a marine right now and will be finishing up my 5th year oct of 06..the cards dealt to me by the marines just arent in my favor anymore,need to put my family first now,im tired of putting the mrs and myself through all the stress and bs dealt to me. so i need to find some kind of job with chances of being able to move up..i will be located in huntington beach and the wife works as a hr person in orange, i dont want to relocate her so just thought i would see what you guys have to offer, ive been a mech for deisel eng,turbine,as well as aircraft for the last 5 years,i also have ran a section of about 15 people for 3 years. not only am i a mech but can work with my hands and can lead people to get jobs done..all im really looking for right now to start is about $2,600 $3,000 a month,and a chance to move up. thanks
steve
my email is steve_kean73@yahoo.com

UBFJ #454
07-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Are you an A&P?

rivergoer
07-25-2005, 06:45 AM
not yet dont have the time to get my a&p lic right now. but marine corps will 100% fund all education up to 5 years of me being out of the marine corps. i will have 50k for schooling. or voc training.

91nordic29
07-25-2005, 06:57 AM
one word.... arizona.
mesquite power plant (http://www.semprageneration.com/Pages/Projects/Mesquite/Mesquite.aspx)
you wife wont HAVE to work but if she wants to, plenty of HR positions here. :cool:

rivergoer
07-25-2005, 07:08 AM
looks preety good i see they have a plant by oceanside make that drive right now every day to get to pendelton...when im not deployed. thanks im still up for options i have a year to do what i need to do..so it should pass by preety quick.

91nordic29
07-25-2005, 07:17 AM
have you considered another branch of the service? the benefits after a few more years are priceless. i wish i knew then what i know now. i would have gone into the air force.

rivergoer
07-25-2005, 05:45 PM
no im done with it all period. just burnt out from it all..i did my 5 years and well its time to move on, to better things,and hey my familly comes first.

termiteguy
07-25-2005, 05:53 PM
my nieghbor works for hertz heavy equipment rentals he tell me they are allways
looking for good diesel mech. they have lots of locations :idea:

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Working on airplanes and helo's is fun, but right now it's a dead-end career path. Almost all of the major airlines are outsourcing maint. or will be in the near future. Unless you just want to get your A&P, I wouldn't invest any of your GI Bill money in it.
Anything in the energy sector is a good idea right now. :D Trading and scheduling for electricity is a growing field.

Jbb
07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Not to sound negative but the Airline industry is one to steer clear of....I was in it for years and unless you want to spend your career worrying about the next downturn in the economy,avoid it.....The work and pay is good ....but its just not stable....I wish I could sell you my A&P and Fcc licenses... :D The upside to it is your skills are easily transferred to any mechanical environment ......Or you could be a Pixie Dust spreader on the Tilt O Whirl.....like me!..... :)

mexrunner
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM
look into working for edison hiring like mad right now in the field constuction side if you don't have a fear of heights go in as a groundman the get an apprentice bid and you'll make big money when you top out as a lineman from hiring on to becoming a lineman takes about five years right now. groundman pay starts at 16.48 hr with lots of over time average groundman makes 60-80k a year avg line man makes about 150k just go on to sce.com look in career oppertunities have lots of service centers in your area.

25Elmn8r
07-25-2005, 06:43 PM
look into working for edison hiring like mad right now in the field constuction side if you don't have a fear of heights go in as a groundman the get an apprentice bid and you'll make big money when you top out as a lineman from hiring on to becoming a lineman takes about five years right now. groundman pay starts at 16.48 hr with lots of over time average groundman makes 60-80k a year avg line man makes about 150k just go on to sce.com look in career oppertunities have lots of service centers in your area.
No offense mex, but edison isn't what it used to be. And how much overtime does it take to make that kind of money? Too much to be worth it in my opinion.

Sleek-Jet
07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
No offense mex, but edison isn't what it used to be. And how much overtime does it take to make that kind of money? Too much to be worth it in my opinion.
Yeah, but if you can get your card, lineman can pretty much right their own ticket right now. Lineman at my company are making an easy 10.00/hr more than anyone else (and that's in AZ, a right to starve state), just for the fact that you can't hire one if needed.

Just Tool'n
07-25-2005, 07:18 PM
Are you intrested in sales?
Are you wanting to own your own business?
Are you disicplined (Being a marine I know you are)!
I work for Snap-on Tools, we are allways looking for good people.
If this sounds like something of intrest, PM I know the sales manager in Huntington Beach, I can give you his number for more info.

mexrunner
07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
in my yard a line man working 1 emergency callout a pay period normally equating to working around a single 24hr strait shift is making that money. if you really want to be a ***** we had a lineman make 256k last year. if you end up not likeing edison a journeyman card is reconized world wide contractors in iraq rebuilding right now make almost half a million a year tax free if you stay 18 mon. not saying its for every one but it works for me and i like the job.

