PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about building a home. I need some answers/feedback.

totenhosen
08-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Okay guys I'm looking at a piece of land (about 6370 sq ft.). The lot is a view lot and may require some grading. My plan would be to put a 2,000 sq ft home, most likely two story. So my question is what is the build time on something like this, estimated cost, things to consider and look for.
(I have a general idea about the entire process but I guess I wanted some feedback from people that have done this or build homes.)

Sportin' Wood
08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Time frame all depends on you. I have done customs that are done well in 6 months and I have done customs that are a pain in the a$$ that take 3 years.
The last custom home I ever started was a friend that works in the business. He did it Owner builder, and was moving in 6 months later.4000 sq ft in Murrieta city limits. His wife is sharp and did all the paper work and line waiting. Her great looks and low cut shirts helped move it along. I asked her one morning joking if she was headed to the building dept. in her tight gym shorts, She laughed and said " Well you don't think I would wear this to the gym do you?" :D I had no trouble manning that job. The guys would fight to work there.

Cas
08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
better check with the city or county to find out what the allowable lot coverage is to build a house. Coverage includes the garage, decks, walkways, driveway, etc. The codes can vary greatly from city to city around here especially on a hill.

SummitKarl
08-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay guys I'm looking at a piece of land (about 6370 sq ft.). The lot is a view lot and may require some grading. My plan would be to put a 2,000 sq ft home, most likely two story. So my question is what is the build time on something like this, estimated cost, things to consider and look for.
(I have a general idea about the entire process but I guess I wanted some feedback from people that have done this or build homes.)
tell me where the lot is please?

totenhosen
08-10-2005, 06:55 AM
thanks guys. Drove by the lot yesterday and looks like it is a lot steeper than I expected. Going to figure out if it is even worth taking the next step forward.

PHX ATC
08-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Plan on a year from turning in your permit applications. That way if you're living in it in 6 months, you're extra happy.
Plan on going 20% over budget from your initial estimates. You will add stuff on the way.
Do it. You won't regret it.

C-2
08-10-2005, 07:58 AM
We are about to do the same. Shooting for $110 per square foot, we know a lot of peeps who can help us keep the costs down. We are being told $20K for the permits in City of Riverside. Many cities have "infill" programs designed to encourage the build up of vacant lots. For example where we live, if I can get the city to classify opur parcel as an infill, that $20K in permits will drop down to $3-$4K.
Currently exploring the idea of hiring a consultant to handle all the red tape, we need to bring water on, we already have an existing well, and need a good size pad built up to take advantage of our view (and for a bitchen infinity pool).
I think mudxprt is also building a custom right now.

HocusPocus
08-10-2005, 08:15 AM
every contractor i know is has more work then they can handle right now and if the house gets completed in a year.. your lucky.

HOSS
08-10-2005, 08:22 AM
200 a square? Damn thats high.

mxbundy
08-10-2005, 08:36 AM
20k just for permits? WTF! :devil:
And this supposed to be a free country! Yeah, if you can buy your freedom!
Does anyone know what the break down is on these permits and the cost of each? :confused:
This is just retarded, wonder how many people are priced right out of building a house before they even get started? :rolleyes:
bundy

mxbundy
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
And yeah 200 a square does seem high.
That would be, what $400.000 for a 2000 sq. ft house? :220v:
Acouple of years ago I was looking to move back to Fla. and was looking at a 20 acre parcel and was quoted from 75 a square for a basic home to around 125 a square for a bitchen custom ( granite , etc. )
bundy

lucky
08-10-2005, 09:37 AM
ever check out coolhouseplans.com
build a block garage and roll a modular on top - wil cut your costs down and if its done right you will never know

abraman1326
08-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Good luck in building your home. Just an FYI, there are lenders out there now that do Construction to permanent loans. 1, 3, 5, 7, 15, and 30 year fixed. You lock in the rate when you apply, and don't have to go back through the approval process after your construction is finished. Only 1 appraisal, credit report, and escrow. Saves you some money in the end by not having to do a construction loan first, then after it's completed do another loan for your mortgage. Let me know if you want any more info, or talk to your mortgage broker...
BRA