PDA

View Full Version : Designing a boat, need blank line drawings

Essex29
08-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Looking for some line drawings to start drawing some ideas. I saw the one on the DCB sit, but it's only for cat's.
I'm sure someone has something they could e-mail me :D
thanks!
tarek.nehme@verizon.net

h2oski2fast
08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
designing graphics?

Essex29
08-08-2005, 11:49 AM
designing graphics?
Yes

Froggystyle
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
What kind of a boat are you designing them for?

Essex29
08-08-2005, 11:53 AM
29' v bottom

Froggystyle
08-08-2005, 12:08 PM
29' v bottom
Right... but what kind? The best move is to get them from the manufacturer that you are buying the boat from.

Essex29
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Oops...It's the new Cobra 29 Mod-V....I called over there today and got no answer. I'm bored, but I guess I can wait until tomorrow.
BTW- are there any other 28-29 mod v boats there?
What about insurance on your Revolution, had any quotes yet?

Froggystyle
08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
What about insurance on your Revolution, had any quotes yet?
With the big motor and a good driving record it will be around $1500/year.
Compare that with any cat-type deckboat with a stern drive at $2500 and up with big power.
Fortunately for us, a wonderful by-product of the Tri-Hydro/Dual jet design is that it is listed as a runabout as delivered. Same catagory as a bayliner, but with the additional break because of the Dual Jet drive system. Opting for the increased horsepower available will take it out of that catagory unfortunately, but we won't be testing any boats with greater than 600hp at the shafts in any evaluations.
(That still gives us sub-six second 0-60 times BTW... ;) )

Froggystyle
08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Oops...It's the new Cobra 29 Mod-V....
I have some line art for some similar boats I can try to scan for you if you really want it.
Best move is to find a side profile shot of it and trace the lines with Photoshop.

Punchy
08-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I've got a question for everyone out there. Does anyone think that people that have the money to buy 100k+ boats would pay to have a third party design the graphics for them? Reason I ask is that I've designed graphics for a few boats for friends on the side and people keep telling me I could make money at it but I just don't see it. One was a 29' Force Offshore cat open bow, white with blue and grey graphics that was at the LA Boat Show last year. I've got pics but I think some have already been posted by someone else in the pic gallery. When you got guys like John West who do some pretty nice gel design, a graphic designer would be pointless. However, I've also seen some ugly graphic/color combos and other graphic trends that are way over used. I've been told people have stalled for months on the purchase of a high dollar boat because they didn't know what they wanted and the boat manufacturer couldn't come up with a design they liked. I tried actually going to a few boat manufacturers to see if they would be interested in buying designs or would sub out design work, but usually they have me talk to their gel guy who of course has some what of an ego and thinks he's got it handled in the design dept. Just wondering what everyones opinion is.....thanks

Huckleberry
08-09-2005, 03:33 AM
Punchy,
When I ordered my Lavey several years back I would have paid someone good $$$$ to come up with some killer graphics. Instead, I went with some generic checkered graphics I saw on another boat. Ho hum boring. I'd give it a whirl if I were you. :wink:

Riverkid
08-09-2005, 05:00 AM
H20ski2fast has also done some gel graphic design for new boats. His stuff looked really nice, and original...

Punchy
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
bump

Kilrtoy
08-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I think Froggy already said it... Call the MAn and say hey mail me some blanks...
or you can write EDUKATOR, he is here on the boards

RiverDave
08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I've got a question for everyone out there. Does anyone think that people that have the money to buy 100k+ boats would pay to have a third party design the graphics for them? Reason I ask is that I've designed graphics for a few boats for friends on the side and people keep telling me I could make money at it but I just don't see it. One was a 29' Force Offshore cat open bow, white with blue and grey graphics that was at the LA Boat Show last year. I've got pics but I think some have already been posted by someone else in the pic gallery. When you got guys like John West who do some pretty nice gel design, a graphic designer would be pointless. However, I've also seen some ugly graphic/color combos and other graphic trends that are way over used. I've been told people have stalled for months on the purchase of a high dollar boat because they didn't know what they wanted and the boat manufacturer couldn't come up with a design they liked. I tried actually going to a few boat manufacturers to see if they would be interested in buying designs or would sub out design work, but usually they have me talk to their gel guy who of course has some what of an ego and thinks he's got it handled in the design dept. Just wondering what everyones opinion is.....thanks
Just my .02.. I'm not sure it's something your going to make any real money at, becuase there's so many talented individuals out there that will do it for free, or next to free. (In the cats and tunnels section atleast once a quarter someone posts a line dwg, and in one day there's about 100 different pictures up there, all done for free, that look pretty sick..)
If I was going to have someone design graphics for me it'd probably be Dennis (just becuase I know him, and I know his work and it fits "my" style). Good luck with the venture if you decide to go forward with it! ***boat would definately be a good source of business. :)
RD

