PDA

View Full Version : 2500hd

BLT4SPD
08-13-2005, 07:41 AM
i have 2005 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 V8,we just bought a new 28' weekend warrior, do you think i will need to get air bags for the rear of the truck.any info would help ,thanks

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Probably would ride a lil smoother :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2005, 07:47 AM
Depends on the tongue weight. How much tongue weight does it have?
Bags will lift a sagging rear, but I'm not sure about "smoother"... :confused:

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Depends on the tongue weight. How much tongue weight does it have?
Bags will lift a sagging rear, but I'm not sure about "smoother"... :confused:
When I say smoother I mean when you hit bumps it softens it thanks :messedup:

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2005, 07:59 AM
My last truck ran smoother without the bags (the softer the suspension, the smoother the ride). When I added bags, it added stiffness to help the leafsprings, and raised the rear while towing.
Raising the rear helped get the steering geometry back in line, and the truck handled alot better when towing (less sway).
Maybe the "smoothness" you are talking about is on bagged trucks where the springs are removed? :confused:

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 08:01 AM
My last truck ran smoother without the bags (the softer the suspension, the smoother the ride). When I added bags, it added stiffness to help the leafsprings, and raised the rear while towing.
Raising the rear helped get the steering geometry back in line, and the truck handled alot better when towing (less sway).
Maybe the "smoothness" you are talking about is on bagged trucks where the springs are removed? :confused:
No not really well I have a 2500 hd and when I tow my 26 foot Eliminator I feel it bouncing alot in the ass end when I hit bumps. Now when I towed with my denali that had the autoride which airs the back end up with air bags it made going over the bumps smoother :hammer2:

pixilatedpussy
08-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Probably would ride a lil smoother :D
Hi cutie! :wink:

Magic34
08-13-2005, 08:03 AM
You will not need air bags. Just make sure you have the weight distribution hitch with a sway bar and the truck will ride level and the swaying will be almost non-issue. I had a 2005 Weekend Warrior 30' that I pulled with my '04 2500 HD. You'll be fine.
I have had 3 of those trucks, and pulled up to 16,000# with them, never needed bags.
By the way, cold air intake and exhaust really help that 6.0L out. Check out www.prodyno.com and look at the Pro Cold air intake.
Look below at my sig, that's a 34' boat and 2500HD without bags, it's level.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 08:04 AM
A friend had a 2003 1500HD 2wd with 6.0. Bought a 26' W.Warrior, 2 400 quads. Temps rose significantly on hills, and everyone was passing by. After a few trips where hills were involved, they sold it and got a Duramax. Just a heads-up for the future. You will probably want to start looking at upgrades (airflow meter, air intake, programmer, exhaust) if you plan to keep the 6.0 with 28 footer. You will for sure be wanting to pull it dry. The 1500HD was slightly lighter than your 2500 and I assume you are 4wd? Heavier yet.
Yes on airbags. The 26 footer squats their new 2500HD, till some air is added. Plus, I have them on the dually and it's the best thing since sliced-bread. In the future, I will go with the auto-level kit with sensor. Instead of pressing the up/down buttons in the glove box, it will just maintain whatever ride-height the sensor is set at. Hands-free. It is a $100 or so more than the standard kit, but I think it would be trick.

ParkerRat
08-13-2005, 08:07 AM
I've got a 2500HD with an 8" Fabtech Lift and I tow a 30' Warrior. On my first trip to the desert with the new trailer I didn’t have air bags. I've had problems with the Pitman & Idler Arms wearing with the lift. I had just had them replaced (again) before leaving for the desert and they were working great. By the time I got back from that trip they were completely worn and my tires were facing inward and squealing every time I took off from a stop. The tongue weight is too much for the wimpy stock steering! Since I added the air bags I haven’t had a single problem. I had to sacrifice the smooth ride while towing but it was worth it.

