PDA

View Full Version : JL Infinite Baffel Subs

filthyrat
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
So has anyone tried the M10IB5 Infinite Baffle subs from JL? I have an Eliminator Daycruiser, and under the bow have two good size bow supports that these could fit in perfect, but I need to stay away from putting too much weight in the bow to keep my speed up. Could you run these without any type of enclosure, just total free-air into the bow. Will I be compromising with these speakers by running them this way?
I am hoping to run the whole new JL marine series in the boat, the 7.7 components as well, 4 of them. Two amps to run the get up, and a JVC head unitto top it off. What so we think of tghese speakers now that they are out there??

BoatFloating
08-12-2005, 07:25 AM
So has anyone tried the M10IB5 Infinite Baffle subs from JL? I have an Eliminator Daycruiser, and under the bow have two good size bow supports that these could fit in perfect, but I need to stay away from putting too much weight in the bow to keep my speed up. Could you run these without any type of enclosure, just total free-air into the bow. Will I be compromising with these speakers by running them this way?
I am hoping to run the whole new JL marine series in the boat, the 7.7 components as well, 4 of them. Two amps to run the get up, and a JVC head unitto top it off. What so we think of tghese speakers now that they are out there??
I had JL's old IB's in my old boat and they rocked. Then they DC'd them and now brought them back as Marine product. If they are like the old style I would say they would sound great. No need for a sealed encloser with them....

Krumbsnatcher
08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
My buddy has the same setup just installed in his boat 38' Fountain. He is running 4 7's with the separates and 4 infinite baffles. I was very suprised on how the base sounded. The first thing i looked for was if he made base boxes under his seat. To my surprise they were not boxed and the baffled version.
I believe they sounded better than normal due to the fact they were still in a seat enclosure acting as some sort of sub box. In overall they sounded good not great, but if all you are looking for is a little bass they will work fine.
-------
On another note i am now making the billet inserts to replace the plastic grills on these puppies, should have em done for the LA and Miami shows.

Tom Brown
08-12-2005, 08:36 PM
An infinite baffle speaker, sometimes called a high Q speaker, does not need an enclosure to control the cone movement. Like all cone speakers, however, it will create rear waves that are exactly 180* out of phase from the front waves. These waves will effectively cancel each other when they meet.
To improve the efficiency of the driver, it would be best to try to keep the rear waves from coming into contact with the front waves as much as possible. It sounds like your cabin compartment will be a decent container for the rear waves.
I've found high Q drivers to be preferable to a poorly enclosed driver. They can sound decent. Of course, nothing compares to a properly designed and constructed bass reflex box for efficient bass.

ROZ
08-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Tom, where is this place called, Vertigo?

UltraSounds
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
back in february, i got ahold of a bunch of the 7inch marine seperates and the ib10's---they sounded fine, the seperates were real good, except the crossover is built into the midrange driver, and can get quite hot, i ran approximately 100 watts to each driver set, and smoked a crossover or two---other than, just wat thatch out for clipping the seperates and make sure you set your gains correctly, and you should be in good shape---also as a side note, if you really want to make the seperates rock, try making a small enclosure for the 7" driver--you will quite surprised as to the output of it

Tom Brown
08-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Tom, where is this place called, Vertigo?
It moves around a lot.