PDA

View Full Version : Little Girl in the Water

RiverRatRusty
08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
So my buddies and I had our annual guys trip this past weekend and while Friday and Saturday were good Sunday we assisted in something that just shouldn't be happening.
We decided to take the boat out Sunday morning around 10:00am and after stopping for burgers at "Big Buger" on the water we headed towards Copper Canyon. After about 10 minutes of travel we saw a Sea-Doo circling someone in the water. At first we just figured someone had fallen off. After a second glance my buddies yelled for me to turn around and head back. I whippped around and pulled up along side the ski. My buddy dove into the water immediately to recover an 8-10 year old girl with a bad head injury. We pulled her into the boat uncounscious. She was breathing but her forehead had a serious gash that was bleeding everywhere and her whole face was swollen.
A pontoon boat came over as well and we decided to transfer her there for a smoother ride back to the marina. We also got a hold of the Sheriffs department who dispatched an ambulance and boat to assist. We ended up meeting the EMT's at the little Sheriff's marina just a few miles from the down-river-end of the no wake zone leading to the channel.
The worst part was that the mother came up after we had her in my boat asking if she was dead. No emotion no concern and no identifying who she was. She just casually asked if she was dead.
The EMT's worked on her at the marina and as they loaded her in the ambulance we could hear the EMT asking her to stick out her tounge and we saw and heard her make a playful blah blah sound as she stuck out her tounge like a little kid would.
My guess is that she will be OK but we just can't put the whole story together. We heard the mom saying that the ski rolled over and hit her in the head. But we were there shortly after and had time to get her in the boat before the mom even got there. Nobody in my boat remembers seeing any other ski except the ski doing the circling which also had a young girl on board (driving). Based on the injury I'm wondering if she fell off the mom's ski and got hit by second ski.
Had to share what I saw.... everyone be safe out there.

Essex29
08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Damn, great job!

MR HARLEY
08-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Great Job!!

HocusPocus
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
those are things no one wants to come accross.. but you did the right thing. hope the little girl will be ok.

voodoomedman
Good for you!! On the way out of town we saw a fire engine pulling into the sheriff's marina and were hoping everything was okay.

Miss Perfect
Sounds like she was one lucky little girl to have you and your friends around at the right time! I would hate to think what would have happened otherwise.

Water Romper
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
“Is she dead” ???
“IS SHE DEAD” ???
Is that all the “mother” had to say? :confused: My son gets hurt I am all over him.. :frown:
Damn dude, your buds and you should be proud..you very well could have saved that little girls life!
Now a-days people are reluctant to help other people due to B/S law suits and other legal issues. :cry:
Reminds me of what real boaters used to do…help each other.

BLT4SPD
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM
hey rusty,you and your buddies are going to be first in line at the pearl gates when its time.great job,but where the hell was the mother when her young daughter was on that ski

Biglue
08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Good job Bro. The man upstairs should put down a good mark in your grade book for that one.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-16-2005, 03:25 PM
HUge thumbs up!!!!!!!
Only real people with real hearts would have done what you did!!! Your golden in my book;)

Tremor Therapy
08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Good job....karma points all the way around. Nice to know that you were on the ball, when her mother wasn't!

H20 Party Starter
08-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Rusty, I wish there we more boaters like you and your friends, you guys are life-saving heros :) The only way to describe it, good karma points for sure!

Jrocket
08-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Hats off to ya for helping the little girl!!!!
But next time dont hesitate to punch the mom in the mouth for me ok!

SummitKarl
08-16-2005, 04:57 PM
the world needs more people like you Rusty!!!!! Way to go :cool:

Sweet Addiction
08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Excellent job, very nice to know someone is always out there to help, just in case there are accidents.

Mohave Vice
08-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Wonderful job! Your story sent chills through me. Hope the little one is ok! Amazing how some parents are today. ANnyway the best to you!

Wet Dream
08-16-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm going to twist this from another direction like I do from time to time on weird stories like this.
Did mom try to snuff the girl (daughter or step-daughter) and make it look like an accident? Was the girl a passenger and "mom" knocked her off to make a sitting duck pass? Yeah, I know, to some of you this may sound rediculous, but look at the high profile nut jobs out there... Andrea Yates and Susan Smith and tell it can't happen?
I'm so glad that you we're able to help. I hope she is well.