BLT4SPD
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
we had a 21' toy hauler and we pulled it with my wifes escalade the auto ride fought aginst the trailer,when we hit a dip the car tried to fight aginst the hauler thats why i sold my new corvette to get a truck,i just want to know if i hook it up to my truck is the ass end going to sag. p.s i dont know any of you people but i am really glad to get your input.we run down at parker,21'blown river tunnel,it's still for sale....$33,000 or make me an offer.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi sugar :D

sigepmock
08-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Wow a 28' behind the 6.0L. I beat the crap out of 2500HD 6.0L with a 26' WW. :jawdrop: Not knocking you but I think you're going to need more truck. We made one trip with the WW and I bought a Whipple Supercharger for the truck because it was really struggling. I added air bags, regeared, reprogrammed the ECM, etc......etc....I spent a ton of money on that truck trying to make tow better and finally ending up selling it and buying a Diesel. Man I wish I had done it sooner and saved myself a lot of money.
But to answer you're question definately add airbags on the rear to help level the truck and help control the bouncing when hitting bumps and ditch the stock shocks for a set of Bilsteins 5100's or Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks.
Chris

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Agreed. Do you HAVE to get airbags? No. It will manage just fine w/o them. Will it dip the rear of the truck w/o them? Yes. That's what I can't handle. My 1-ton springs will sag a little with the boat on. It just doesn't look good to me, so I have the bags to bring it level again.
Maybe it's 2wd vs. 4wd, but mine rides better with air in the bags. I can let them down to nothing and the truck is just a smidge below level in the rear (ass-low). And it rides fine. With about 20lbs in the bags, it sits slightly elevated in the rear, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch above the front. That's where I usually run it - empty. I put about 60-70 in them for towing and it's a nice, cushioned ride. Doesn't feel like the stiff, 1-ton ride.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Agreed. Do you HAVE to get airbags? No. It will manage just fine w/o them. Will it dip the rear of the truck w/o them? Yes. That's what I can't handle. My 1-ton springs will sag a little with the boat on. It just doesn't look good to me, so I have the bags to bring it level again.
Maybe it's 2wd vs. 4wd, but mine rides better with air in the bags. I can let them down to nothing and the truck is just a smidge below level in the rear (ass-low). And it rides fine. With about 20lbs in the bags, it sits slightly elevated in the rear, maybe 1/2 to 1 inch above the front. That's where I usually run it - empty. I put about 60-70 in them for towing and it's a nice, cushioned ride. Doesn't feel like the stiff, 1-ton ride.
This about sums it up good answer :cool:

Redneck
08-13-2005, 08:29 AM
hey there sexy

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 08:30 AM
hey there sexy
shes talking to me thread jacker :rolleyes:

Miss Perfect
08-13-2005, 08:31 AM
hey there sexy
Can I get in on this action?
Hey Hot stuff! :D

Redneck
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Can I get in on this action?
Hey Hot stuff! :D
Hey there sexy how is your truck any good news?

Redneck
08-13-2005, 08:36 AM
shes talking to me thread jacker :rolleyes:
least im just a thread jacker

Froggystyle
08-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Are you "air over steel" or straight air?
I ask because I run mine significantly higher than that both towing and not towing. 20 pounds in mine pretty much puts it laying frame.
My front has way too much air in them too at 160. I would like to air it down but the tires crash.

Redneck
08-13-2005, 08:39 AM
i have 2005 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 V8,we just bought a new 28' weekend warrior, do you think i will need to get air bags for the rear of the truck.any info would help ,thanks
I put air bags on my dodge 2500 I love them. Helps alot when I put my camper on my truck or even tow anything. Makes the steering alot better you dont get the floating in the front end. If you have any more questions pm

Miss Perfect
08-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Hey there sexy how is your truck any good news?
No news yet. :mad:

Redneck
08-13-2005, 08:41 AM
No news yet. :mad:
call me if you need anything sent my # to your pm

mbrown2
08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
No not really well I have a 2500 hd and when I tow my 26 foot Eliminator I feel it bouncing alot in the ass end when I hit bumps. Now when I towed with my denali that had the autoride which airs the back end up with air bags it made going over the bumps smoother :hammer2:
Rob,
Those are two completely different suspensions and the bags are only part of it...my 2500hd feels like a Corvette (stiff) versus the wife's Escalade which feels like a Mercedes (smooth) ....ones a truck ride, and ones a posh SUV ride..:)

Miss Perfect
08-13-2005, 08:42 AM
call me if you need anything sent my # to your pm
Awww... thanks ;)

BLOWN HOWARD
08-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Wes you get my bags yet??? Call me Chris

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Doesn't feel like the stiff, 1-ton ride.
There's a big difference between a 1-ton and a 3/4 ton (2500) ride, and need for bags.
Keep in mind that bags will put all the tongue weight on the rear axle (and rear tires), while a weight-distributing hitch spreads it over all four tires. This is not a issue with a 1-ton dually, where the tongue weight is spread over the 4 back tires.

