PDA

View Full Version : Katherines / Princess Cove

tmatson
08-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Heading to MOhave in a couple of weeks and was trying to find a way to avoid Katherines, other than driving to Cottonwood. Looks like there are also ramps at Telephone Cove, Cabinsite Point and Princess Cove.
Anyone have the goods on the road conditions to these places and how good it is/isn't to launch at these places. Trying to put a 21 foot Hallett in the water.
Thanks!

LUVNLIFE
08-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Princess Cove is a long dirt road to it, nice ramp though. You won't loike all the dust. Telephone is a good alternative as is Cabinsite. The drawback to Cabinsite is that it is shallow, so you have to back in real far. ;)

Big Warlock
08-11-2005, 08:21 PM
You can launch at either. Telephone does not have any improved facilities. It is a gradual dirt entry. I would walk it out first. You tend to go further in with the truck to get the boat to float and launch. If you don't have 4X4 I wouldn't attempt it. Plus, without ramp and docks and such, you have to swim back or get someone to swim to the boat and from the boat with the truck keys. No big deal, just some planning. Lots of kids in the water and jet skiis all over. Again, no real "ramp" so it is a bit of a game to get close and anchor or swim in for the truck and such.
Princess is a nice facility but the road there sucks. You can rinse off the boat with a car mop and a bucket of water. But when you leave be prepared to wash your boat someplace when you get back. Haven't been down there in a while, but the road was all washboard and makes for a long couple of miles.
Katherine's is ok if you launch early. Better if you can get a slip. They are first come, first serve. If you stay at the motel they will get you a slip with your room. Leaving is another issue. You can wait up to three hours some Sat and Sun nights. We tie up at the guest slips and take turns riding / waiting in the truck and have motorolas to talk to the boat. If you get out before three, your good. After that, it is up to the boat gods as to when you will get out! No matter what, it is one of my favorite lakes to boat on. If you cross the basin in the morning, and it's calm, don't forget it can be nasty in the afternoon. If your not big enough to get on top and make a run, hug the coast on the east side and you can make it.
Have a great time!

XtrmWakeborder
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Telephone cove isn't that bad of a place to launch. It's pretty shallow so you have to back in pretty far, but i've done it with my lowered blazer. Just couldn't open the doors haha

Big Warlock
08-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Your launching a free board challenged jet boat right? He is trying to launch a 21 foot Hallett? That's as big as I would go. and if you have to go deep to float a jetboat, how far will he need to go? :) :)
Just my .02 But your right. It's often times worth the entertainment alone. :boxed: :boxed:

tmatson
08-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Sounds like some good advice.
Thanks Big Warlock, XtrmWakeborder, and LUVNLIFE

H20skier
08-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Launched a 28' Warlock at Telephone with no problem. That was a couple of years ago though. Don't know if conditions might have changed.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
I took the kids there recently on a Thursday for swimming at the beach. A guy attempted to launch his 20+/- foot deep-v Sea Ray, Maxum, or whatever, with a 2WD chevy truck and I thought, "Oh, this is gonna be good." But he had no problems at all, I was both impressed and surpised. He launched right in the middle.

XtrmWakeborder
08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
I've never seen anyone get stuck at telephone cove. The only person i saw having problems was a 28' magic deck trying to get OFF the trailer, and that was because he had the boat loaded down with a ton of people and didnt back in far enough. If i can do it, anyone can. My blazer is about 6 inches off the dirt.

HOOTER SLED-
08-12-2005, 11:27 AM
I launch my 21 footer w/ a 2WD Suburban(not raised) out there, no problems yet. My tail pipe is usually in the water. You have to back pretty far out there. If your vehicle backs into a hole and drops down. You may be screwed. I've been lucky. Beats the lines at Katherines. It's a bitch cleaning up the boat though.

advantage21
08-12-2005, 11:46 AM
i was there two weeks ago launched from telephone no problems with a lifted 2wd avalanche.