PDA

View Full Version : Dual Residency Question

Her454
08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Anyone know the laws regarding auto/boat registration if you own a home in two different states...... how do you get around paying the high cost of DMV fees in California if that is the situation?

Jbb
08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Anyone know the laws regarding auto/boat registration if you own a home in two different states...... how do you get around paying the high cost of DMV fees in California if that is the situation?
Move to Atlanta......sweat with me .... :D

ECeptor
08-05-2005, 08:01 AM
I live in Wichita, KS but register my boat in Ponca City, OK. Much, much cheaper. Boat has an OK title with my KS address on it. I boat more than 30 days a year in OK (wink, wink) which makes it legal. OK tag office didn't ask a single question when I registered it.
I know many KS resident who have OK or MO registered boats.

Caribbean Jet
08-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I was just going to pose this question to. So if you own property in one state but live in another theres no way around that? That sucks

Krumbsnatcher
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
The law states that you must register you boat on the waterways where you boat 50% of the time. Now your trailer has to be registered to CA if you ever plan on trailering it back to CA. That is how I have my setup on both the pontoon and the magic.
If you do not have a CA registered trailer you can not legally tow your trailer in ca unless you go to the DMV and get a temporary towing permit.
Without the proper trailer registration they can tow and impound your trailer, it just so happens your boat is on the trailer.
I know i had my trailer impounded just off the 10 past chiriaco summit. Mine was for outdated trailer registration on CA, however, I asked questions and that is why my new setup is a COMBO with Fries Deal.

topless
08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
The law states that you must register you boat on the waterways where you boat 50% of the time. Now your trailer has to be registered to CA if you ever plan on trailering it back to CA. That is how I have my setup on both the pontoon and the magic.
If you do not have a CA registered trailer you can not legally tow your trailer in ca unless you go to the DMV and get a temporary towing permit.
Without the proper trailer registration they can tow and impound your trailer, it just so happens your boat is on the trailer.
I know i had my trailer impounded just off the 10 past chiriaco summit. Mine was for outdated trailer registration on CA, however, I asked questions and that is why my new setup is a COMBO with Fries Deal.So if you tow your boat THROUGH California you have to go out of your way, find a DMV, wait for 3 hours to get a temp towing permit or get a ticket? I don't buy that. Our trailer had AZ tags and never ever once did we get stopped.

Huckleberry
08-05-2005, 09:00 AM
So if you tow your boat THROUGH California you have to go out of your way, find a DMV, wait for 3 hours to get a temp towing permit or get a ticket? I don't buy that. Our trailer had AZ tags and never ever once did we get stopped.
You were lucky. CA law states that if you live in CA, ALL vehicles MUST be reigstered to you in CA, trailers included. They determine residency by where your live, work, pay income taxes, have your drivers license... Federal and CA laws state that you must register a vessel in the stae of primary use, i.e. where you use it 51% of the time.
So, what Krumbsnatcher said is correct. Register your boat in AZ if that's where you use it, and your trailer in CA if that's where you live. It's not such a big deal anymore since CA went to the PTI registration on trailers. It's very cheap. Much cheaper than having yor boat and trailer IMPOUNDED for back registration fees. You will be forced to pay back registration fees for AT LEAST the last year, if not back to the time when they can determine you have been out of compliance with the law. It's not the back registration fees that'll kill you, it's the penalties that are outragous!

mbrown2
08-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Funny,
But I was in a CA DMV last year, trying to get a trailer registered, and the trailer was with me. They thought from the sales paperwork when it was delivered it was registered in AZ, so the wanted me to have a AZ Dmv to run a vin search....Vin Search showed nothing, so I went back to CA Dmv to finish the registration...they said the need to see it; It was now back in AZ and I told them its in AZ; and they had seen it that is why they had me do a vin search.....they told me they cannot register it without seeing it. I told them I was kind of tired of the run around and can I just register it in AZ; they said sure....I asked what about bringing it back to CA for service; they said just get a AZ ID card; since you have two residences...
F it, I am registering trailers in AZ from now on, getting the AZ ID card and going to risk it when I have to take the boat to DCB or something..