BLOWN HOWARD
08-13-2005, 08:51 AM
What if the distribution hitch doesnt help enough. What are the pro's and cons of running bags and weight dist hitch.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 08:51 AM
There's a big difference between a 1-ton and a 3/4 ton (2500) ride, and need for bags.
Keep in mind that bags will put all the tongue weight on the rear axle (and rear tires), while a weight-distributing hitch spreads it over all four tires. This is not a issue with a 1-ton dually, where the tongue weight is spread over the 4 back tires.
Good point.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Rob,
Those are two completely different suspensions and the bags are only part of it...my 2500hd feels like a Corvette (stiff) versus the wife's Escalade which feels like a Mercedes (smooth) ....ones a truck ride, and ones a posh SUV ride..:)
Mike we arent talking to you shhhhhhhhhhh :p :)

Redneck
08-13-2005, 09:02 AM
I do both bags and weight dist.

sigepmock
08-13-2005, 09:03 AM
What if the distribution hitch doesnt help enough. What are the pro's and cons of running bags and weight dist hitch.
I ran both the air bag helpers (5000lb air lift bags over leaf springs) and a weight dist. hitch on my 2500HD with a 26' WW. Ran the bags at 60psi to keep the truck level, ran the weight dist hitch medium load on the bars, with the sway control, and finally had a set of rancho 9000x that I wouls set to level 7 or eight when towing. I would always run teh weight dist hitch over air bags because of the way it evens out the load to all four tires not just the rear axle, but running both really made a difference for me.
Empty I ran the bags a 5lb and couldn't feel the difference.
I would be more worried about having enough power out of that little 6.0L(366 CI) pulling that big trailer. I sold mine at 65,000miles and it was giving up the fight fast. CaSean on the boards also pulled a 26' WW with the same truck no s/c and he just upgraded to the DMax too because he couldn't handle the 45 mph hill climbs a 5000rpms and the thought of that motor going BOOM!!!! and stranding him, not to mention the 4mpg he got towing!!!!
Those WW are absolute heavy PIGS!!!!!

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Mike we arent talking to you shhhhhhhhhhh :p :)
I gotta join you on the Escalade thing. My wife's Yukon with Auto-ride (same as Cadi) leveled out quite nicely with Beer-30 behind it. The tow/haul mode puts extra emphasis on the rear suspension for stability and such. GM has a real nice system there.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433tomom.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I've thought about that alot lately. I switched to a weight-distributing hitch with my current boat, since it has around 1,500 lbs of tongue weight. You gotta do some math:
Since my truck weighs 5,796lbs dry, and 47% of it is on the rear axle, that means that each tire is supporting 1,362lbs without gear or gas. Let's say another 750lbs for people, gear and gas, or 2,112lbs/tire
Since my tongue weight is 1,500lbs, I need to add another 750lbs to each tire- 2,862lbs total. My BF Goodrichs are rated at 3,400lbs, so I would still be OK.
To be safe, I transfer about 500lbs to the front tires, but I still get a little sag. I'm not sure I could transfer much more without straining the tongue on the trailer (it really clamps hard on the ball).
Could you have bags and a weight-distributing hitch? Sure...I guess depending on your tires and the weight you are towing.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 09:15 AM
My BF Goodrichs are rated at 3,400lbs, so I would still be OK.
That's one of the things I love about duallys. Hadn't got down the actual capacities, but I just looked at the tires. The 225/75-16 10 plys have a dual rating of 2470/ea. Truck is 6120 unladen. I would say the trlr puts 7-800 on the ball.

