PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A Decision

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok, so here is my delima. New to jet boats, boats period. Grew up with the but never owned one. I recently bought a 78 BBC with berkley jet, droop snoop, and a ride plate. 454 BB with Wieand tunnel, dual carters and ols school S&S wet headers. Took it out for 20 minutes and had water in the oil. I was'nt sure of the problem so I took it back to Olympic boats where I bought it from. Paid $3600 after tax for the thing. The company has sat on the boat for three weeks and never changed the oil. It now has rust on the cam, lifters and possibly the cylinders. They only want to put new head gaskets on it and give it back to me. It's not the gaskets it's the plumbing on the boat.They will not agree that the rust got there from the boat sitting with water in the engine. The other option is to give me a 77 Spectre 18' jet. 455 olds berkley jet and TT exhaust. I have not seen the Spectre but am going today. My question to the group is........ What would you do? Please, guys and gals I need some advice. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dribble
07-30-2005, 03:56 PM
The boat you have sounds like a better boat. $3600.00 is cheap. Fix it yourself if you can't get them to fix it..

Redneck
07-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Ok, so here is my delima. New to jet boats, boats period. Grew up with the but never owned one. I recently bought a 78 BBC with berkley jet, droop snoop, and a ride plate. 454 BB with Wieand tunnel, dual carters and ols school S&S wet headers. Took it out for 20 minutes and had water in the oil. I was'nt sure of the problem so I took it back to Olympic boats where I bought it from. Paid $3600 after tax for the thing. The company has sat on the boat for three weeks and never changed the oil. It now has rust on the cam, lifters and possibly the cylinders. They only want to put new head gaskets on it and give it back to me. It's not the gaskets it's the plumbing on the boat.They will not agree that the rust got there from the boat sitting with water in the engine. The other option is to give me a 77 Spectre 18' jet. 455 olds berkley jet and TT exhaust. I have not seen the Spectre but am going today. My question to the group is........ What would you do? Please, guys and gals I need some advice. :confused: :confused: :confused:
buy my boat lol

crf311
07-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Or try and get your money back if they won't fix it to you satisifaction.

HOOTER SLED-
07-30-2005, 04:00 PM
BBC over Olds anyday. Coming from someone who has had both.

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
they are gonna give me the other one for the same price and no engine problems. can you get as much performance out of an olds as you can from a chevy? I will have pics of both later today.

sleekvino
07-30-2005, 04:17 PM
i'd stay away from the olds its nothing but trouble if you want anything besides bone stock.

HOOTER SLED-
07-30-2005, 04:19 PM
they are gonna give me the other one for the same price and no engine problems. can you get as much performance out of an olds as you can from a chevy? I will have pics of both later today.
Chevy gonna be more reliable and go the distance. Olds have oil problems. Went through about 3 blocks myself. The return galleys on the heads are big and the oil does not return fast enough. You'll need a restrictor kit to HELP overcome the problem. BBC parts are more available. And you can do just about anything to build them up. Keep in mind the type and condition of the hull as well. You're gonna have to balance everything out and weigh your options. Berkeley before Jacuzzi too.
Better yet, oil stays up top in them Olds.

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 04:20 PM
here is the boat I currently have. It is in this posthttp://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86531&highlight=puzzled

SummitKarl
07-30-2005, 04:23 PM
we talked earlier, that boat you bought is SWEET!!!!!!!!! and you got it really for $5k less than you should have.
surface rust won't hurt, it will go away real fast, it's only been a week so it's should be just mineral deposit's right now, I know you know cars so you got the knowledge, fix the plumbing, run the hell out of the boat and no matter what even if you blow that motor up the hull and pump are worth as much if not more than what you paid, post the pic's so others know what I mean. for your first boat you made one hell of a good buy.
someone on the board is bound to live near you, and boaters ALWAYS WORK FOR BEER and help each other.

HOOTER SLED-
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
No worky. You should post this over at Just Jets too. You might get better responses as well. There is nothing but post whores over here who like meaningless threads. :D

atxwrangler
07-30-2005, 05:48 PM
definately stay away from the olds, keep the boat you have. i wouldn't have another olds if you gave it to me.change the oil and run the boat. :skull:

piper
07-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Stay with the BBC!!! No OLDS!!!

