PDA

View Full Version : Buying boats from Brokers....

Bryan Rose
08-03-2005, 01:33 PM
I have a couple of ?'s on this matter... I have found a good boat that I am interested in buying. I have been to look at it ....liked it but it was dirty and such. I told the broker get it cleaned up and ready for the water , it was nasty dirty. Any way I am going back on thursday to look and water test the boat. Here is my ?, The boat was just reduced from $42,000.00 to $37,000.00 and this is what got me to look at the boat. I had been watching it for about 3 months and when the price dropped that is when I made contact. If all checks out on thursday I am going to make an offer....how much less should I be offering on the reduced price here...any rule of thumb for percentage down to offer? I have never had to buy from a broker before and am not familier with the drill. I was thinking of offering 10 percent less......or more .... and go from there, it is getting late in the season to sell I am thinking.
Any advice for dealing with brokers.............wish I could find the true seller!
Bryan

burtandnancy
08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
There are probably no hard rules here, but I just sold a boat last week, thru a broker, and here's how it went. He asked my very bottom dollar (it was 65k) so he put it out for 72k. He got an offer, asked me if I'd come down 1 and he came down 2, and the deal was done. Happy buyer, happy seller. Every deal stands on its own, but your are correct about 1 thing, the season is half over in some parts of the country. Maybe the seller (not the broker) is starting to feel the pinch. Give the 10% a try, you can always negotiate to a mid point. Since you point out the boat is really dirty though, I would be real careful during the sea trials. If you are not too experienced in boats, try and find someone who is. Hidden repairs can be expensive.

Bryan Rose
08-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Very good with boats and motors....MY dad is a surveyer in FLa .... to far away.... I have a check off list and the boat will go to a Merc Dealer for a check of the ECM ....

Bryan Rose
08-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Any other Advice .... Also this boat has no trailer.... I will hgave to buy one. Does this add to the pain in the as factor? thus a reduction in price? and leverage?
Bryan

TCHB
08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I bought a new Bennington Tri Toon from the Boat Brokers and they have been more than fair with me. I shopped around on the internet and met the price and have fixed my bimini quick.
1. The used boat is your responsiblity to do get it checked out.
2. I would take the boat to Savage, Absolute, or other boat people for a third part look. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars but it will be worth it to have someone else look at it.

burtandnancy
08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Thats another glitch, having to find a used trailer or buy a new one and have it bunked for your boat. Don't know what you get for prox $40k, but a trailer is going to add another few grand.

Bryan Rose
08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Thats another glitch, having to find a used trailer or buy a new one and have it bunked for your boat. Don't know what you get for prox $40k, but a trailer is going to add another few grand.
97 Donzi 27 ZX with a 500 EFI blue motor and.................................
Nice I beam Aluminun Trailer Bunked for this boat by the company that builds trailers for Donzi , with Tandem torsion Axles and disc brakes, cypress bunks and bow boards for $3,430.00 picked up in Jaxsonville.... I am hoping to be in this ride complet at $38,000.00
Hope I can pull it off....not going to spend any more......unless I make the deal then this winter a procharger and hydraulic steering.
Bryan

Bryan Rose
08-05-2005, 04:12 PM
Any how As you all know I have been looking at this thing....well they had lowered the price on line and that got my attention , well in the mean time they put the price back to original after I showed some interest and act like it was never $5000 less
Original $ 42000
lowered $ 37000
now someone shows interest $ 42000 some people
Making this Offer $35000 and feeling good about it................priceless.
we shall see.
Bryan

termiteguy
08-05-2005, 04:21 PM
keep us posted good luck and if the seller is hungry he will take it. :hammer2:

Bryan Rose
08-05-2005, 04:24 PM
keep us posted good luck and if the seller is hungry he will take it. :hammer2:
Hope so the boat has been dry sinced last winter.....NIce ride.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC03036.JPG

meaniam
08-05-2005, 05:45 PM
nice looking boat for 35 to 40 k

ECeptor
08-05-2005, 05:55 PM
97 Donzi 27 ZX with a 500 EFI blue motor
from nada.com
Boats and Personal Watercraft
1997 DONZI MARINE INC
DONZI MARINE INC
Stern Drive Power Boat
27 ZX
August 4, 2005 print this page
Low Retail Average Retail
$24,000 $28,900
Reported Engine Range: 471 - 500 HP (8.1L )
Total adjustment for your engine(s) - Add: $8,600
TOTAL PRICE $32,600 $37,500
I believe the nada prices assume a trailer is included. So use this info to further negotiate. Use the fact that it was filthy to push toward the low range of retail.
BTW, awesome looking boat...I'd be damn happy to have it as my own!