PDA

View Full Version : Certified Open Water Diver...

Sherpa
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
completed my course and Dive(s) required. It is a blast........ I have to say
that diving in Monterey is awesome........... I never would have thought you
could actually swim in the kelp....... it's cool........ suggest diving to anyone
who is inclined to go under the water, instead of just on top of it.......
now onto advanced open water diver, then possibly reach master scuba diver
this next year.....
--Sherpa

I Feel the Need...
08-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Congrats... I've been certified for 11 years, it's great. I also do alot of freediving. I went to Catalina on Sat. freediving and dove the kelp. I'ts really tranquil.

Sherpa
08-02-2005, 08:09 AM
I keep hearing about how catalina is THE place to lobster dive..... so, tell a
northerner, is it the place, what does a guy need to bring, etc....
thanks!
--Sherpa

Slib77
08-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Congrats on getting certified. Monterey is a nice dive. Try the other side of Lovers Point. Huge spider crabs.
Going to Catalina next week, I can't wait it's been over a year since I dove last.

Froggystyle
08-02-2005, 08:45 AM
I keep hearing about how catalina is THE place to lobster dive..... so, tell a
northerner, is it the place, what does a guy need to bring, etc....
thanks!
--Sherpa
Langosta actually... (California lobster variety)
Catalina is great. I have HEARD that San Clemente Island has some lobster out there too. ;) You just can't get them because it is a military reservation...
Net, lobster gauge, flashlight and fishing liscense. Maybe we will take a trip out there with you. I have always wanted to dive for fun out there. I was always working whenever I went under the water. If you want to dive San Diego, I would be happy to take you out.
Beware of the man in the grey suit though. He is out there... everywhere.

One Particular Harbor
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Congratulations on your certification!
The diving in Catalina is very good, with much better conditions than SoCal shore diving (typically, visibility runs in the 60' to 100' range). You can find good lobster diving in Catalina, but some of the other channel islands are preferred.
San Clemente has good bug hunting, especially on the back side. San Nicholas is my personal favorite, but it tends to be a bit more of an advanced dive due to currents and some exposed conditions. Best to get a few good dives under your belt first.
BTW, we usually lobster dive at night, so getting used to night diving is also a good way to prepare for lobster diving. Getting used to diving with a light, handling game bags, and bug hunting all at once can be a bit overwhelming.
Good luck and enjoy the diving.
OPH

KACHINA KEN
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Langosta actually... (California lobster variety)
Catalina is great. I have HEARD that San Clemente Island has some lobster out there too. ;) You just can't get them because it is a military reservation...
Net, lobster gauge, flashlight and fishing liscense. Maybe we will take a trip out there with you. I have always wanted to dive for fun out there. I was always working whenever I went under the water. If you want to dive San Diego, I would be happy to take you out.
Beware of the man in the grey suit though. He is out there... everywhere.
In Oct we need to get with one of HDD's charter buddies and get at it.

KACHINA KEN
08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
BTW I just got my hard card on Friday, stoked.

Sherpa
08-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies........... I had a great time... this was something I had always wanted to do, just never really thought strongly
about signing up and doing it....... glad I did. Thanks Wes for the invite.
I'd like to go dive SD sometime.... I need to get a wet suit ASAP... I've
looked at Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm shortjon/bib combo..... I like it
since it is soooo stretchy.. but a Monterey-local wet suit shop is recommending their custom-made suit services... the henderson is $460,
and the hood is $60...
Otter Bay's custom suit is like $570 including hood..... any recomendations?
--thanks again!
--Scott

Tom Slick
08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm all signed up to start my certification courses next week. I'm really pumped, as I've always wanted to dive. Already have a trip planned to dive in Cabo in mid October. Should be lots of fun.

Tom Slick
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
PS - Congrats Sherpa on your certification. :D

77charger
08-02-2005, 03:47 PM
been doing it myself for about 6 years.I did alot the first year over 60 dives.First dive after certified was a night dive.Now i dont get to go out as much unless it is lobster season.A fast hand and good light is needed as well as underwater organization.I ended up going with an HID light for underwater it is very bright but for some reason hasnt scared the lobsters as much as my standard light.
The kelp is way fun though did that on my training dives at catalina (first tank dive)

Froggystyle
08-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies........... I had a great time... this was something I had always wanted to do, just never really thought strongly
about signing up and doing it....... glad I did. Thanks Wes for the invite.
I'd like to go dive SD sometime.... I need to get a wet suit ASAP... I've
looked at Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm shortjon/bib combo..... I like it
since it is soooo stretchy.. but a Monterey-local wet suit shop is recommending their custom-made suit services... the henderson is $460,
and the hood is $60...
Otter Bay's custom suit is like $570 including hood..... any recomendations?
--thanks again!
--Scott
7mil??? The thickest wetsuit I have ever dove was a 5mil, and that was for some freezing shit.
I personally like layers. I like a 3/5 for diving, with a 1/2 spring under it for anything really, really cold or if I am not going to be swimming much. For moderately cold (50 degrees and up) I use a bib 5 mil hood with a 3/5.
A lot of rubber can really suck balls. You will have problems with buoyancy and compensation and maneuvering sucks too. The better move is to run layers of rubber, keep a good log of weights per layer and go from there.
I always recommend custom. My favorite suit right now is Xcel titanium. You can use a thinner suit with the Ti liner.