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Move. There's no such thing as dual residency. You have a primary residence. I think you're thinking of dual citizenship.
I was told by the California DMV there was such a thing as "dual residency". She said you had to reside in one of the states for a certain period of time and I could look it up on the internet to research the qualifications/restrictions but I cant access their site today and I was just curious how many did this and I was actually more concerned about the legality of a vehicle (truck and trailer).

HocusPocus
08-05-2005, 09:03 AM
i have a house in AZ along with a AZ drivers license. i also have a house in california. one of my vehicles was registered in AZ, i drove it into CA to use temporarly while another vehicle was being worked on and i ended up with a letter from the CHP telling me i had 15 days in which to register the vehicle in CA or face the penelities.. which includes fines and possible jail time. they don't even have to pull you over anymore.... just turn in the plate number. seems they have a whole department set up just to nap out of state registrations and there is not loop hole. basically if you do this they already consider you guilty of a crime. i also discovered that by having an out of state license that i am considered an "unlicensed" driver by the state of california and if im to drive in Ca legally i need to get a CA license. the house we have in CA and the vehicles we have here are registered in my wifes name... the house in AZ along with any vehicle we use there are registered in my name.
talk about confusing... i still don't get it.. and i went thru it.
:hammerhea

mbrown2
08-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I was told by the California DMV there was such a thing as "dual residency".
CA DMV told me the same thing...

HocusPocus
08-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I was told by the California DMV there was such a thing as "dual residency". She said you had to reside in one of the states for a certain period of time and I could look it up on the internet to research the qualifications/restrictions but I cant access their site today and I was just curious how many did this.
yes.. according to the CA dmv you need to get a AZ set of plates and Ca set of plates.. then switch them when going back and forth. thats what i was told just a few months ago.

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:06 AM
You were lucky. CA law states that if you live in CA, ALL vehicles MUST be reigstered to you in CA, trailers included. They determine residency by where your live, work, pay income taxes, have your drivers license... Federal and CA laws state that you must register a vessel in the stae of primary use, i.e. where you use it 51% of the time.
So, what Krumbsnatcher said is correct. Register your boat in AZ if that's where you use it, and your trailer in CA if that's where you live.
Damn DMV. That pretty much answered my question. Thanks Huckleberry.

SummitKarl
08-05-2005, 09:07 AM
well I know for sure Taxifornia, is glad to mail your Ca reg to a AZ addy. but now worky the other way. and LEO don't like mismatch of state of LIC plates and State of drivers lic.
wanta get busted drive your Ca reg, truck towing your AZ reg boat down rice road.......... it's worse than speeding to CHP
I forgot to add if you send Ca reg to AZ ADDY. they don't collect "your" counties taxes and your Reg. will drop in price

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 09:15 AM
So many urban legends...........

bchbum
08-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Had my boat reg 1 year in CA , switched to AZ non res .Paid it off & still got a CA pink slip for it . Is this right ?

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:17 AM
So many urban legends...........
Please inform me Oh so Wise one.... :mix: :)

Kilrtoy
This should answer any questions
516. "Resident" means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
(a) Address where registered to vote.
(b) Location of employment or place of business.
(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
(e) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.
(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
(h) Possession of a California driver's license.
(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

OGShocker
Move to Atlanta......sweat with me .... :D
I don't think she could get over you "clowning" around... :notam:

Kilrtoy
Please inform me Oh so Wise one.... :mix: :)
I just did look up.....

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I just did look up.....
I did, thanks. We posted at the same time...................

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't think she could get over you "clowning" around... :notam:
I couldnt get over the "sweat". YUCK. I was there a few times in mid summer....I thought AZ was bad........I'd rather have the heat than the heat and that nasty humidity.

