PDA

View Full Version : First time on Mead...Spectacular!!!!

Big Bear
08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Found out I had a weekend off at the last minute, called my buddy in Vegas, hooked up the boat and Mrs. Big Bear and I went for it.
Got an early start Friday so the traffic was not a major factor but got pissed on hard twice!! My boat looked like kids had slung mud at it when we got in Fri. night. Looked pretty damned good when we first hit the road though!!
Sat on Mead was great. After questioning my intelligence all the way thru the desert Fri. night, we could not have asked for a better day on Sat!! Burned up a lot of gas and had a blast doing it. Water was about 84 degrees and once we got past the narrows hardly any chop to speak of. Great lake!! We look forward to going again.
The trip home was a nightmare!!!! F#@king Carlisle tires!!!!! Hit the road about 10:30 and thought we were early enough. Just leaving Vegas on the 15, I hear a pop and my left rear tire is shredded. :mad: Pulled off and found a decent spot to change to the spare. F#@k me, it was hot!!! My spare only had 42 pounds in it (dummy) and had to back track to Silverton to get air, only after kissing ass in the truck garage because their air pumps out front were broken. Now I'm hot and I'm pissed enough to lose it, but after we get back on the freeway and the AC atarts to cool me off I think maybe it aint so bad. 5 minutes later I feel something and sure enough my left rear tire is shredded. F#CK!!!!! I pull off again and start all over. No more spare so I move the mid axle tire to the rear (thank god I got a triple axle instead of the tandem that came standard with the boat). Mrs. said it looked like I had a water spigot pouring off my face while I was working.
So on pins and needles we nurse it home complete with the stop and go traffic we are now stuck in!! 8 hours of torture!!
I will go back again, BUT not until I trash those f#@king Carlisles and put some Goodyears on my trailer.
Hey.......thanks for listening!!! :D :D :D

Debbolas
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Lake Mead is awesome, we usually do at least a 3 day trip because of the long drive...sorry about your tires, on our way back from Powell we popped 2, and then one the month before on our way back from Katherines......
We did Lake Mead on a 3 day weekend and it wasn't EVEN crowded, but I guess it can get a little windy...
Was the water up?
Do ya have any pics? :D

welk2party
08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Was just there on Saturday and it was AWESOME!

Debbolas
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
HOW OLD ARE YOUR TIRES?, THEY replaced all of ours(6- came by ups) and no probs again,let me know if you want the # ;)
XOXO
Hi BABY!!!
:D

Havasu Luvr
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Robey, glad the trip was a total enjoyment. Next time give me a call on ANY last minute trips. Would love to tag along with ya. Damn tires ! ! ! :D been there done that :hammer2:

Debbolas
08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
how are ya ?we just got back from powell (powell fest)see pics over at lvhb,(SORRY FOR THE JACK )
Doing ok,
Ok, I will go look now :D

Big Bear
08-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Mead is still down 40-50 feet. Wasn't crowded at all, launched at Callville and there were no lines at the ramp. Worth the trip!!!
Hey T & B, Who was "they" referring to replacing your tires?? We got the boat and trailer Aug of 03 so 2 full years. That makes 4 Carlisles I have blown but the first time I blew more than one on a trip. Extreme recommends Goodyears for it. Why the hell didn't they put them on new?? I should call them back and vent. The rear tire took my plate with it so I had to order a new plate holder today and will have to call for a new plate tomorrow.
I do have pics but my comp or maybe it's me, is real slow and with the long hours I'm working, dont know how long it will take me to post.
I know, piss poor excuse but it's the only one I have!! :D :D

Big Bear
08-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey David, I thought about you but this was an old friend who has been after Fran and me to come out and stay at his place, so I didn't feel comfortable springing any surprises on him at the last minute.
We miss you guys!!!! ;) ;)

burtandnancy
08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey Guys, take it from an old boater: You need to change your trailer tires about as often as your boat batteries. I boated for over 30 years, and never wore out a trailer tire, but they will rot out very quickly. The chemicals in tires have a very short life even if parked indoors most of the time. The only thing worse than having a dead battery on the lake is a blow-out on the freeway. BTW, look at the accident pictures caused by a blow-out over on the Las Vegas Hot Boat forum posted just today. That one could cost him his boat and his truck...

dicudmore
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey Robey glad to hear you had a good time, except for the tow part...
Look forward to floating with you guys anytime :cool:

Big Bear
08-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info, T & B. I dont know if I want any more Carlisles on my trailer. I have not heard much good about them and my own experience is not good either. I am leaning to getting the Goodyears and keeping the 4 remaining Carlisles and put them on plain rims for emergency spares. I could have used one on Sunday.