PDA

View Full Version : mountain camping

jbone
08-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Can anyone recommend a good campground for Nov-March?
Beginning a family tradition with young girls (3 and 5). We will be using a tent trailer and we prefer the quieter locations. We want to feel like we are actually in the mountains, not a trailer park.
I'm looking to stay no farther north than Bigbear CA. I'm not sure if most campgrounds stay open in the winter, but we don't want to give up river time to do this.
J

jbone
08-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Bump
What, no campers here????????

Wyoming
08-07-2005, 04:09 AM
I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Wyoming that time of year unless you really like the snow.

boxscore
08-07-2005, 06:06 AM
That time of year, Joshua Tree is pretty nice.
Other than that, around here any mountain camping might get a little harsh temp-wise. Especially with the kids.
Come to think of it, Joshua Tree gets butt cold too.

Mandelon
08-07-2005, 06:17 AM
You just want to go local? There's a lot of campground in the Lagunas between the 8 and Julian....or on Palomar Mtn.
Green Valley Falls, Paso Pacacho, Pinezanita are all alright. Go pick up the Foghorn Outdoors book called California Camping, by Tom Stienstra. Its really comprehensive and well laid out by areas.

HocusPocus
08-07-2005, 07:44 AM
you could check our camps in Wrightwood Ca, lots of great hiking and camping areas and you don't have to deal with the windy mountain roads. :)
happy camping.

meaniam
08-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Can anyone recommend a good campground for Nov-March?
Beginning a family tradition with young girls (3 and 5). We will be using a tent trailer and we prefer the quieter locations. We want to feel like we are actually in the mountains, not a trailer park.
I'm looking to stay no farther north than Bigbear CA. I'm not sure if most campgrounds stay open in the winter, but we don't want to give up river time to do this.
J
there is one in lake arrowhead on hwy 18 off daliey canyon road. i belive they have hookups to. aout 2mile from lake. directly behind rim of the world high school. close to town restrants and shopping.
the first snowfall usually happens in san bernardino forest around thanksgiving. i dont remember any heavy snows. just light dustings.
elevation around 5000 ft. daytome temp 60s night time proably mid 30s proably no lower then 28.
i just remembered the name. Dogwood. it is ran by the forest service im not sure if they are open year around.
but if you do go make sure all food is locked up good. there are bears. you would need to worry about

MagicMtnDan
08-07-2005, 09:09 AM
That's easy, there are a lot of great places to camp in Kahleefornya:
* Anza Borrego - great place!
* Death Valley - great place (except for the burning hot months) - very desolate
* Central Coast - there are a number of state campgrounds along the central coast including the Hearst Castle area.
Enjoy!

Water Romper
08-08-2005, 06:27 AM
For a real “out of the way” experience, go to Holcombe Valley.
This is N. of Big Bear City and has a ton of history, very unique rock formations and is defiantly off the beaten path. No hook ups, No toilets but really nice.
Stop at the Big Bear Museum and get the map and brochure of the area and check it out.