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Just got back from seeing the other boat. These guys are f'n idiots. They have on their website that the boat has a 455 olds. I get ther and it's a 460 ford motor. It has a brand new edelbrock performer 460 intake with a single 4 barrel carb. I could'nt tell what type of carb. It's a Berkley JE pump with a ride plate, a diverter and trim plates on either side. It does not have a gas peddal, just throttle with the forward and reverse. It seems to have a neutral button you pull out to pump the gas without moving the pump. What do y'all think of it with a ford instead of a olds? I am thinking....... this boat with $2500 in my pocket or the other boat when all is said and done @ $6000 just to run right. Or $500 back from the company and I spend it on getting the plumbing to work right and run the piss out of the thing for the rest of the summer and hope it does not break. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

SummitKarl
07-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Just got back from seeing the other boat. These guys are f'n idiots. They have on their website that the boat has a 455 olds. I get ther and it's a 460 ford motor. It has a brand new edelbrock performer 460 intake with a single 4 barrel carb. I could'nt tell what type of carb. It's a Berkley JE pump with a ride plate, a diverter and trim plates on either side. It does not have a gas peddal, just throttle with the forward and reverse. It seems to have a neutral button you pull out to pump the gas without moving the pump. What do y'all think of it with a ford instead of a olds? I am thinking....... this boat with $2500 in my pocket or the other boat when all is said and done @ $6000 just to run right. Or $500 back from the company and I spend it on getting the plumbing to work right and run the piss out of the thing for the rest of the summer and hope it does not break. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
oh boy now you got yourself in a pickle don't you!!!!!
now I have to change my mind!!!! BBF all the way!!!!!!!!!!! go with what you know!!!!, I will make you a deal, you buy the BBF boat, make a trip to Havasu, and in a matter of hours, I will make sure you have a turn key boat for years to come, I have close to 30yrs of building Fords, and my BBF is just about to click 5k hours in 30 yrs, and it's NEVER!!!!!!!!!broke or been towed in.
it starts with a bump of the key even after sitting all winter
Karl

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 11:48 PM
here are the pics of the boat I currently have (when it's together)
http://www.hostimage.net/images/78gt/boat1.jpg
http://www.hostimage.net/images/78gt/boat2.jpg
http://www.hostimage.net/images/78gt/boat3.jpg

Throttle
07-30-2005, 11:52 PM
is that the sales guy reminding you that you are number one?

Miss Perfect
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
is that the sales guy reminding you that you are number one?
haha! funny... I didn't even notice that! :D

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
here is the other boat they want to give me
http://www.hostimage.net/images/78gt/77spectre.jpg
what do you think??????

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 11:56 PM
that's funny. My thoughts exactly except her is a co-worker. I feel as though these guys are doing that to me behind my back.

'78 gt boat
07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
I mean he not her :D

Miss Perfect
07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
No worky. You should post this over at Just Jets too. You might get better responses as well. There is nothing but post whores over here who like meaningless threads. :D
Hey I resemble that remark!
No really, don't get the olds. Not only do they have problems, when you do have problems the parts are WAY more expensive and harder to come by!

Throttle
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
I do not know about either one, so no advice on this one bro... just ask them to do the right thing. let em know you will come back if they take care of you. I dunno???

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:16 AM
they basically told me to grab my anckles and take it deep. bought it as is no warranty. At least they are giving me an option

NorCal Gameshow
07-31-2005, 12:17 AM
how much do they want for the spectra?

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
it's a 77 and they are asking $5995. That's the price on the boat anyways.

Throttle
07-31-2005, 12:21 AM
they basically told me to grab my anckles and take it deep. bought it as is no warranty. At least they are giving me an option
ouch!

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:25 AM
seems price is a little high yet i would get it for the price I paid for the other which was $3500 cause of the issue at hand. Havin a hard time deciding

NorCal Gameshow
07-31-2005, 12:28 AM
it's a 77 and they are asking $5995. That's the price on the boat anyways.
ouch, the 77 didn't have full length stringers, just a box for engine.
i had a '72 with the same blue and white. ls6 454.
it's a heavy layup boat, well made...

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:34 AM
i'm new to this. what are full length stringers?

Miss Perfect
07-31-2005, 12:37 AM
It means the stringers go from the back of the boat to the front of the boat. Otherwise the stringers are only in the motor compartment.

NorCal Gameshow
07-31-2005, 12:39 AM
usually,glassed in 2x6 lumber that goes from the transom to the bow. gives the hull strength. (a lot of jets don't have them)
the gt will be faster than the spectra with the same HP...
the spectra will have a better ride

Miss Perfect
07-31-2005, 12:40 AM
usually,glassed in 2x6 lumber that goes from the transom to the bow. gives the hull strength. (a lot of jets don't have them)
the gt will be faster than the spectra with the same HP...
the spectra will have a better ride
Well that was a much better answer then mine!