Riverkid
08-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Good karma for everyone in your boat crew, for sure! Nice work by all.

MagicMtnDan
08-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks for doing the right thing! It's not all that common in this day and age and I'm always happy when I see it. Good for you guys and even better for the little girl.

mike37
08-16-2005, 05:33 PM
RiverRatRusty
great job way to look out for the Innocent
you and your buddy should be proud of your selfs

boxscore
08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Nice work there... sounds freakishly similar to an experience I had. Picked up a older guy with a head injury from a jet ski accident a couple years back. Took him over to Windsor... ambulance and paramedics were there in what seemed like seconds! He was screaming for his weapon from the 1st Gulf War. He must have been a Vet. It took three peeps to get him to stay down and his head still while I got the boat over to the docks as fast as possible.... Very spoooky and scary stuff.

Parker Dreamin
08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
great help bud....... you saved her life I bet....

Supultlbich
08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Great Job!!!

Midlife Advantage
08-16-2005, 06:42 PM
yer the man! congratulations on saving a life.

riverroyal
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
even though it means nothing,,,helmets should be the law on PWCs,not full face motorcross,but at least wakeboard helmets.I know it would look lame,but so what,at least anyone under 18 should be wearing them,as a driver or passenger,,,,,,,,,,,,,,by the way nice job helping

RiverRatRusty
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
“Is she dead” ???
“IS SHE DEAD” ???
I know...the more I think about that the more punching her in the face might have been a really good idea. :boxingguy

RiverRatRusty
08-16-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm going to twist this from another direction like I do from time to time on weird stories like this.
Did mom try to snuff the girl (daughter or step-daughter) and make it look like an accident? Was the girl a passenger and "mom" knocked her off to make a sitting duck pass? Yeah, I know, to some of you this may sound rediculous, but look at the high profile nut jobs out there... Andrea Yates and Susan Smith and tell it can't happen?
I'm so glad that you we're able to help. I hope she is well.
Your thought isn't so twisted. As me and the crew put all the parts together we were wondering why things didn't fit. One thing I didn't tell in the opening story was the part about the guy on the Sea-Doo. When we were going into the harbor some guy almost ran into the patrol boat. They yelled at him and then they rolled over. Looked to me like it was full of water (riding really low). After we got on the dock he idled back in and we asked if he was the dad, he said "no! I'm the step dad!" (yes with a weird attitude). Last time I checked if someone asks if the kid is yours the answer is yes. Then to round out the weird antics my buddy was telling me there was a guy in the water when he jumped in to help the girl. But his guy said he wasn't related to the girl and didn't know who she was.
I don't remember seeing another ski so now me and guys are wondering if that was the "step-dad" in the water. Maybe he didn't want to admit that he just ran over the girl. Maybe hitting the girl cracked the ski's hull and that was why it was full of water 10 minutes later in the cove. I'm not 100% sure a human head can crack a hull but this girl was in bad shape. Lots of swelling and blood.
Anything can happen...if the intentions of the parents were wrong I'm glad we got there when we did. The only thing I'm bummed about is that we didn't have our stories lined up to tell the cops.