Jbb
08-05-2005, 09:23 AM
I couldnt get over the "sweat". YUCK. I was there a few times in mid summer....I thought AZ was bad........I'd rather have the heat than the heat and that nasty humidity.
Indoor sports...in the A/C.....!!!!!! :D

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
i erased most of the section but the last paragraph SUMS it up and makes it crystal clear
4000. (1) No person shall drive, move, or leave standing upon a highway, or in an offstreet public parking facility, any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole or pipe dolly, or logging dolly, unless it is registered and the appropriate fees have been paid under this code or registered under the permanent trailer identification program, except that an off-highway motor vehicle which displays an identification plate or device issued by the department pursuant to Section 38010 may be driven, moved, or left standing in an offstreet public parking facility without being registered or paying registration fees.
(g) For purposes of this section, possession of a California driver's license by the registered owner of a vehicle shall give rise to a rebuttable presumption that the owner is a resident of California.

Flyinbowtie
08-05-2005, 09:26 AM
T;
Check your pm's...

Holland
08-05-2005, 09:26 AM
My primary is Ca. but i reg the boat in Az, the boat trailer is Ca. no ca ASSessment fees... :yuk: no probs. You can even put the boat non resident in AZ... they will take your money and not have the boat in their state!!!!
Haven't had a prob yet.

Jordy
08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey Mullett Moutain Queen,
How could you possibly think you were a resident of anywhere but Cali when I can't even get you to come to Phoenix for a drink???? You're so Cali-fied it's not even funny. :D :D :D
Sincerely,
Jordy ;)

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey Mullett Moutain Queen,
How could you possibly think you were a resident of anywhere but Cali when I can't even get you to come to Phoenix for a drink???? You're so Cali-fied it's not even funny. :D :D :D
Sincerely,
Jordy ;)
ROTFLMAO! Love ya Jordy. ;)
T;
Check your pm's...
Got it, thanks Jeff. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I'm beginning to hate California and all its damn taxes.

Jordy
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm beginning to hate California and all its damn taxes.
You know, when you retire you could always buy a place out here in Sun City, get a big hat and some Jackie O sunglasses, get a golf cart with a golf bag holder (for the broom of course) and torment the older folks all day. :D :D :D
It would be right up your alley as much like the Mountain, they roll up the streets about 7:30 every night. :D :D :D

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:40 AM
You know, when you retire you could always buy a place out here in Sun City, get a big hat and some Jackie O sunglasses, get a golf cart with a golf bag holder (for the broom of course) and torment the older folks all day. :D :D :D
It would be right up your alley as much like the Mountain, they roll up the streets about 7:30 every night. :D :D :D
Only if I could nitrous on my Cart. :rollside:

Jordy
08-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Only if I could nitrous on my Cart. :rollside:
That and spinners... :D :D :D

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
That and spinners... :D :D :D
And my shotgun rack of course. :D

Jordy
08-05-2005, 09:53 AM
And my shotgun rack of course. :D
And the big cooler for Jello of course. And some curb feelers and a tassley fringe around the top and some fuzzy dice on the mirror. Pimp my golf cart. :D :D :D

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
And the big cooler for Jello of course. And some curb feelers and a tassley fringe around the top and some fuzzy dice on the mirror. Pimp my golf cart. :D :D :D
Exactly. Sounds like you want to ride wif me babe. :D

Jordy
08-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Exactly. Sounds like you want to ride wif me babe. :D
Only if you have a tweeter beater Sparkomatic system with locking fast forward. ;) :D

Her454
08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Only if you have a tweeter beater Sparkomatic system with locking fast forward. ;) :D
Anything for you.

Jordy
08-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Anything for you.
Yeah yeah, that's what they all say. You sure you can hang out with someone who has outboards??? I'm thinking that might ruin your image up on the Mountain. :D :D :D

Her454
08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah yeah, that's what they all say. You sure you can hang out with someone who has outboards??? I'm thinking that might ruin your image up on the Mountain. :D :D :D
LOL, nawwwwwwwwww, we have lots of them outboard thingy's up here on the mountain. The old men like to troll in them. ;)

Jordy
08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
The old men like to troll in them. ;)
That's funny, because that's what I do with mine down here too... :idea: :D