PDA

View Full Version : Nuke Em.....

Jbb
08-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Underwater test video (http://www.ueba.net/go/7273)

Huckleberry
08-10-2005, 03:31 AM
I wonder how many of those people they showed watching that thing go off are still alive after all the radiation they were exposed to.

Sleek-Jet
08-10-2005, 03:34 AM
I wonder how many of those people they showed watching that thing go off are still alive after all the radiation they were exposed to.
My Grand-father was there, and he's still knockin' around... :D

SmokinLowriderSS
08-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Actually, they were likely exposed to far less that most people think. There are 3 types of nuclear radiation. Alpha particles (stoppable by a sheet of paper), Beta Particles (stopable by a layer of cloth) and Gamma Rays (stoppable by about a foot of lead). The particles are actually more dangerous to people that the rays. They get into lungs and cause cancer. The blast was underwater so the water would absorb all the particles. Most people there, if they died of cancer, was probably lung cancer from smoking (comon habit then).

Craig
08-10-2005, 07:29 PM
You forgot about neutrons, ;) the worst thing we deal with. Granted the only time you see them is when a reactor is at power or a bomb blast (for the most part). But the stupid slow alpha particle can give you an internal dose over exposure very quickly. Leaking fuel, which causes alpha contamination areas are a hassle as well. We can shield gamma rays a heck of a lot eaiser than neutrons. The whole theory of the neutron bomb was to blast everything with neutrons. Really doesn't hurt inanimate objects like buildings, but tears the hell out of living tissue. Everyone's dead, the buildings are ready to move into, short of maybe a few activation products :D You're right about more folks probably dying from lung cancer from smoking! People ask me if I worry about working in a nuke plant? I say, hey what's one of the first things they do when you get cancer? Radiation treatment, I think of it as preventitive maintenance...j/k! I read a good book years ago called "Atomic Soldier" that talked about the guys that witnessed a lot of tests, interesting reading!
Here's where most of our issues come from, spent fuel!
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/stuff/1R11%20Gold%20Zone.jpg
Craig

wildbillg
08-10-2005, 07:48 PM
You forgot about neutrons, ;) the worst thing we deal with. Granted the only time you see them is when a reactor is at power or a bomb blast (for the most part). But the stupid slow alpha particle can give you an internal dose over exposure very quickly. Leaking fuel, which causes alpha contamination areas are a hassle as well. We can shield gamma rays a heck of a lot eaiser than neutrons. The whole theory of the neutron bomb was to blast everything with neutrons. Really doesn't hurt inanimate objects like buildings, but tears the hell out of living tissue. Everyone's dead, the buildings are ready to move into, short of maybe a few activation products :D You're right about more folks probably dying from lung cancer from smoking! People ask me if I worry about working in a nuke plant? I say, hey what's one of the first things they do when you get cancer? Radiation treatment, I think of it as preventitive maintenance...j/k! I read a good book years ago called "Atomic Soldier" that talked about the guys that witnessed a lot of tests, interesting reading!
Here's where most of our issues come from, spent fuel!
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/stuff/1R11%20Gold%20Zone.jpg
Craig
sooo now the real reason why you gots no kiddos.... to much radiation?