PDA

View Full Version : Another sad day for a family pet

PHX ATC
08-03-2005, 08:04 AM
After 15 years of enlightening my life with her presence, I must let my cat, Shelby, go peacefully and with dignity.
We found her scampering along the side of a city road, barely with her eyes open, panting, hissing, and matted up with dirt. She would fit into one of my hands. After a quick bath, she climbed up underneath my 1968 Mustang, followed the driveshaft up to the bellhousing and promptly camped out between the bellhousing and firewall. Of course, muttering obscenities, I had to drop the tranny, pull the engine (I was working on installing a new one), and get dirty to get her out. She had me at hello.
She's been with me longer than I've been married. I've taken her on planes, and every single automobile we've ever owned. No boats, but hey, maybe next time, she'll like it!
I hate making this decision and am pretty torn up about it. Actually, tough guy is a big mess today and has been all weekend since I made that decision.
Thank you Shelby for gracing me with your calming presence, your licks, your purring sessions, our play romps and chases, being there every single day by the shower to make sure you got some treats when I got out, and listening to me without fail.
:)
I'm off to the vet. YUCK.
:( :squiggle: :(

PHX ATC
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Shelby.
Named after Carrol Shelby, the Ford wizard.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/228Stuff_068-med.jpg
I will miss you.

dicudmore
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
bummer guys :(

Miss Perfect
08-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear about Shelby :frown:

Jordy
08-03-2005, 08:13 AM
I don't even like cats and that bummed me out Toby. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Mrs.charitycase
08-03-2005, 08:17 AM
That is the saddest thing! My cat is my pride and joy too. Good luck. It is unfortunetly the thing to do.

CandyA$$
08-03-2005, 08:31 AM
I know, same here, :( :squiggle:

barbigrl
08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
That sucks..... :frown: my kitty is getting up there too....I don't even want to think about the day when we have to part.....I feel for ya. :frown:

Steamin' Rice
08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
I was thinking the same thing. :(

Rexone
08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
:frown: :frown: Sorry. They just don't live long enough.

HCS
08-03-2005, 08:45 AM
I had to put my dog down after 15 years. It's a bummer. :chi:

Hal
08-03-2005, 08:54 AM
email I received this morning.
Subject: From the Mouth's of Children
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish
Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their
little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for
a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there
were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia
procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good
for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane could
learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family
surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last
time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few
minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty
or confusion.
We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the
sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me.
I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.
He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life
-- like loving everybody and being nice , right?"
The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so
they don't have to stay as long."
AMEN

KACHINA KEN
08-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Sorry about that Toby, are the kids allright ?

IN2-IN2MX
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Oh, I am so sorry. :(

Tremor Therapy
08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Toby,
I feel for you and I am bummed for you as well. I know the pain you feel, and this past June had to go through the exact same story with my 17 year old Border Collie. Give the girls a hug for me, and tell them I am thinking of them.
Alan

hot_diggity_dog
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Shelby.
Named after Carrol Shelby, the Ford wizard.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/228Stuff_068-med.jpg
I will miss you.
Toby I feel for you Bro! :wink:
My wife and I have been together for almost 25 years and we are childless. :mad:
Our two dogs are our kids :argue: and we are not looking forward to the day. :crossx:
best of luck. :wink:
HDD :)

carreraelite
08-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm Sorry to Hear This Toby. I've had to do the same thing way too many times, but I still seem to collect animals around the house. Give Julie and Shea a good hug from us.

PHX ATC
08-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys and girls. :)
That really sucked. I haven't been that kicked in the guts since, I don't know when.....maybe when I was a raging hormonal express train in high school and some chick dumped me........my tummy literally hurts.
Our vet is super way awesome crazy cool and has the bedside manner of what I would imagine Jesus to have. The guy is good, smooth, and very concerned. It went well, she went in peace, with dignity, and without pain. The last thing she saw was me (I don't know if that's good or not :D ) and I had this freakish thing about being the last one to touch her as we left, weird, but, I figured I rescued her out of a prickly pear cactus (after running down Lindsay Road in Mesa way back in the day), so I had the honor of giving her fur the last pet.
Tough guy here has gone through a few tissues today and I didn't realize my nose was so full of instant-on-command snot. I think I'll be a weenie and use a few more tissues over the next couple of days. :cry:
My wife and daughter were there and handled it much better than me. I was the big baby.
Despite the fact I think I rescued her and she was lucky, I do believe I am the lucky one and she rescued me.
Thanks again for the care and concern. That's cool. :) :)

Craig
08-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry about your loss :frown: I had two Shelties, a Mom, PD and son, Spike. PD was 15 when we had to put her to sleep because of cancer. Then to make it even harder, Spike, who was 14, died 4 days later. At least that was here at the house.
Craig

BigBlockBaja
08-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing. :(
That was a very touching post.. I hope you the best.

bunny 166
08-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I am so sorry....you obviously loved your Shelby alot....you did the right thing.
Hang in there... :wink:

vdrivenman
08-04-2005, 03:07 AM
His creatures are gifts and they offer the same thing he does
"UNCONDITIONAL LOVE " ain't it great ! sorry your friend has moved on,but you will see her again !