PDA

View Full Version : 496HO,another year of warranty?

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 09:41 AM
should I??Heres my question,we did about 85 hrs the first year,i hope to do around 85 next year,so has anyone had any issues between 85hrs and about 150 hours?..I have always felt that things typically break early on,Ive made it this far without any big issues,just a water pump leak.So do I spend the 1600 to 1800$ on another year?

phuggit
08-17-2005, 10:03 AM
If spending the additional money on an extended warranty gives you piece of mind, then do it. From what I've seen the 496 is pretty bulletproof if left unmodified. I've got 210 hours on mine and the only thing I've had to do is the yearly maintenance oil changes and impellar.

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 10:05 AM
worried on the peice of mind,just getting everyones feed back on the motor with some hours on it,,,its a stock motor,no upgrades,in a magic 28 deck

Beer-30
08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
That's a tough call. On my normal vehicles, I always get an extended warr, since they are driven all of the time.
On the boat, I do my own maintenance, so I wasn't afraid of getting one that was out of warranty. I am sitting on 160 hrs of actual engine time (from the ECM) and have only had a human error on the motor. A sensor was left unplugged that cause an ECM error code. Less than $100 to figure it out and have it fixed. The rest is service and bolt-on upgrades.
Generally speaking, parts aren't real spendy - until you talk full engine or drive. A water pump here, drive coupler there. 2/3s of the cost (typically) is labor.
The fact of the matter is, if something is going to happen that costs alot - it is typically in the 5 to 6 year range or more. Warranty long gone anyway. First couple of years is not when catastrophic engine or drive failure occurs. Unless you don't take care of it or drive it like an idiot. Common sense.
Bottom line: if it is running good and you service and drive it the best you can......you SHOULD be ok. Still a tough call, though. That's close to $2K that could go to exhaust or towards a Raylar kit! :devil:

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
its alot of cash,the boat get driven real easy,always kids and families on board,never driven hard

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
need more,someones gotta have a 496 with some hours on it

phuggit
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
RR, you might want to try doing a search over on OSO. I remember someone saying they had almost 500 hours of trouble free hours on a 496.

riverroyal
08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
i will check there