atomickitn
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
So my buddies and I had our annual guys trip this past weekend and while Friday and Saturday were good Sunday we assisted in something that just shouldn't be happening.
We decided to take the boat out Sunday morning around 10:00am and after stopping for burgers at "Big Buger" on the water we headed towards Copper Canyon. After about 10 minutes of travel we saw a Sea-Doo circling someone in the water. At first we just figured someone had fallen off. After a second glance my buddies yelled for me to turn around and head back. I whippped around and pulled up along side the ski. My buddy dove into the water immediately to recover an 8-10 year old girl with a bad head injury. We pulled her into the boat uncounscious. She was breathing but her forehead had a serious gash that was bleeding everywhere and her whole face was swollen.
A pontoon boat came over as well and we decided to transfer her there for a smoother ride back to the marina. We also got a hold of the Sheriffs department who dispatched an ambulance and boat to assist. We ended up meeting the EMT's at the little Sheriff's marina just a few miles from the down-river-end of the no wake zone leading to the channel.
The worst part was that the mother came up after we had her in my boat asking if she was dead. No emotion no concern and no identifying who she was. She just casually asked if she was dead.
The EMT's worked on her at the marina and as they loaded her in the ambulance we could hear the EMT asking her to stick out her tounge and we saw and heard her make a playful blah blah sound as she stuck out her tounge like a little kid would.
My guess is that she will be OK but we just can't put the whole story together. We heard the mom saying that the ski rolled over and hit her in the head. But we were there shortly after and had time to get her in the boat before the mom even got there. Nobody in my boat remembers seeing any other ski except the ski doing the circling which also had a young girl on board (driving). Based on the injury I'm wondering if she fell off the mom's ski and got hit by second ski.
Had to share what I saw.... everyone be safe out there.
this is the reason that this boating community is soo strong , and my hats off to you . i believe, that every person on this board whould do the same for anybody out there, and yes i feel a little safer knowing that my brothers and sisters have are backs, and vise versa........ :)

Dusty Times
08-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Good job guys!
It's a good thing you were there. It would probably make you and alot of other people sleep better if you made a call to the police and told them all of your feelings and found out how she is and who the hell they were.
You guys definitly deserve a pat on the back

locogringo
08-16-2005, 08:13 PM
You deserve an award! Probably from all of us but from me now... Thank you for being a help that day. Probably subconsciously changed many lives!

Creator
08-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Just one more reason to ban those jerks from the water. There should be a rule that if you don't own a boat you can't own a seadoo. Half the reason for the accidents (not this case) are people have never been driving a boat and been put into a bad situation by some Dipsh@t on a ski. If I had a dollar for every seadoo I've almost hit I could retire now.
Great job on the save man! Glad to hear there are still "true" boaters out there.

meaniam
08-17-2005, 11:11 AM
the mother proably was on the shore. the 2nd seadoo proably went to get her and tell here. they proably let 2 young girls out on 2 ski. and the mother proably was in shock and was unable to react. seen it in bad car wrecks. their reactions are numb. this whole thing was unfortunate. in no way do i feel letting a 10yr old ride a ski a bad thing. if the 10yr old can control it. unfortunate things happen. but i thought you had to be 16 to drive a ski now.

AirtimeLavey
08-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Wow...thank goodness you acted on yours or your buddy's instincts and checked it out. Way to go. Like someone said earlier, you've changed some lives w/your actions. Strange story, but you never know how things could happen.
Was in Havasu Springs a wk or two ago, and encountered a young kid (10 maybe) on a runner by himself. Although I'm sure the parents thought they were being cool by letting him ride alone, I was towing a tube, and he came in way too close to my line. If I didn't have my head on a swivel (and that's another issue with some out there), I could've easily tagged him. NOT COOL! :hammerhea :mad:

R.A.D.man
08-17-2005, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=boxscore]Nice work there... sounds freakishly similar to an experience I had. Picked up a older guy with a head injury from a jet ski accident a couple years back.
Same thing here, two seadoo's collided and it was another head injury. We were afraid to move her, but decided to do so and took her to shore on the swim step where we had called for an ambulance and let them take her from the step on a back board. She was barely concious.
Like riverroyal suggested, some type of head gear would be a good idea on those things. If it were to be a law, that alone would cut down on the number of operators and thus the lake lice in general. It would simply not be cool to many who ride to have to wear a helmet and many would opt out just for that reason. Wouldn't that be sweet.

Sherpa
08-17-2005, 12:36 PM
awesome recovery-! you guys did the right thing for sure.......... and of
course the end will reveal about 4 stories.....
hers.
yours.
the mom's/stepdads,
and the final story being the truth to all of it.
way to go!
--Sherpa

Moe_Havi
08-17-2005, 04:37 PM
What was the guy in the water doing while you were rescuing his "step daughter"? This sounds really wierd. Doesn't LE want to know more about this. I don't know about trying to knock off the kid but it sure sounds like the adults involved were doing something wrong and trying to cover it up. You would think that if an accident just happened and a boat came close by, you might flag it down for help. Strange.
Moe