PDA

View Full Version : Kid needs braces......$5000?!/?!

Mandelon
08-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Holy crap that's a lot of dough........damn wife's side of the family must have bad teeth, cuz there aren't any braces on my side of the family....
The orthodontist is quoting $5000 start to finish, a couple of years worth. Some spacer thing for a while to stretch his jaw and then full braces for 12 - 18 months...is this about right?
:sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

H20 Party Starter
08-05-2005, 05:50 PM
$$$$$$ WOW, so that's why my mom get's mad at me when I open beer bottles with my teeth :hammer2:

JetBoatRich
08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Seems like a lot :hammer2: my daughter is on her second set :eek: first set about 7 years ago and had them on for a about 18 months. Now she has another set to finish them up :eek: she will get these off just in time for her High School Senior Picture :wink:
Her teeth were not terrible, but the insurance picked up a lot of the cost so it was not so painful in the pocket book. That is why we pay for insurance :cool: Now she will have great looking teeth :cool:

HocusPocus
08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
5k was about what i was quoted for my oldest daughters teeth.. and hers really arn't bad.. i mean i can't see anything wrong with them. but according to the "Dr." she needs'em. i think maybe he needs a new deckboat! :crossx: :crossx:

piper
08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Kids don't need braces. Let them pay for it when they get older if they still want them. In the mean time save up for a bigger boat. :)

Miss Perfect
08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Kids don't need braces. Let them pay for it when they get older if they still want them. In the mean time save up for a bigger boat. :)
It's a good thing my parents didn't listen to someone like you! :p

Scream
08-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Rich, that's a crap load for braces...shop it around. We signed up for this lame dental insurance called "Smile Saver". It didn't cost much but it put my girls in braces for about 1/2 that, so I guess it was worth it.
Anyway, who cares, it's only money...right?
Scream

Norseman
08-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Holy crap that's a lot of dough........damn wife's side of the family must have bad teeth, cuz there aren't any braces on my side of the family....
The orthodontist is quoting $5000 start to finish, a couple of years worth. Some spacer thing for a while to stretch his jaw and then full braces for 12 - 18 months...is this about right?
Jessi just got her's off, after 20 months, the bill was about $4500.
Plus the 150 for the retainer she'll need to wear for quite a while.
So yea it's about right!! :( :(

Dawn Patrol
08-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Braces with insurance should be around $1600 - $2500.
That's what it cost for my Wife and Daughter so far.

phebus
08-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Have him pick a fight with the biggest kid he knows. Maybe medical insurance will cover it? :D

Mandelon
08-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Dental insurance?...that's a good one. :hammer2: Its gonna be all outta pocket. They do let you make payments, with no interest charges so that's kinda nice but I guess I will be doing a few weekend jobs to take care of this one.... Oh well. :2purples:

piper
08-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Like I said, save your money for a bigger boat.

OutCole'd
08-05-2005, 06:27 PM
That's what we are getting quoted for Justin's grill also.
Damn kids. :D

Norseman
08-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Multiply the retainer cost by about 10, that's how many they'll go through before they're done. :D
Yea, I figure that too!!!
Better get thae damn boat done quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

LLGirl
08-05-2005, 06:59 PM
That's about right. Yours are a bit more because of the appliance they're putting in to stretch his jaw. We're going through it with our daughter right now. She's in "phase I" right now, which is the stretching part. This lasts for about 9 months. Then "phase II" which is a whole new set of xrays and a full set of braces for about 18 months. Thank goodness my husband and I have dual insurance... won't cost us a penny :)

Flashover
08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
JUst paid $2,000 for my daughters baraces. the total was around $4,000 but the insurance paid for part of it and then we got a discount for paying cash also. Either way thats a shitload of money. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Norseman
08-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you have some kind of insurance. My wife's retainers are like $350 a pop. Everytime she needs a new one, I cringe.
Unfourtunatly no insurance!!!
The wife said 175.00 but maybe that's for the first one and then they go up?????
I don't even want to know.......... :frown:

Just Tool'n
08-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I can tell you this, I am glad my parents paid to get my teeth fixed when I was a teenager.
When you are an adult, you learn to appricate the things your parents did for you when you were a kid.
Plus the chicks dig straight teeth.
Your kid will thank you someday, I know I did!

Mandelon
08-05-2005, 08:22 PM
It seems like he thinks its gonna be cool to have them...better to do it now than later when he actually starts to like girls... LOL He's only 11 now. Lots of his friends have them too.
He's one expensive kid, I have a $5000 insulin pump too, along with assorted asthma machines and inhalers all over the house.. :frown:
Not from my side of the family. We have straight teeth, we only keel over from heart disease on my side...... :messedup:

bunny 166
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Mandy, 5k is right on the money...Melissa is already in phase 2....ins. paid 1K and we forked over the rest. We got a slight discount for paying cash, same as someone else mentioned..... Retainers are $75 a piece, no insurance for those, of course!! :burningm:
Sorry, but your son will thank you...his teeth will look terrific.... ;)

Punchy
08-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Guy at my work just paid for his wife to get braces. He wheels and deals everywhere we go and he never pays full pop for anything. He figured out how much the braces would cost if he had insurance (which he doesn't) and offered that amount to the orthodontist in cash and the guy accepted. He's paying about half of what the guy originally quoted him. Unbelievable....

boxscore
08-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Rich... took Hannah today for her 1st Ortho appt... she's only 7 y/o...
gonna start on her in about 6 mos to widen her upper palette and stabilize lower teeth...
Braces 5 yrs after that.
w/o immediate intervention, we're talkin about surgery and pulled teeth in teenage years. My advice... find the best ortho, and take their advice. For the most part, Orthodontics is a fairly up and up profession. Find a good one and follow thier advice... even if it costs you more than you think it should. PM me for deets bro.