PDA

View Full Version : CA boat registration

Sleek-Jet
08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
OK, I know this is against the grain, but because of extenuating cirumstances I need to register my boat in Cali and I live in Arizona...
What's got me hung up is the Taxes... how much do I pay and who do I pay them to???
Any help???

voodoomedman
08-13-2005, 03:02 PM
OK, I know this is against the grain, but because of extenuating cirumstances I need to register my boat in Cali and I live in Arizona...
What's got me hung up is the Taxes... how much do I pay and who do I pay them to???
Any help???
ummmmmmm. Good question. I'm thinking you might get away with it since you are a non-resident. In california the taxes are assessed by the county in which the vessel is stored or moored. Since you live in Arizona you don't have a California residence to store it at. Tell them that you store it in Arizona and then Arizona won't charge you California tax. And since the law states that you should register where it is used 50% of the time not where it is stored then you should be able to register it and get away with it.
Too bad I have a California drivers' license or I could register mine in Taxifornia with my Arizona address.

Boat Loan Guy
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Is it a new boat or used? If used where is it reg?

Sleek-Jet
08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Is it a new boat or used? If used where is it reg?
Used, currently registered in CA...

socaldj1
08-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I bought my boat new in AZ but live in CA and have waited to register it. CA requires a form BOE106 from the board of equalization to register the boat without paying taxes. If you can show usage outside of CA its better. I'm not sure how it will work since you probably already paid sales tax in AZ when you bought the boat.

Jordy
08-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Imagine that, Sleek doing something totally bass ackwards. :D :D :D

Sleek-Jet
08-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Imagine that, Sleek doing something totally bass ackwards. :D :D :D
Always.... :D

Sleek-Jet
08-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I bought my boat new in AZ but live in CA and have waited to register it. CA requires a form BOE106 from the board of equalization to register the boat without paying taxes. If you can show usage outside of CA its better. I'm not sure how it will work since you probably already paid sales tax in AZ when you bought the boat.
That's what I'm after. This isn't an exersize in getting out of paying sales tax. I need to know who's going to have be paid sales tax, CA or AZ. I'm thinking AZ since that is where I reside, but with CA goofy tax laws, it makes it kind of confusing. :confused:

Boatcop
08-13-2005, 06:07 PM
You'll pay the sales tax at the time and location of purchase, if from a dealer. In a private sale, there's no sales tax required, nor obligation to pay it to anyone.
To register it in California, all you'd have to do is send in the 10 bucks for 2 years (I think) and whatever transfer fee there may be.
Since you're an Arizona resident, there wouldn't be any California Luxury/personal property tax. That's assessed by the California Counties. No such tax on boats in AZ.

Sleek-Jet
08-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks BoatCop.... it's a little clearer now. :D