PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the hull

NorCalCat
08-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have any ideas here. The white part just below the water line is turning off yellow color. Can not get it off! I ahve tries everything. Also the water sports are not budging.
Any and all ideas please! :idea:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Can of krylon? :idea: :D

piper
08-12-2005, 02:14 PM
A little bleach in the water and scrub.

Mandelon
08-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Spray on some CLR, let it sit for a minute and vigorously wipe off. Then do it again, and again......wear some goggles and roll around on one of those creepers the mechanics use.
Once done wax that sucker so it won't stick any more... :hammer2:

Throttle
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Spray on some CLR, let it sit for a minute and vigorously wipe off. Then do it again, and again......wear some goggles and roll around on one of those creepers the mechanics use.
Once done wax that sucker so it won't stick any more... :hammer2:
this will work!
also try a "mr clean eraser cleaning bar". this may help your spots too!

Tom Brown
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I've had excellent luck with warm water and dish soap. It really takes off bugs well. I use a net covered sponge.

NorCalCat
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I am going to try the CLR this weekend.
What wax is good, I am hearing from some of the boat detailers that some wax comes off in the water after first use!

MOBrien
08-13-2005, 07:10 AM
there's an old school wax product that I can't remember the name of, but it comes in a metal can and is called "gel gloss". I believe the can was pink? Anyone remember this stuff? It's really good and the application lasts.
Glad you posted this Erik.....I've got the same chore on my list this weekend. I'd rather be boating that's for sure.
FYI - be careful if you use those Mr. Clean magic erasers...they will dull your gel if you rub too hard. They're great on the white interior & white rubrails though. A little orange clean and one of those will whiten up your seats pretty quickly. But again, don't rub too hard or you'll go through the finish.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Do not use magic easers on you gel..... Any cleaning wax will get the scum off......Mark

SOCALDETAIL1
08-13-2005, 01:22 PM
What wax is good, I am hearing from some of the boat detailers that some wax comes off in the water after first use!
And the water knows it's just been waxed how??? Sad to say but there are gas deposits in the water that will strip wax. It's pretty simple I recomend waxing at the begining of the season and at the end. Its just like a car when the gel gets dull or doesn't bead anymore it's time.....Mark

MOBrien
08-13-2005, 01:34 PM
And the water knows it's just been waxed how??? Sad to say but there are gas deposits in the water that will strip wax. It's pretty simple I recomend waxing at the begining of the season and at the end. Its just like a car when the gel gets dull or doesn't bead anymore it's time.....Mark
SOCALDETAIL1----do you know of this "gel gloss" product in the pink metal can??? Also, what's best product to remove the water spots that get baked on from the sun?
thanks,
MOB

lucky
08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
stay out of clearlake -- lmao :D

Boozer
08-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I came across a product called splash that I originally used to get hard water deposits off of windows. After playing with the stuff more and more I found that it also works great for bleaching hulls and drives. I talked to my product rep and he assured me that it is safe to use on gel coat. It's a mild acid that will disolve all of the calcium and bleach out the scum. This stuff is definitely not for the faint of heart though you HAVE to wear gloves when using it.
Follow it up with a good buffing compound and lay some wax. It's definitely some work but well worth it in the end.
If you want to know where to get this stuff let me know and I'll hook you up with my product guy. He has just about every kind of wax, compound, solvent, etc. you could think of and it's all very reasonably priced.

phebus
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM
CLR, or Lime Away works great, and removes the scummy brownish/yellow stains as well as water spots from the bottom of hulls. I've used it for years with no gel problems.

SOCALDETAIL1
08-13-2005, 09:03 PM
SOCALDETAIL1----do you know of this "gel gloss" product in the pink metal can??? Also, what's best product to remove the water spots that get baked on from the sun?
thanks,
MOB
Ive seen it but never used it. It's been a while since ive seen it. For water spots we use acid dilluted with water. Mach in Pacoima makes a good one. So does Production Waxes makes a good one, Mark 5's acid is way too strong. Back in the day we used to use Lime Away.....

SOCALDETAIL1
08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I came across a product called splash that I originally used to get hard water deposits off of windows. After playing with the stuff more and more I found that it also works great for bleaching hulls and drives. I talked to my product rep and he assured me that it is safe to use on gel coat. It's a mild acid that will disolve all of the calcium and bleach out the scum. This stuff is definitely not for the faint of heart though you HAVE to wear gloves when using it.
Follow it up with a good buffing compound and lay some wax. It's definitely some work but well worth it in the end.
If you want to know where to get this stuff let me know and I'll hook you up with my product guy. He has just about every kind of wax, compound, solvent, etc. you could think of and it's all very reasonably priced.
Splash is a Mark 5 product pretty good but not good enough, If your getting hard water spots from the lake you don't have wax on the boat. Wax the boat and glass and watch the water bead off. Thats what you want.A little trick for you guys is to get some WD40 on a rag and wipe the front of the hood and front bumper before going to the river, then there will be no bugs sticking to your trucks....

Mandelon
08-13-2005, 09:15 PM
I use Tobtek's stuff or CLR to take off the really tough water spots. Then a coat of spray on quickwax from McGuiars (sp?) works well to keep them from getting too stuck on there.

phebus
08-14-2005, 11:54 AM
If you do want the Gel Gloss product, they sell it at Home depot in the plumbing section. It is used for the fiberglass shower surrounds.

Raisin Wake
08-15-2005, 06:54 PM
If you do want the Gel Gloss product, they sell it at Home depot in the plumbing section. It is used for the fiberglass shower surrounds.
It works great!!!!!