Magic34
08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I think you guys are leading him to a little of overkill and a waste of money.
Not trying to start a war here, but why did my truck ride damn near level with a 14,000# weight distribution hitch pulling my 30' Weekend Warrior (smooth sides, slide out, 1 golf cart, 2 quads, 150 gallon of water that I always towed with) which was much, much heavier than his new 28' WW.
I had 20" wheels and 325/50R20 Nittos, if that makes a difference????
If you are leaving the truck stock height, I see no reason to put bags on. $400 in wieght distribution hitch and sway bar, and it should be just fine.
Now if you lift the truck, I am out of this debate. :)

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
That's one of the things I love about duallys. Hadn't got down the actual capacities, but I just looked at the tires. The 225/75-16 10 plys have a dual rating of 2470/ea. Truck is 6120 unladen. I would say the trlr puts 7-800 on the ball.
GM says that you have a 53/47 bias, which puts 2,876lbs on the rear axle, or only 719lbs/tire with no gas or gear. That's why you can put a big-ass load back there, and those E-rated tires are just laughing at you.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 09:34 AM
I think you guys are leading him to a little of overkill and a waste of money.
Not trying to start a war here, but why did my truck ride damn near level with a 14,000# weight distribution hitch pulling my 30' Weekend Warrior (smooth sides, slide out, 1 golf cart, 2 quads, 150 gallon of water that I always towed with) which was much, much heavier than his new 28' WW.
I had 20" wheels and 325/50R20 Nittos, if that makes a difference????
If you are leaving the truck stock height, I see no reason to put bags on. $400 in wieght distribution hitch and sway bar, and it should be just fine.
Now if you lift the truck, I am out of this debate. :)
No, that makes sense. You didn't raise it, so it had the stock 2-inch "rake" about it. Rear end was higher than front. Add the tongue weight and it would level. That's why GM leaves the rears so high.
Maybe your's was a heavier spring pack, but the person I was talking about previously get's rear sag on the stock 4x4 2500HD with the 26' WW. 2-quads, 26 fuel, 120 fresh. They put about 30-45 lbs in the bags to level it. Weight-dist hitch and all. You would break the tongue in half before you could get 1/2 of the tongue weight to the front wheels.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 09:36 AM
GM says that you have a 53/47 bias, which puts 2,876lbs on the rear axle, or only 719lbs/tire with no gas or gear. That's why you can put a big-ass load back there, and those E-rated tires are just laughing at you.
It came stock with D's, but I like the piece of mind between Barstow and Needles.

Sleek-Jet
08-13-2005, 10:07 AM
So how often is he going to be pulling it and how far?? I wouldn't recomend to go buy a diesel just to pull a trailer around once a month on 200 mile trips. On a couple hundred mile trip, getting down to 40 - 45 mph on a couple hills is only going to add a few minutes to the trip.
The 6.0 puts out more HP and Torque than the 454 did just several years ago. So what if you have to wrap it up to get it, as long as you don't go over the redline, she'll hold togather. Or you could slow down a little. :notam:
I say the guy is using just what he needs for what he wants to do.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 10:11 AM
So how often is he going to be pulling it and how far?? I wouldn't recomend to go buy a diesel just to pull a trailer around once a month on 200 mile trips. On a couple hundred mile trip, getting down to 40 - 45 mph on a couple hills is only going to add a few minutes to the trip.
The 6.0 puts out more HP and Torque than the 454 did just several years ago. So what if you have to wrap it up to get it, as long as you don't go over the redline, she'll hold togather. Or you could slow down a little. :notam:
I say the guy is using just what he needs for what he wants to do.
Another good point. Also depends on how long he plans on keeping the truck. Like Sig said, that WW will beat it down - if used regularly.

BLT4SPD
08-13-2005, 11:06 AM
just want to say it again"all the info im getting from you people is ausome" feel like we are all real good friends.i am going to bring the trailer home from the store and i will let you guys know how it goes.thanks again everybody i hope we can all meet up sometime.keep the info comming in.

sigepmock
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM
just want to say it again"all the info im getting from you people is ausome" feel like we are all real good friends.i am going to bring the trailer home from the store and i will let you guys know how it goes.thanks again everybody i hope we can all meet up sometime.keep the info comming in.
Wait till we start picking on you :hammerhea
Congrats on the new trailer. Hope you don't have that sinking feeling in your stomach like I did when we towed our trailer home the first time......."We're gonna need a bigger truck!!!!!"
Chris

BLOWN HOWARD
08-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Another thing to throw into the loop is that my truck was fine when it was stock height as soon as i lifted it, it seems like i lost alot of the towing capacity. When stock i could get the truck to sit level with the toyhauler on wich weighs in a 15,000 loaded. Since i lifted it the dam thing with the bars as tight as i can get them still sags like a bitch. So bags it is for me.

Beer-30
08-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Center of gravity (cg) and pivot points.