PDA

View Full Version : Luxury tax!!!

syke-o
08-05-2005, 09:24 AM
I have a ca. luxury tax bill due next month for over $300 and was wondering if anyone knows if i can just register the boat in az before the payment is due and be ok...
and the second part of the question would be, what is the cost and how hard is it to switch over to az reg on the boat??
thanks
aaron

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Read the statement, it gives you the dates that the fees are due from......you may already be past the date and the fees will be due

Holland
08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Read the statement, it gives you the dates that the fees are due from......you may already be past the date and the fees will be due
yup... too late. If you have the boat reg'd in Ca for ONE DAY in the assesment period... write a check. they do NOT prorate. ALso, if you dont pay... they WILL LEIN YOUR HOUSE!!!!! Happened to a buddy... It is easy to re reg in AZ.

azgfboatgirl
08-05-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a ca. luxury tax bill due next month for over $300 and was wondering if anyone knows if i can just register the boat in az before the payment is due and be ok...
and the second part of the question would be, what is the cost and how hard is it to switch over to az reg on the boat??
thanks
aaron
Think you're still going to be paying that luxury tax fee too.
2nd- you can register the boat in AZ if you use the boat here primarly. Fee rates depend on length.
3rd- Fees will increase 8/31/05.

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 09:32 AM
yup... too late. If you have the boat reg'd in Ca for ONE DAY in the assesment period... write a check. they do NOT prorate. ALso, if you dont pay... they WILL LEIN YOUR HOUSE!!!!! Happened to a buddy... It is easy to re reg in AZ.
They also put it on your credit TRW and it kills your score....

Bre
08-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Nice sig. pic Kilr :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
08-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Aggghhh...
After paying $700 or so for a few years....
I went to AZ numbers........
Later,
CJG
:skull:

Not So Fast
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I know that AZ is cracking down on boat registrations for people that have two residences. They state you must actually live here I believe to get a resident rate. How you prove it I dont know but the difference for my boat was from about $29 @year to $267@ year so I dont know if you could get the lower rate anyway. Good luck :cool: NSF

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Nice sig. pic Kilr :D
Thank you Bre, I hope all is well with you......
Watch out for PLYA he likes to sneak in in the middle of the night and spoon.....

syke-o
08-05-2005, 09:35 AM
ouch!!! so i will just pay this one and do some better planning for the next go around then i guess..... :notam:

HocusPocus
08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
if you have your boat and trailer registered in AZ.. and towing it with a vehicle it registered in CA.. you run a good chance of getting pulled over by the CHP.

Bre
08-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Thank you Bre, I hope all is well with you......
Watch out for PLYA he likes to sneak in in the middle of the night and spoon.....
NO he just likes to yell as he is coming down the hallway... ((FAWKER, YOU AWAKE)) :sleeping: :D and bang into the walls :eek:

syke-o
08-05-2005, 09:49 AM
if you have your boat and trailer registered in AZ.. and towing it with a vehicle it registered in CA.. you run a good chance of getting pulled over by the CHP.
right now everything is reg in ca, and i just wanted the boat reg in az to avoid the luxury tax...

azgfboatgirl
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
ouch!!! so i will just pay this one and do some better planning for the next go around then i guess..... :notam:
Than plan to register here no later than November, so I can have it done by the end of the year. "Time is a factor" :D

C-2
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM
It' not a luxury tax - it's a personal property tax, unified by the state but administered thru each of California's 58 counties. Just saying you have the boat out of state won't suffice; they'll ask you for receipt (and not handwritten receipts from a book you bought at staples.)
If you don't pay the tax, they file a personal property tax lien. It doesn't actually lien your real property (home), but by operation of law, acts as a lien against any propery, personal or real, and most title companies will require it be paid before they'll issue a policy of title insurance. That's of course, if they find it.
The taxes are also collected on business property, rv's, jet ski's etc.
You are looking for the CG mandate which gives us Cali residents a loophole - I'm sure other peeps will chime in, or do a search, this topic has been discussed many times before.
Good luck :)

HOOTER SLED-
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
They also put it on your credit TRW and it kills your score....
Trust me, it's a pain in the ass to get that shit fixed on your credit report. Those mother****ers ****ed up and even though I had proof of a cashed check showing I was not late, I had to do all the work to clear up a lien on my credit report. And it is STILL showing up on my report for what ****ing reason I do not know. I'm not mad or anything. :D
Now the next question is, is this just an LA County thing. Cuz I'm in Riverside County now. I need to figure this out still.

C-2
08-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Trust me, it's a pain in the ass to get that shit fixed on your credit report. Those mother****ers ****ed up and even though I had proof of a cashed check showing I was not late, I had to do all the work to clear up a lien on my credit report. And it is STILL showing up on my report for what ****ing reason I do not know. I'm not mad or anything. :D
Now the next question is, is this just an LA County thing. Cuz I'm in Riverside County now. I need to figure this out still.
It's a statewide tax, administered in EVERY county. If you register your boat in AZ and can PROVE you keep it there, then the state has no basis for taxing you.
HOWEVER - if they've taxed you once, you are on their tax rolls and they don't like to let go of taxes, which is why they will go above and beyond to make you prove what you say is correct (which it should be since they are a taxing agency and you are committing tax fraud if your are lying, wink, wink).
The problem with tax liens is once they are recorded - you can only control the damage. You can't have a tax lien "removed" from the public roll, only a correction of it. CRA's legally don't have to remiove them from your report since their requirment is only to report the record accurately, as it was recorded.
Best solution; don't get a tax lien recorded against you! CRA's and their scoring systems do not differentiate between a $1,000,000 IRS tax lien, or a $10 county tax lien. To them and their scoring models, a tax lien is a tax lien is tax lien.

Kilrtoy
08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Im going thru the same thing, they even show that I paid the stuff and then they said, they dont know why it is on there, but if you want it off it will cost you 18 dollar per transaction and you need three transactions....
So I have to pay 54 dollars just for them to show its clear even thou their computers show its clear....

Brian Ray
08-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Is this tax due at renewal time?? I just purchased a new boat in May....

OGShocker
08-05-2005, 11:46 AM
F' this state. Our boat "lives" in Montana.

atomickitn
08-05-2005, 12:08 PM
hears on for you lux tax i paid my taxs 5 years ago on a boat that i sold but because i owned it befor the year ended i still owed ok soo i paid the tax 400 + one year later i get a lean notice on my housenot thinking clear i paid it again ,,,, so one year later i sell my house and buy another i have a lien on this house , i call the bank provide the cannceled check send it to the govmt, they released the lean, last year im trying to refi ,, well guess what , i still have a lien on the my new house, and again i provide all the correct info , imm still whaiting to see what is going to happen, ... talk about service... :rollside:

Just Tool'n
08-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Who has paid cash for their boats from a private party?
You can not do this on a new boat or a used one from a dealer.
When going to DMV, make up your own bill of sale, for much lower $$$$
Equals lower property tax bill.

Racer277
08-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Is this tax due at renewal time?? I just purchased a new boat in May....
Phil will send you a bill about a year from now for it being in Kern on Dec31 05/Jan1 06.
Sucks but true....
:D