UBFJ #454
07-25-2005, 07:44 PM
If you and your wife would consider moving up to the Everett, Washington Area and you want to pursue your A&P License I might, repeat Might, be able to put you on to something in commercial aircraft maintance.

meaniam
07-25-2005, 11:06 PM
hey everyone...well im a marine right now and will be finishing up my 5th year oct of 06..the cards dealt to me by the marines just arent in my favor anymore,need to put my family first now,im tired of putting the mrs and myself through all the stress and bs dealt to me. so i need to find some kind of job with chances of being able to move up..i will be located in huntington beach and the wife works as a hr person in orange, i dont want to relocate her so just thought i would see what you guys have to offer, ive been a mech for deisel eng,turbine,as well as aircraft for the last 5 years,i also have ran a section of about 15 people for 3 years. not only am i a mech but can work with my hands and can lead people to get jobs done..all im really looking for right now to start is about $2,600 $3,000 a month,and a chance to move up. thanks
steve
my email is steve_kean73@yahoo.com
hey my wife works for a bad ass company. that will train. pays good. concert tickets and anything to do with ducks stadium, if you are lucky and are in the right dept. awesome bonuses, i belive last year she recived 6500 in bonuses. and 1 week all expenses paid flight for me and her to camelback resort and spa. room 550 a night. i think they remove the hiring freeze in sept or oct. and it does wonders to have a inside refrence. they have everal offices in orange. my wife is lead in mortgage coolection for ameriquest mortagage. ill ask for her to pull for a service man. hit me up ill see hat she can do.
it does look like there maybe more money on this board. so you might want to check into those first.

Koz
07-25-2005, 11:36 PM
If your going to be living in HB, look into LA/LB Harbor. The port's still expanding and their always looking for good mechanics. Two unions IAM or ILWU both make great money with full benifits.

cola
07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
in my yard a line man working 1 emergency callout a pay period normally equating to working around a single 24hr strait shift is making that money. if you really want to be a ***** we had a lineman make 256k last year. if you end up not likeing edison a journeyman card is reconized world wide contractors in iraq rebuilding right now make almost half a million a year tax free if you stay 18 mon. not saying its for every one but it works for me and i like the job.
we had a lineman make 256k last year. Sounds like Don N. He's always in a truck.
Late, Mike

Southwest47
07-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Law Enforcement....most are ex-military

rivergoer
07-26-2005, 02:36 AM
i have been looking into law enforcement but i want to see some other options too, incase the law enforcment doesnt work out..looks like there are all sorts of screenings and bs to go through which im not affraid of not at all,but there is that big chance i wont get selected for somereason. so i just want some other options,and if there is somthing else out there that looks better, i can do that...i just want to get settled into something that will allow me to be able to make a carreer out of or atleast support my wife and future kids comfortably...that way the wife isnt bringing in all the dough..it wouldnt feel right to me. any way thanks for all the responses this is good stuff!!

Red Horse
07-26-2005, 04:53 AM
Might want to look into a GS position. Working for the federal gov after mil service is pretty good. Vet pref, time in service works for your retirement and the benifits are good. Plus the gov retirement system wont go broke. They will just print more!!! I can help you with your resume when I get there.

riverbound
07-26-2005, 04:57 AM
Male prostitution. You can make good $$ doing that :jawdrop:
I can hook you up with a pimp :smile:

rivergoer
07-26-2005, 05:25 AM
Might want to look into a GS position. Working for the federal gov after mil service is pretty good. Vet pref, time in service works for your retirement and the benifits are good. Plus the gov retirement system wont go broke. They will just print more!!! I can help you with your resume when I get there.
sweet dude that would be great..any help i can get ill take it.

rivergoer
07-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Male prostitution. You can make good $$ doing that :jawdrop:
I can hook you up with a pimp :smile:
oh bill would you be my pimp please???? but wait i have a customer already and she has me booked for the rest of my life so looks like that isnt an option..hey i think she is fu(king hott too.. :shift: :cool:

riverbound
07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
oh bill would you be my pimp please???? but wait i have a customer already and she has me booked for the rest of my life so looks like that isnt an option..hey i think she is fu(king hott too.. :shift: :cool:
:hammerhea

BoatPI
07-26-2005, 05:39 AM
I am not in the port workers business, but I have lived along the O.C Coast all of my life. I continually read about the port of LA and Long Beach. They are out of control and last weekend shifted to weekend and night loading. The job opportunities are endless, including AC repair for rfig boxes. In a few years you will make 100K without OT. Just a thought. To really survive here you need to have at least 100K in family income. As far as LE jobs, I read that LAPD is hiring 800 in the next 12 months and the Sheriffs 700. In NO WAY can they fill the jobs, not enough qualified applicants. Starting pay is about 50K, with Sergeants making 100K. If you plan on this, use the ED money for a degree in english or law.
The cost of living is high, but the place is alive not to mention the opportunities and weather.

rivergoer
07-26-2005, 05:40 AM
what no pimping me to my wife???? j/k well at least she will be out here next month...for a week...sweet.. :D