PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon Thunderstorm....

desertbird
08-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Anybody else get caught up in that mess in Needles on Sunday? We left the Sandbar to avoid the mushroom-cloud thunder head, only to find one in Needles when we got there!!!
60MPH+ wind, Hail, boats crashing into each other at Jack Smith and to top it off we watched a Mobil Home lose it's roof!!!' :sqeyes:
Probably the worst T-Storm I have experienced on the water. Been lucky enough to get off in time every other. :squiggle:

Do F150's Float?
08-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Sat through the whole thing at Moabi...it was a pretty cool experience, wouldn't wanna do it again any time soon though!!!

LAFD
08-17-2005, 08:35 AM
got stuck in it to pulled off into a cove with four other boats. had the sterio goin and had some beers. good times...

SummitKarl
08-17-2005, 08:54 AM
nope I was still busy wipeing the POOP!! off my seats after nearly getting caught in fridays DBL t-storm merge on the lake

Mrs. 4-B
08-17-2005, 08:57 AM
We got our boat back in the garage within minutes of the downpour Sunday! Then we watched the street turn into a raging river! A few hours before we got off the lake we were sitting in the channel and it rained on us from one lonely cloud in the sky that had broken off from the thunderheads. It was a strange day! :squiggle:

cyclone
08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
i knew i was pressing my luck by driving my boat (19-foot Ultra Shadow) down to Topoc. We launched at park moabi and stopped just before the sand bar at a nice sandy beach. Weather was great all day and then all hell broke loose. I was able to outrun the storm for the most part except when i got to the bridge and a 1/2 mile long stretch of 3-foot rollers. the experience made me really appreciate driving a tunnel. I just kept my foot down and blasted right across the tops of the rollers. Got the boat on the trailer and covered up right when things got really nasty. The drive back to the AVI sure was fun. Roads looked like muddy rivers and my lowered dually nearly floated away a couple of times. good times!

desertbird
08-17-2005, 10:31 AM
We got of the water ok, but it was a nasty time walking the boat from the beach to the trailer.
We were beached at Jack Smith in the middle of 6 or so other boats. Unfortunately each of those were being watched by a wife or G/F while the guy was getting the truck! I had my hands full pulling all of our neighbors back on to shore every wind gust.
Driving back on the 95 (AZ side to Laughlin) was fun. We drove threw some "puddles" and the guy in front of me had a Sea Ray with Auto Bilge. Apparantley he left his plug in because every few miles we would see the stream of water piss out the side! :rollside:

pixilatedpussy
08-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Anybody else get caught up in that mess in Needles on Sunday? We left the Sandbar to avoid the mushroom-cloud thunder head, only to find one in Needles when we got there!!!
60MPH+ wind, Hail, boats crashing into each other at Jack Smith and to top it off we watched a Mobil Home lose it's roof!!!' :sqeyes:
Probably the worst T-Storm I have experienced on the water. Been lucky enough to get off in time every other. :squiggle:
We had just pulled our boat up the launch ramp!!!! Freekin crazy at Jack Smiths!! We did the same thing...left the sandbar when it started raining and tried to out run it! We thought we did...only for a little bit I guess! :confused: That was the craziest thing we have ever experienced! :jawdrop:

Rod-64
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
My monsoon adventure......
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89198