h2oski2fast
08-09-2005, 06:51 PM
That's a good question Punchy. I have designed graphics for Advantage, Shockwave and commander (most all of my designs have been featured in HB mag), the biggest problem you will run into is people don't want to spend the money. Ussually, with my designs, the owner takes it to the boat manufacturer and then they say well thats real complicated and want to charge more for the gel work (with more dynamic designs there are, most of the time, many fades and each fade requires a clear to be layed down first. All this costing more money). Some people will pay, but the majority won't. Another thing to concider, is the knowledge and ability needed to execute the design with gelcoat. One of the manufacturers I designed a sceme for, and I'm not going to mention names, told me that it couldn't be done. They told me the taping involved would not allow the design to look correctly. I then talked with the gel guy and spent 45 minutes on the phone with him to explain how to tape the boat off. Well, the gel guy finally got it and the boat turned out just as designed. I've also had problems with the "arrogant" gel people wanting to add their .02 to my design which always causes a problem with our mutual customer. The knowledge, for the designer, of how gelcoat is applied is huge. Most graphic designers don't have that. Now if it's painted, hell that's easy you just have to find the painter that can execute the design.
I don't understand why the manfacturers don't hire people to do the designs. I know some do, but the majority don't.

h2oski2fast
08-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Just my .02.. I'm not sure it's something your going to make any real money at, becuase there's so many talented individuals out there that will do it for free, or next to free. (In the cats and tunnels section atleast once a quarter someone posts a line dwg, and in one day there's about 100 different pictures up there, all done for free, that look pretty sick..)
If I was going to have someone design graphics for me it'd probably be Dennis (just becuase I know him, and I know his work and it fits "my" style). Good luck with the venture if you decide to go forward with it! ***boat would definately be a good source of business. :)
RD
You mean like the HK, Dave?
http://www.hillbankusa.com/signfx/boatstuff/dcbmach267.jpg

BILLY.B
08-09-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't understand why the manfacturers don't hire people to do the designs. I know some do, but the majority don't.Because its way to easy for the owner to walk in and see a boat first hand that they like the layout on and say "I like that, what do you think HONEY!!!"???, then it is to pay for a layout by a person that knows what he's doing. I've got to tell you that I have also done my share of graphic layouts over the past 30yrs for customers of Hallett, Eliminator, Advantage, Schiada just to name a few and i'm still amazed how many times the layouts have been copied still today. I have a drawing just like the one that is posted with the graphics swirling off the front and swooping up the sides that was drawn some 7yrs ago and used by an Eliminator customer and it is still being copied today. My point is unless you can get a guy who isn't easily influenced by his friends for doing something different you'll drive yourself nutts. Go to designtechgraphics.com if you want to see some badd ass design work. We work with him on all of the NHRA cars that we do and I have now got him into the boat arena due largely to the race cars going one color or being wrapped in vinyl. Good luck in your venture and I don't mean to discourage you...Hell I know that all you have to do is get one nice job out there and you'll be off. And a word of wisdom...NO BACKWARDS FLAMES!!!!. There friking ugly and make no sense what so ever, along with animal print. And if you ever want to see what not to do go hang out at the sandbar or under the London bridge or Topock bar and you'll see plenty of ugly stuff....Good luck.

Redneck
08-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Looking for some line drawings to start drawing some ideas. I saw the one on the DCB sit, but it's only for cat's.
I'm sure someone has something they could e-mail me :D
thanks!
tarek.nehme@verizon.net
im sure my wife can draw some for you let me know if you interested

Froggystyle
08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I think a big part of graphic design is consideration of the media at hand. If you are working with gelcoat, and with a budget then the primary concern should be ease of application. Keep the design strong and simple as opposed to more wild. If the price is not a concern, and the capability of the gelcoater is not a question, then go as wild as you want to. When you draw a design that will be no upcharge, the customer will inevitably want something a little crazier, and be willing to pay for it. There needs to be an escalation though, and a willingess to proceed. Bracing someone with a $7,000 additional gelcoat charge is rarely a happy day, especially when the guy designing has nothing to do with the company who has to do it. Gelcoat graphics are a huge liability. If they are "wrong" then you will have a pissed off customer with a crazy boat. The more tape, the more potential for failure. The more fades and pulls the harder it is to not only lay out, but to actually finish when it is all said and done. Not to mention the million times they end up cleaning a gun to run a new color through it for a fade. The first boat we shot had twelve color changes, with a new clear for every zone shot. But, I paid through the nose, and got what I wanted. I drew the whole graphic with the intention of being able to gelcoat successfully though.
I too have had to explain to gelcoaters what I was looking for, but they are the masters of their booths... you better work within their strengths and not their weaknesses if you want your design to come out good.

