PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance

AdrenelineOD
08-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Who do you go through, how much and make and H Power. I have a 79 Bahner w/ ski 427. Thanks in advance. Brad

advantage21
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
i go through AAA but i don't know how old of boats they insure but i kknow they ask all sorts of questions like how fast how much hp etc tell them under 55mph and less tah 300hp and you should be ok.

termiteguy
08-08-2005, 12:21 AM
allstate about 600 per year 03 genesis open bow 330hp i told them everything :idea:

NautiIntentions
08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Progressive, 1989 42 Sonic with twin 540c.i. 575 hp $1300/yr. Make sure to be up front with everything. Insurance companies just love to investigate and find out some engine mod was made or the hp you reported was not true and deny a claim. Have seen it happen to a couple of friends.

Mohavekid
08-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Progressive. I pay about $350/year.
If your boat has OT headers, you'll have a hard time getting anybody to insure it.

Essex29
08-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Progressive, 1989 42 Sonic with twin 540c.i. 575 hp $1300/yr. Make sure to be up front with everything. Insurance companies just love to investigate and find out some engine mod was made or the hp you reported was not true and deny a claim. Have seen it happen to a couple of friends.
I've tried to go through Progressive, but they tell me that they wont touch anything over 500 hp/per motor.
What's your secret?

v-drive
08-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Terheggen/Malone Marine Insurance. (800)223-6268
They cover nationally and were very easy to deal with and were only 350 a year for the v-drive. Their only hang ups are if you're blown or on the bottle.
I had to go to court for a guy that had progressive and you couldn't give me their insurance........v-drive

Floored
08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
T&M for me also.5th year. No prob with a claim either. I have bassetts and when I signed up I had a tunnel ram also. Ask for Margaret.

NautiIntentions
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I've tried to go through Progressive, but they tell me that they wont touch anything over 500 hp/per motor.
What's your secret?
I don't know, when I bought the boat (Sonic) the engines had just been dropped in and the insurance company I have my SeaRay Pachanga with said they would not cover the boat becuase of the hp so I just made some phone calls. Progressive asked me the hp of each motor, who they were made by and the serial numbers. Gave then all the specs and a day later, told me they would insure the boat and gave me a policy. Guess I just got lucky.

Froggystyle
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
A bit of advice. Be 100% honest in your estimate of speed and horsepower. If you have trouble getting insured because of it, keep looking. As much trouble as you would have getting insured for the big power and configuration will be miniscule compared to how hard it would be to get your stuff actually covered in the event of an accident. Don't be suprised to find a 350 Alpha replacement for your 55 mph boat...
Not to mention that any accident suspected of being speed related would be immediately cause for canceling of your policy and non-payment of your claim. Plus potential jail time for insurance fraud.
Screw that... be straight with the man.

HocusPocus
08-08-2005, 03:33 PM
i have had progressive for years.. never had a problem. i have 3 boats insured with them.

lalhc
08-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Allstate / Conquest Top Cat / 496 Mag / $625 per year
Totally upfront w/everything w/paid appraisal

Beer-30
08-08-2005, 06:01 PM
$850/yr, Progressive, but I maxed everything out. Especially the medical limits for passengers. Just in case.

Essex29
08-08-2005, 06:02 PM
$850/yr, Progressive, but I maxed everything out. Especially the medical limits for passengers. Just in case.
what motor?

Riverkid
08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
That's a good safe bet right there. Did the same with Allstate, $570 for my Schiada 21' bundled up with the rest of it all..
Oh, and AAA will cover the Parker Strip, at least they did for me with my old Spectra. Just tell 'em you'd hate to take the house and cars along with your boat to their competitor who will cover the area... :idea:

YeLLowBoaT
08-08-2005, 11:47 PM
On my1973 unkown make 16 ft jet value ~ 5k if costs me almost a 1000 for full coverage however liabilty and unisured is only 97 a year with progressive
progressive was the only 1 that would touch me. every 1 else said I made too much power/ too old/ too fast/ that boat is only worth $1200 by are "book"

Beer-30
08-09-2005, 06:11 AM
what motor?
HO powered.

diggler
08-09-2005, 06:19 AM
It took me over 31 insurance agencies before one would cover me.
Cornerstone Insurance Agency (AKA Insurance Bob)
$2200 per year for replacement value of;
19' Ultra Shadow (cat/picklefork)
800 horsepower
I came clean with the specs of the boat to avoid any hint of fraudulent representation. I also checked with the CA dept. of Insurance to make sure the company was in good standing legally.
(please note that I found the IWSF was NOT in good standing and is in fact a Panamanian company that is not licensed for business in California!!)

meaniam
08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
man i called margret sometime ago and lost her number. i am glad i have her info now. this company has good pricing. and vs. what i went through with 2 boats being stolen. (1 i didnt even dare about)i will definatly run with theses flats being insured. to high risk

HM
08-09-2005, 10:30 AM
(please note that I found the IWSF was NOT in good standing and is in fact a Panamanian company that is not licensed for business in California!!)
FYI - they do not have to licensed in CA. IWSF is a surplus line - no California license requirement - except, you cannot do business with them unless you have a hard time finding coverage. You also have to deal direct or with an agency that is licensed to handle surplus lines (you have to be licensed to broker for unlicensed).
These are definitely not the best companies to deal with, but sometimes you have no choice and pray you have no claims - but does make you "legal."

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Be careful, AAA doesn't cover from Laughlin to the Palos Verdes Dam-(just north of Blythe).
Rio
That's not true. They will cover you in any area, but they will not insure you if you do most of your boating on the Parker strip. They never asked me about Davis Dam to Parker Dam, only Parker to Palos Verdes. I told him that we go there on occassion, usually once a year. He said that was fine, they just choose not to insure people who boat there most of the time. I asked him "My boat will still be covered if we go there, right?" He said yes.
I pay $227 a year for my '78 Hallett.

meaniam
08-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by diggler
FYI - they do not have to licensed in CA. IWSF is a surplus line - no California license requirement - except, you cannot do business with them unless you have a hard time finding coverage. You also have to deal direct or with an agency that is licensed to handle surplus lines (you have to be licensed to broker for unlicensed).
These are definitely not the best companies to deal with, but sometimes you have no choice and pray you have no claims - but does make you "legal."
Today 11:17 AM
who is iwsf??????????????????????

diggler
08-09-2005, 11:28 AM
You're absolutely right. However, there are at least five states that have Cease and Desist orders against this company as a result of claims being filed and not honored. I wouldn't want to be the one person in California that had a major claim that should have been covered, but wasn't. I can't imagine trying to force an offshore foreign company to pay up.