PDA

View Full Version : Kaboom!!!!!

'78 gt boat
08-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, I got the boat wet this weekend and not too happy with the results.
Day 1: Got out on the water and the boat seemed a little sluggish. I knew the carb needed a good once over but I wanted to give it a shot. Was about three or four miles out and it starts runnin shitty so we shut it down and find out one of the plug wires came off. Couldn't get it started for a half hour. Finally got it back and found the secondaries were not workin.
Day2: Fixed the carb and boy did the motor wake up!!! Get out on the water and the bitch is flyin down the river. After about 10 or so min. we smell oil. Mmmmmm then starts the clankin... clankity clankity clank so I back off and try gettin back to the launch and no more than 1 minute later the clankin get's real loud and then boom!!!!! Engine no worky no more. Not sure yet what happened but now I need a new short block for sure. My luck with boats in the last 30 days has really sucked!! If anyone knows where I can get a 460 short block for a good price please let me know. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :( :(

Squirtin Thunder
08-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Well, I got the boat wet this weekend and not too happy with the results.
Day 1: Got out on the water and the boat seemed a little sluggish. I knew the carb needed a good once over but I wanted to give it a shot. Was about three or four miles out and it starts runnin shitty so we shut it down and find out one of the plug wires came off. Couldn't get it started for a half hour. Finally got it back and found the secondaries were not workin.
Day2: Fixed the carb and boy did the motor wake up!!! Get out on the water and the bitch is flyin down the river. After about 10 or so min. we smell oil. Mmmmmm then starts the clankin... clankity clankity clank so I back off and try gettin back to the launch and no more than 1 minute later the clankin get's real loud and then boom!!!!! Engine no worky no more. Not sure yet what happened but now I need a new short block for sure. My luck with boats in the last 30 days has really sucked!! If anyone knows where I can get a 460 short block for a good price please let me know. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :( :(
I would go back to the place you got the last boat and tell them they need to take care of this one too !!! This is a bit redickulous. Paul (Lakes Only) can help you out on a complete engine down to a short block. Real good prices too.
Jim
REBUILT/NEVER FIRED HIGH PERFORMANCE 460
.030" overbore D1VE block
TRW L2443NF-30 forged pistons (13.2:1 c/r with current heads)
Speed Pro rings
Super Cobra Jet rods with floated pins
Polished internal balance crank
Clevite bearings
Melling CJ oil pump
Unported D0VE cylinder heads w/bronze guide inserts and 3-angle valve job
Crane valve springs
Crane roller rockers
Comp Cams rocker studs & guideplates
Moroso tall valve covers
Manley 3/8" pushrods
Howards solid lifters with laser lube hole
Comp Cams solid lifter cam .649I/.642E 270*/276*@.050" 108*LC
Cloyes True Roller timing chain
Melling CJ oil pump & front sump pan
Fluidamper included
Just $2750
http://home.earthlink.net/~checkwithlegal/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/466motor.jpg
Serious inquiries only, please. Engine must be picked up in the Los Angeles area for this price. PM me for details.
__________________________________________________ _________
High Flow Dynamics 429/460 Quick Change Timing Cover Allows quick access for cam timing changes without removal of the cover.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350CoverOnCoverA.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350NewCaseAndCover.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350CoverMachinedEdgesA.jpg
Cast from virgin ingot aluminum, then heat treated
356-T6
CNC machined
Fits all types of 429/460 blocks (Passenger, Boss 429, A-460, Aluminum, etc)
Crank seal is externally servicable
Cam timing changes may be made without removing the timing chain case(Cloyes Hex-A-Just)
Camshaft changes may be made without removing the timing chain case (Milodon & Pete Jackson gear drives)
Accepts most cam-driven accessories
Available in Ford snout or Hemi snout front crank seal
Available as-cast and machined (shown above), cast/fully machined, or billet (special order)
May be polished, anodized, painted or powdercoated
Modular design. Options/Accessories include cam drive spud & hex drive, blower idler bracket, more (these items and more exist but are to be announced/available at a later date).
Stainless socket head cap screw mounting hardware is included
Jet Boaters: Cam drive accessory hole in the cam gear cover plate may be plugged with a 1-1/4" brass freeze plug.
Made In U.S.A.
We have looked at most of the other covers available and they seem to range from $175 (not fully machined) to $400, and none of them offer cam gear access as ours does.
Priced at $299 as pictured above, hardware included. Also, as an introductory bonus, these particular ones include the waterpump block off pads being drilled and threaded for 10-AN fittings. Future covers will not have this feature included except as an added cost option (drilling for fittings will be up to the end user in the normally produced cover).
High Flow Dynamics Modified Melling Stage 1 Performance Prepped Oil Pump. Stage 1 oil pumps flow beyond that of the standard M84DHV. Our Stage 1 pump suits most engine builds, incorporates modified passages and the relocated bypass piston of our Stage 2 pumps, and utilizes any oil pump pickup tube for the rear-loading oil pumps like the M84DHV. Also, the Stage 1 pumps will now come with two spare stainless steel shims and one new bypass spring plug so that those who wish to "shim up" the oil pump pressure for their specific build will have the parts in hand.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Stage_1_Pump.jpg
Stage 1 Oil Pump: $119.95
We also have a large selection of C9VE, D0VE and D3VE heads in stock, cleaned and blasted and ready for portwork custom tailored to your specific build. Cleaned and blasted bare unported castings start at $299.
LO

'78 gt boat
08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
The boat place was veruy specific on making sure I signed where they wrote," Boat as is no return. No warranty expressed or implied. No work needed to be done." They also put we sea trialed it and it was ok. Even though now we know it was running on onlt two of the four barrels on the carb. I have a feeling I am gonna get hosed on this one. I spoke to paul and he is gonna give me a call today on a short block. Thanks for the info.

LAFD
08-09-2005, 09:39 AM
The boat place was veruy specific on making sure I signed where they wrote," Boat as is no return. No warranty expressed or implied. No work needed to be done." They also put we sea trialed it and it was ok. Even though now we know it was running on onlt two of the four barrels on the carb. I have a feeling I am gonna get hosed on this one. I spoke to paul and he is gonna give me a call today on a short block. Thanks for the info.
THIS WASNT THE BOAT HOUSE OF ANEHEIM WAS IT. GOT BENT OVER BY THOSE FOCKERS...

Devilman
08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Damn, bro! Been followin yer threads here. Sorry to hear about yer streak o' luck.... went there recently on a pick-up. Keepin the fingers crossed for ya!

'78 gt boat
08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
This is Olympic boat centers. They are all across the western seaboard. Buying a new boat is a snap from them and they take care of you really good on that part of the buisness. When you buy a used boat on the other hand unless it's within a couple of years old they won't warranty anything on the boat. At least with my situation. They keep saying," it's a 30 year old boat what do you expect." They told me it checked out ok and now I want to see the tests they did on it. Compression test showed 150 that I did yesterday before I took it out. Some reason oil pressure never really got up there and then it went. It sucks but what are ya gonna do? :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :cry: :cry:

87 rogers
08-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Give me a call If you want a good engine. Dale at m&s engine works 1 800 865 6240

'78 gt boat
08-09-2005, 03:54 PM
I want to get a good 460 shortblock. The heads, intake and carb are all good.