PDA

View Full Version : 22-25 Bowrider

sully44
08-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Been looking at purchasing my first custom boat. Looking at 22-24 open bows. Like the Ultra and Dana, what are some of your guys input. Looking to keep the price tag under $70K

DM25CITATION
08-06-2005, 12:29 PM
go advantage and nordic. great boats

voodoomedman
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Been looking at purchasing my first custom boat. Looking at 22-24 open bows. Like the Ultra and Dana, what are some of your guys input. Looking to keep the price tag under $70K
Check out the Ultra 24 Stealth. PM Ultra28 with any questions. He is the owner of Ultra. Awesome boat and you'll be hard pressed to find guys who will take care of you better.

rivercrazy
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Tremor Therapy and DILLIGAF here on the boards have lightly used outstanding quality Shockwave 25 Tremor's for sale right now. Probably everything your looking for in a boat / price.

voodoomedman
08-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Tremor Therapy and DILLIGAF here on the boards have lightly used outstanding quality Shockwave 25 Tremor's for sale right now. Probably everything your looking for in a boat / price.
That's a nice ride too. Since you can afford up to 70k the best advice we can give you is this.
Buy the bigger of the numbers your looking for. Especially for large lakes. It will handle much better. Always get the bigger engine. You don't want to be dissapointed in such a large purchase. Do research on the manufacturers and the models in question. Look for what pleases you and buy it.
If you have any questions for an Ultra owner I'd be glad to answer.

dicudmore
08-06-2005, 12:39 PM
24' Ultra Stealth is a real nice boat, so is the 23' Dana
25' Tremor as mentioned is a real nice boat, I think you'll spend just north of 70K for a new one though...
I also believe the 29' Cheetah can be had for around 70K, pretty nice boat IMHO

riverracerx
08-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Nordic!!! ;)

TCHB
08-06-2005, 12:51 PM
In that size range I would go with Shockwave 25. It is a big 25 and has a swim platform that is not included in the advertised length. I had a Howard 22 Off Shore but it was still on the small side for Havasu.

sully44
08-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Here is the goofy thing. I frequent the hot spots twice a summer to visit my sister out west. Her husband and her have a home off Lake Mead. I am from the great midwest town of Chicago, so I need a ride that can handle our every changing boating situations. I like the West Cost Style, heck I bought a Bourget chopper! Thinking mid cabin with open bow!

2Driver
08-06-2005, 01:02 PM
If it is going back to IL and you ever plan to sell it you might consider a west coast name that is also know there in IL like Advantage or ?? etc..... Out of state and unknown crafts in a local market can be hard to get rid of if the time comes.

Quality Time
08-06-2005, 01:04 PM
If you plan on boating on the big lake, Go Bigger! Both the 28 and 32 Sunsations come in mid cabin/open bow configurations, they are close to you (as is a dealer) and thier customer service is second to none. BTW, I grew up boating on the Great Lakes and size does matter.
Best of Luck with your purchase.

voodoomedman
08-06-2005, 01:29 PM
If it is going back to IL and you ever plan to sell it you might consider a west coast name that is also know there in IL like Advantage or ?? etc..... Out of state and unknown crafts in a local market can be hard to get rid of if the time comes.
In that case go with the Ultra. With the Fear Factor Boat, Jesse James, Monster Garage... I think people will at least somewhat know Ultra. :)

Outnumbered
08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I am sold on the Ultra 24 Stealth. It looks low profile but will handle some pretty big water. We had a chance to test it out 4th of July at Powell. Running the channel twice a day in some nasty water. No one could/would hang with us running through there. Of course, there are bigger/faster boats that could have but we did not see any. I love the size of the boat. Not too big and not too small. Perfect for Mead, Powell, Havasu, etc.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973P7250032.JPG

sully44
08-09-2005, 04:05 AM
That is a sweet ride outnumbered! I am flying out to Ultra next week for a tour. I am also going to look at Nordic. Thanks for all your guys input

jbtrailerjim
08-09-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm on my second season with my Ultra and I love it. It handles the Havasu chop good. When it comes time to upgrade I'd definitely buy another one. They are great people to deal with.

rodnjen
08-09-2005, 07:09 AM
If you like the Ultra Stealth, I would recommend looking at Essex as well. They have a lot of room on the inside and are well thought out IMO. Reverse facing seats are a big issue for us, Ultra and Essex do a particularly good job with that layout.

voodoomedman
08-09-2005, 07:32 AM
If you like the Ultra Stealth, I would recommend looking at Essex as well. They have a lot of room on the inside and are well thought out IMO. Reverse facing seats are a big issue for us, Ultra and Essex do a particularly good job with that layout.
Essex is a well built boat but I do believe the Ultra will be faster. Essex is a heavy boat. I'm 6'7" and I love the room in my Stealth. The only thing like I said is their isn't a whole lotta head room down below but no one ever sits down there.