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
spectra has a lot more room. gt only has stringers from the front seats back. It's a lighter boat and you sit a lot higher in it. the only time I took the gt out it ran about 75+I think....... the speedo only goes to 60 and it was pegged big time

NorCal Gameshow
07-31-2005, 12:50 AM
spectra has a lot more room. gt only has stringers from the front seats back. It's a lighter boat and you sit a lot higher in it. the only time I took the gt out it ran about 75+I think....... the speedo only goes to 60 and it was pegged big time
gps or radar is the only way to know for sure. the spectra should be around 55-60mph depending on the HP and condition of the pump

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 12:54 AM
gotcha on that one. So much to think about.

simple
07-31-2005, 06:24 AM
It looks as though you've done your info gathering & boat education after your purchase. ....Oh well, we all do that!
A suggestion is to survey the interior & gell coat. These are the most expensive repairs. If both of those are in good shape, the engine & jet are EZ to get running & much less expensive to repair.
My .02:
All of the top custom boat builders (Hallett, Eliminator, Advantage, Cole, etc...) used 460 fords in their hulls. The 455 Olds dropped valves.

BiggusJimbus
07-31-2005, 06:47 AM
Where is that Spectra located? Might be worth a look if it can be well bought.

Dribble
07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
You stold the one you have. Fix the engine and keep it. My .02

'78 gt boat
07-31-2005, 08:52 AM
you can kina see from the pics of the black boat there seems to be a repair of the gel right under where the reg is. notice the discoloration of the paint. The Spectre seems to have the origional paint except it has had the blue painted directly over the origional pea green paint from the 70's thus the woodgrain on the front by the windscreen. Interiors on both are new. Spectre has two captains and one forward facing bench and the gt has one captain and sort of a love seat in the front and a rear facing bench in the back.

Tom Brown
07-31-2005, 10:44 AM
surface rust won't hurt, it will go away real fast, it's only been a week...
I'll second this. I tiny amount of surface rust is no big deal.
You stold the one you have. Fix the engine and keep it. My .02
I'll second this too.
When you buy a used hot rod that started it's life in the 70s, you can expect to do a little wrenching.
Good luck GT, and welcome to ***boat. :cool:

ratso
07-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I'll second this. I tiny amount of surface rust is no big deal.
I'll second this too.
When you buy a used hot rod that started it's life in the 70s, you can expect to do a little wrenching.
Good luck GT, and welcome to ***boat. :cool:
...unless it happens to say GLASTRON on the side...

Tom Brown
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
...unless it happens to say GLASTRON on the side...
Right. In this case, you can expect to work on it for several years and spend as much as a new custom boat restoring it. At least you end up with a nice looking boat that is easily worth hundreds.

HCS
07-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Right. In this case, you can expect to work on it for several years and spend as much as a new custom boat restoring it. At least you end up with a nice looking boat that is easily worth hundreds.
You mean you would have thousands dumped into a boat that's worth hundreds. :idea:

38cig
07-31-2005, 11:42 AM
F them, we'll find you a better deal and a better boat, just ask around. lots of love here and we all hate to get F^%ked

HCS
07-31-2005, 12:48 PM
F them, we'll find you a better deal and a better boat, just ask around. lots of love here and we all hate to get F^%ked
Unless it's by your avatar.

rerfert
07-31-2005, 03:23 PM
These are TWO different type boats....You have to think about what you want in a boat??
(Most B-O-A-T's if you keep them long enough....are $$$ Break Out Another Thousand boats)
You need to think about what you want in a boat...Hot Rod boat or more of a Cruiser boat.
For the money that you are in the first boat for...I would say not a real bad deal (Looks like a nice boat)...Spend the money (fix it yourself and save some coin$)
As for the "AS IS Where is" Did you sign on the dotted line?
Probably??
Like all of us (ME included) Pay your dime take your chances....
Nuff said...Fix your boat and get to the water.
Here is the latest jet I bought ($800) with screwed up paper.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_009.sized.jpg
$250 into the trailer and $400 more into the motor(to replace what was stolen from the Previous Owner)
I am doing all the work myself and should have a fairly nice boat for a little coin.

SummitKarl
07-31-2005, 07:18 PM
78, go with #2
come on say it with me
why do I feel like in need Mrs Racers Avaitar right now? :wink:
"oh mighty BBF"
#2 says PLEASE TAKE ME HOME I WILL BE REAL GOOD TO YOU!!!!!!
$6k is going rate for 30yr old GOOD condition jet boat
I gota go with more seating and taller hull, your back will thank you for choosing #2