Essex29
08-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I think a big part of graphic design is consideration of the media at hand. If you are working with gelcoat, and with a budget then the primary concern should be ease of application. Keep the design strong and simple as opposed to more wild. If the price is not a concern, and the capability of the gelcoater is not a question, then go as wild as you want to. When you draw a design that will be no upcharge, the customer will inevitably want something a little crazier, and be willing to pay for it. There needs to be an escalation though, and a willingess to proceed. Bracing someone with a $7,000 additional gelcoat charge is rarely a happy day, especially when the guy designing has nothing to do with the company who has to do it. Gelcoat graphics are a huge liability. If they are "wrong" then you will have a pissed off customer with a crazy boat. The more tape, the more potential for failure. The more fades and pulls the harder it is to not only lay out, but to actually finish when it is all said and done. Not to mention the million times they end up cleaning a gun to run a new color through it for a fade. The first boat we shot had twelve color changes, with a new clear for every zone shot. But, I paid through the nose, and got what I wanted. I drew the whole graphic with the intention of being able to gelcoat successfully though.
I too have had to explain to gelcoaters what I was looking for, but they are the masters of their booths... you better work within their strengths and not their weaknesses if you want your design to come out good.
That sounds like some solid advice. :p

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:18 PM
thanks for the input. I have pretty much gone over in my head what you all have just said. I never thought I could make a living at it but some side money would be nice. Even then, the Force Offshore I designed was close but not exact to my rendering.The owner was more than happy with the outcome so I guess that's all that matters. I would have liked to have used more color, maybe an orange accent, but the owner was bent on blue and grey only. Looks striking in person, like blue tendons being stretched across the hull. The grey was supposed to be more metal looking, more knife like, but like some of you said, it's hard to explain and communicate certain things to the gel coater. The boat has also been in HB a few times so if nothing else I get my 15 seconds :D

Essex29
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM
thanks for the input. I have pretty much gone over in my head what you all have just said. I never thought I could make a living at it but some side money would be nice. Even then, the Force Offshore I designed was close but not exact to my rendering.The owner was more than happy with the outcome so I guess that's all that matters. I would have liked to have used more color, maybe an orange accent, but the owner was bent on blue and grey only. Looks striking in person, like blue tendons being stretched across the hull. The grey was supposed to be more metal looking, more knife like, but like some of you said, it's hard to explain and communicate certain things to the gel coater. The boat has also been in HB a few times so if nothing else I get my 15 seconds :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=37958&password=&sort=7&thecat=998
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=37980&password=&sort=7&thecat=998
Why don't you post some pics or a link to it?

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Why don't you post some pics or a link to it?
I know I'm about the millionth person to say this but, I can't f***ing figure out how to post pics from the gallery or my computer. I can't even figure out how to upload pics to the gallery. Any help would be appreciated.

Essex29
08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I know I'm about the millionth person to say this but, I can't f***ing figure out how to post pics from the gallery or my computer. I can't even figure out how to upload pics to the gallery. Any help would be appreciated.
Email them to me and I'll post them for you.
tarek.nehme@verizon.net

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Email them to me and I'll post them for you.
tarek.nehme@verizon.net
alright, but I'd rather someone teach me how to do it so I can do it myself in the future....they're on the way...

Essex29
08-09-2005, 10:35 PM
It's pretty basic, you just have to have them uploaded somewhere on the net.....***boat image center, ***boatpics, shutterfly, etc., then you can load them here.

TheEduKATor
08-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Essex 29, I did the blank template for the DCB website and have blanks for a few v-bottom boats as well. Let me know if I can help. I have them in illustrator and photoshop format as well as jpgs.

h2oski2fast
08-09-2005, 10:44 PM
You don't have to have them uploaded anywhere. Click post reply under the last post, then scroll down, under additional option click the manage attachment button, the follow the instructions.

Essex29
08-09-2005, 10:50 PM
You don't have to have them uploaded anywhere. Click post reply under the last post, then scroll down, under additional option click the manage attachment button, the follow the instructions.
Is that new? I always thought they had to be uploaded.

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
I did that, it said the picture I was trying to upload was not valid even though it's in jpeg form. I tried with a lot of different pics. I also tried to insert pics from the ***boat gallery. The address for the pics would be in my draft but missing from my preview and final post. What gives? :confused:

h2oski2fast
08-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Is that new? I always thought they had to be uploaded.
Been around ever since they converted to this board.

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:55 PM
hey Essex, just got a e-mail saying my pics didn't get sent because the e-mail "exceeded local size limits". Did you recieve anything?

Essex29
08-09-2005, 10:56 PM
hey Essex, just got a e-mail saying my pics didn't get sent because the e-mail "exceeded local size limits". Did you recieve anything?
nope....I've never had that problem.

Punchy
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
nope....I've never had that problem.
well I'm just screwed all the way around.....

Essex29
08-09-2005, 11:00 PM
well I'm just screwed all the way around.....
Is it anywhere online?

Punchy
08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Is it anywhere online?
there is 2 pics someone posted in the ***boat image center

Essex29
08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
there is 2 pics someone posted in the ***boat image center
Do you know who or what it's called?

Punchy
08-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Do you know who or what it's called?
29 force openbow and Force 29 Openbow 2 ......they're crappy pictures compared to the ones I have but I don't know how to get mine into the ***boat gallery...

Punchy
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
29 force openbow and Force 29 Openbow 2 ......they're crappy pictures compared to the ones I have but I don't know how to get mine into the ***boat gallery...
I think I might have to down size my images....they're over 2MB...

TheEduKATor
08-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Essex29,
You got mail

Punchy
08-10-2005, 08:07 PM
ok, these are the ones already in the hb gallery. The ones I have are better but I'll have to resize them first 'cause they're too large for the gallery...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Force_29_Openbow_1-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/508/1419Force_29_Openbow_2-med.jpg