Outnumbered
08-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Essex is a well built boat but I do believe the Ultra will be faster. Essex is a heavy boat. I'm 6'7" and I love the room in my Stealth. The only thing like I said is their isn't a whole lotta head room down below but no one ever sits down there.
My kids, 5 and 10, love to sit down there. At 6'1" I can squeeze into the cuddy seats but its tight.
Sully44, thanks for the compliment. We do love this boat and I am sure it would do well for what you need. Let me know if you have any questions.

2Driver
08-09-2005, 01:14 PM
That is a sweet ride outnumbered! I am flying out to Ultra next week for a tour. I am also going to look at Nordic. Thanks for all your guys input
Since you are taking the time to fly out might as well stop in Corona CA and see Lavey Craft. Also if you are going to Havasu to see Nordic go next door and see Advantage in Havasu. IF nothing else you have some more to compare. If iwas in L i'd opt for a Fountain or Cig for resale...but that's me

voodoomedman
08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Since you are taking the time to fly out might as well stop in Corona CA and see Lavey Craft. Also if you are going to Havasu to see Nordic go next door and see Advantage in Havasu. IF nothing else you have some more to compare. If iwas in L i'd opt for a Fountain or Cig for resale...but that's me
Lavey=awesome built boat. Speed will be great too. Roominess probably won't come close to the Ultra though. If your looking for the room you are on the right track with the Ultra. I do agree though that looking at different manufacturers is a great idea so you are a well educated buyer. You will probably be sold though when you get to the Ultra factory. John will show you everything and it is really cool. Sitting down with him to do your gelcoat is amazing too. It's like watching DaVinci.

Biglue
08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
My 26 foot commander is pretty roomy. Excellent layout. You should be able to get one w/a 496ho under that limit.
Commanders get mixed reviews but then again so does every other boat.

Nord
08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I have the 236 Eagle from Eliminator with a 502Mag. The boat is outstanding!!! No problems with the boat, rigging, or engine!!!
It has a step bottom V, handles very good even in big chop!
It is available in a walkthrough if you want, or if you have kids, get the cuddy cabin (never gets used).
I'm happy!!
Or
Look at Ultra Boats, they have great boats for great prices!!!!
They have a lot of different gel coat schemes, they are rigged very nice, and the price tag won't shock the hell out of you. I also know they have great customer service!!

Tremor Therapy
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I'll chime in since somebody kindly mentioned my name! My 25 Tremor is a true 25 footer, and it has great freeboard. Many Tremor owners have put their boats in the big blue, and have gone out to play in 3-4 foot swells without any issue! I know of some other so-called 25's that look for covers on 2 foot Havasu chop! I have taken my boat out on Mead on a windy day, and other than it being a pain, came home completely dry and happy!
I looked at Ultra, Nordic, Lavey, Cheetah, Essex, Commander, Howard, and others, and when it came right down to it, this was the best boat for the money, and if ya want, go look in the ***boats section....you will find a kindly used 2003 that I'll sell ya for 65k!

BajaMike
08-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't have one but I driven the 25' Tremor, and it rides and handles rough water like a 28 to 30 foot boat.
Check out this one for sale, very nice, and very good deal.
Diligaf's Tremor (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84614)
:eat: :D :confused:

N2Lake
08-09-2005, 03:40 PM
and if ya want, go look in the ***boats section....you will find a kindly used 2003 that I'll sell ya for 65k!
Or just click http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1464870&posted=1#post1464870
Alan's boat is as advertised, clean as a pin and very well cared for. Has a lot of extras too.

little rowe boat
08-10-2005, 07:30 AM
I had a Howard 22 Off Shore but it was still on the small side for Havasu.
I disagree with this statement. I have a 220 offshore and it handles Havasu just fine.

sully44
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Interesting,
I am looking at Shockwave and Ultra..........

Mrs.HLB1
08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
I would also check out Genesis.They are in Riverside. We have a 2004 23ft open bow and love it! There prices are not out of control like most boat manufacturers. Also they have great customer service. Let me know if you have any q's..
Mrs.HLB

rvrtoy
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Sully
What day are you flying in and what day are you planning on visiting Ultra? I want to make sure that I am available to personally give you the tour of our facility. Let me know.....
Steve

sully44
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I am trying for the wife an I to fly in on the 18th and be at Ultra on the 19th hopefully. Just got to take care of some things here first.
Thanks,
Mike Sulysky

OGShocker
08-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I am trying for the wife an I to fly in on the 18th and be at Ultra on the 19th hopefully. Just got to take care of some things here first.
Thanks,
Mike Sulysky
Dana Boats is five minutes from the Ontario airport. If you contact Rhett at Dana he will have you on the water driving a 23' with in 30 minutes. I am sure other builders would do the same for you. Dollar for dollar Dana can not be beat.